Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone use a console Vault?

I just found these and am wondering if they are worth the $270. There is no console vault, or even 2000 pound gun safe that will absolutely secure a weapon, I get it. What I'm wondering is are these vaults a worthy attempt and protecting my firearm when I can not carry it? Or perhaps you've found something better. My situation is a leased car, so I can't go drilling holes, etc.

Is this vault really adding $250 more protection than the $30 safes that secure by cable to your seat rail?

http://www.consolevault.com/ford.html
    Last edited by joseywales; April 17th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

Default Re: Anyone use a console Vault?

The metal appears to be the same grade as the $30 safes. I'd say these are marginally more secure in that cable/bolt cutters won't easily free this, the thief would need to use socket wrenches.

Per their own words, installation only takes 5-10 minutes. I bet a thief with some socket wrenches could get that uninstalled in under a minute.

There is the added benefit of having a safe that fits into your vehicle.

Thanks. I haven't even begun to shop price, but at $200, it's more desirable.

My issue with smaller boxes and cables isn't so much the security, as nothing is perfect. My issue is where the heck to put it. Underneath the seats of the Explorer is very tight. Plus, I'm guessing I need a long "leash" of cable, in order to pull it out from under the seat, remove gun, etc. With that kind of length, a hard stop could send the safe into the pedals. Passenger side not so much an issue, BUT, my wife's safe would be there.

The console vault should allow at least two weapons and that's what is drawing me in. It might also make the entire remove/replacing of the weapon a lot less clumsy.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

I bought the gun transporter from the same company that makes the console vault, extremely secure, I trust my firearm in it
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Berks County)

That's really nice. I would put that in my truck. Thanks for posting I probably wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.