Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: pistol cleaning

(Philadelphia County)

Default pistol cleaning

Dones anyone like using the synthetic safe bore & action cleaners, I find it to be so fast and then lubricate and all is good just run a patch and your done,I will still clean with hoppe's 9 after maybe 300 rounds.

(Bucks County)

Yeah I use the bore cleaner foam and speed cleaners, but I'm so anal that I end up doing that and then an old fashion Hoppe's 9 job.

(Luzerne County)

i just use clp and a bore snake every 1000 rds.

its a glock

Default Over night express

I have a series of tall glasses I use, I always have one in my cleaning case when i go to the range.

When i finish shooting I take the parts that i need like the Barel, Revolver CYLINDER, chokes to soak a while and drop them in these glasses. Then i fill to the top with Hopes #9.

You will find these testube glasses they have at amusment shops for "shot" glasses are great for this. when I am ready, I pull the part out, brush a few times, clean under very hot running water. "I have all stainless" the oil a tiny bit and its all done.

I can then put the Hopes #9 back in its original bottle, Beware the lead content gets high and the liquid goes dark, but it keeps cleaning.

Here is a pic of the glass type i meanhttp://mark8.org/lod/merchandise/bud_vase.jpg
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lycoming County)

Default Cleaning

I use Clenzoil, cleaning as soon as I return from the range. Scrubbing with bronze or regular bore brushes and patches.

Tried the new Hoppies and found that the original works better.

I started using Clenzoil about a year ago and have found nothing better. Its also safe for a general wipe and for the wood as well.
    I also use a small air compressor to blow out the action.
    Even though Clenzoil has oil, additional oil should be used for lubrication of moving parts, slides, and bolts. I use Mobil 1 just prior to shooting, it has fantastic lubrication properties and holds up very well under heat. The negative part about Mobil 1 is that it tends to deteriorate some plastics and rubber parts.
    Jack

(Allegheny County)

You people clean your guns? That's interesting.

Didn't you see the post on (GT I think) where one person abused a Glock21 to an unbelievable degree with sand, mud, talc, rock salt, on and on and on?

Yeah, eventually I do. The Glocks get it 3 or four times a year. The Kahr a little more. Hoppes and CLP. Bore snake between detail strips.Grease packed in around the connector and in 4 spots along the rails. My 23 broke a rear rail during a 600/700 round class and never skipped a beat.

I did buy some clenzoil at Washington County Fairgrounds gun show but haven't tried it yet.
    Someone there told me it was hard to find. Eventually I'll see how it works.

1927A1, do you clean all your guns immediately after range time and approx. how many rounds between cleanings?
    I clean my AR and other rifles more than my pistols.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Cambria County)

My DH and I clean our guns every time we use them. Depending what time it is when we get home (usually in the late afternoon) they might sit for an hour or two until dinner's done, but they get cleaned immediately after.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Lycoming County)

Default Cleaning & Clenzoil

27hand,

Yes, I clean after every shooting session. The only guns that are cleaned at the range are the .17 after every 25 rounds and the .223 every 100 rounds.
    I oil the slide on my Kimber Gold Match and Colt Defender about every 100 rounds.

I oil the entire collection about once every 6 months if they aren't being used. I did find one problem though with my Dan Wesson, the oil inside the frame got stiff after about 15 years of storage. Clenzoil fixed that without a detail cleaning.

I had a very hard time locating Clenzoil as well so I became a dealer for the product. I've sold a few dozen bottles and haven't received any feed back good or bad.
    Jack

(Lehigh County)

Casual cleaning, boresnakes and a couple of drops of Breakfree after the range for most of the guns; the shotguns get swabbed and wiped down at the range with those Remington oiled wipes, also anything that's gotten wet - I always keep a pack in the field bag. For detailed cleaning use Dunkits for the auto's and Hoppe's and patches for the rifles, although I'm not entirely sure that I'm doing the rifle's correctly since I don't use a boreguide or specialized rod.
    Last edited by junyo; July 31st, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.