Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: disqualification for firearms from the state of Pennsylvania

Harassment by Communication M3 is what my attorney charged my Gay neighbor with in 1997. Sadly, the prosecutor at the DA's office allowed him ARD. She claimed that he needed counseling badly, and only by going on ARD could they insist on that as part of the deal, and not by sending him to jail. I would sure hope to hell that the Sheriff would have the brain to prohibit him from purchase or LTCF, based on the content of his phone calls, which were threatening, and even the prosecutor felt he could have been charged with more, but the attorney I hired to initiate the case was Gay friendly.

My apologies, in advance, if any Gays here are offended, but you'll have to deal with it.

I'm just thinking, that, if someone had to write those words in manually, they must have felt there was something about the details of the case that should prohibit firearms that is not conveyed by the simplicity of the name or grade of the charge.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by CB57 View Post
    Harassment by Communication M3 is what my attorney charged my Gay neighbor with in 1997. Sadly, the prosecutor at the DA's office allowed him ARD. She claimed that he needed counseling badly, and only by going on ARD could they insist on that as part of the deal, and not by sending him to jail. I would sure hope to hell that the Sheriff would have the brain to prohibit him from purchase or LTCF, based on the content of his phone calls, which were threatening, and even the prosecutor felt he could have been charged with more, but the attorney I hired to initiate the case was Gay friendly.

My apologies, in advance, if any Gays here are offended, but you'll have to deal with it.

I'm just thinking, that, if someone had to write those words in manually, they must have felt there was something about the details of the case that should prohibit firearms that is not conveyed by the simplicity of the name or grade of the charge.
    So, is your neighbor's last name Gay? If not, why would you capitalize the "G"? If your neighbor's surname is Gay, why would anyone on this forum who has the same last name be offended??

By the way, I have a tendency to agree with your assertion that if there was reason for manually entering that extra information, there are probably some details that made someone believe that there should be a firearms prohibition. I don't think that such a person should have the right to interject this extraneous opinion...either a charge is prohibitive or it isn't. Some idiot at a computer should not be able to change the rules by adding an opinion.
    Last edited by Democrat Gun Owner; April 17th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    So, is your neighbor's last name Gay? If not, why would you capitalize the "G"? If your neighbor's surname is Gay, why would anyone on this forum who has the same last name be offended??

By the way, I have a tendency to agree with your assertion that if there was reason for manually entering that extra information, there are probably some details that made someone believe that there should be a firearms prohibition. I don't think that such a person should have the right to interject this extraneous opinion...either a charge is prohibitive or it isn't. Some idiot at a computer should not be able to change the rules by adding an opinion.
    His last name is not "Gay", but his first and middle names are Raymond Richard. Curiously enough, folks commonly call him "Dick". You may wish to run the following words through Google:

"Is the word "Gay" capitalized?"

I'll only go off topic for a few more words by adding a small excerpt from Grammar Girl:

When you're trying to decide whether to capitalize a noun, you have to figure out whether it's a proper noun or a common noun because proper nouns are capitalized and common nouns aren't.
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...per-Nouns.aspx

Isn't there something in the rules about domestic violence crimes being prohibitive? How does one know that the charges involve domestic violence, unless someone looks more closely at the specifics? And then there's the C & R clause. How does the Sheriff (or any sheriff) know?

(Monroe County)

As it's used, ... 'gay neighbor', gay is an adjective.

I'm just wondering if someone thought this qualifies as a 'hate' crime.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    As it's used, ... 'gay neighbor', gay is an adjective.

I'm just wondering if someone thought this qualifies as a 'hate' crime.
    So if he's Pennsylvania Dutch, he's a pennsylvania dutch gay neighbor?

Trust me, I don't worry if someone disagrees about that stuff. But I personally do try to use good grammar.

As far as a hate crime, my attorney, who I had to pay for, talked me into going with that charge against the neighbor, claiming a lesser charge would have a better chance of sticking. Now, as far as the OP, if this M3 he committed is a hate crime, would that be prohibitive, and how would we, or the Sheriff, know that?

(Monroe County)

So if he's Pennsylvania Dutch, he's a pennsylvania dutch gay neighbor?
    I think you know better, so what's your point?

As far as a hate crime, my attorney, who I had to pay for, talked me into going with that charge against the neighbor, claiming a lesser charge would have a better chance of sticking. Now, as far as the OP, if this M3 he committed is a hate crime, would that be prohibitive, and how would we, or the Sheriff, know that?
    Guess you're finding out now, attorneys don't always have the client's best interest in mind .... some just want the 'quick win' and the rewards ($$) it brings.

Depends on what was said and how, judge's ruling (they just don't say guilty or not) and whether somebody checked off a box on a form that shouldn't have been. And in my opinion, a hate crime would disqualify a person due to it's nature. Some feel words can escalate to physical action.

I think this shows, sometimes it best to keep your mouth shut, and if words are necessary, choose them carefully.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Delaware County)

CB57
    Whatever the background is doesn't really matter right now.
    I'd recommend trying to have the decision reversed, if for no other reason than having to answer that you've been denied in the past on future applications.

In the long run It will probably be worth it.
    Another thing you could consider is applying for the Florida non resident.
    Virgina is on the list of states that allow it.
    I dont remember if there is a question on the application of whether or not you've ever been turned down but even so it still could be tried.

(Delaware County)

But be honest to yourself and thoroughly research what you were found guilty of. If for instance you find that it fits the criteria for turning down the permit you may risk losing your PA one if you bring it to light.

(Lebanon County)

Just wanted to provide an update after my appeal. I went to court today and provided my current PA LTCF permit, a certified copy of my criminal records report from the PSP, and the letter from the PA sheriff stating he didn't revoke my permit nor does he have any new info giving reason to. The VA circuit court judge reversed the denial order and granted my CHP in VA. Great to hear those words.
    Thanks all for the info.

(Delaware County)

I don't understand what you mean by this statement. An offence is either prohibiting or it is not.

Another point is that maybe someone who has an issue with guns in general added that to the docket sheet.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast