Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Your favorite gun shop around

I feel slightly bad because I just seriously bashed Fazi' Firearms of Allegheny County in another thread. But I honestly don't feel THAT bad because I also don't feel I said anything which is untrue. Nonetheless, I think I at least owe it to myself to be positive as well and say something good somewhere else. Hence, this thread! This thread is going to be about gun shops which you feel more than make the grade and that you would highly recommend for any type of shooter or collector.

Since moving to P.A. I've visited several gun shops in Allegheny and Butler Counties and I've come to discern which ones I think are worth returning to on a regular basis. I've visited about 6 or 7, including Verona Gun Safe, Big Buck Sports Shop in Wexford, Fazi Firearms, Steeltown Firearms in Westview, and Braverman Arms in Wilkinsburg, and a few others. The one out of all these shops which really impressed me was Sportsman's Supply in Butler. Now THAT'S a gunshop! It's a little dusty and disorganized...just like I like a gunshop to be. The guns themselves are well-kept and well-stocked. His cases full of handguns add up to about 30 linear feet while his rifles and shotguns add up to about 50! Then the whole rest of the shop is just chock full of gear and supplies so high and thick you can barely walk! Now THAT's a gunshop, IMO. He's got old guns, new guns, cheap guns and expensive guns, plus gear for reloaders and hunters and everything in between. He even had a few boxes of 10mm handgun rounds in stock! The owner is very relaxed. He looks in your eyes and gives it to you straight. I forgot to ask how much he charges for transfers. So far I have found Verona Gun Safe to be among the most competetive at $25.Sportman's Supply also regularly sells stuff on Gunbroker.com that they don't sell in their shop, however I was told they will let you pick up what you win on Gunbroker at the shop thus nullifying the shipping fee.

So, that's it. I nominate Sportsman's Supply as my favorite gun shop in the region, lest there be one I haven't stumbled across yet. Once while fishing up in Moraine Park, I stopped at another old dusty sports shop just north of Butler. That guy also has tons of guns, and not just "sport" guns but also old military and collectible stuff. I was just in there to buy some fishworms so I didn't get a chance to look around, but someday I will. Who knows, maybe that place will nudge Sportsman's Supply for #1 in my book. Remains to be seen.

Anyone else have some good recommendations?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Your favorite gun shop around

Kerpers Bowmansville
    Hakes Wrightsville
    Backwoods Outfitters Columbia
    Trop Etown

(Allegheny County)

I moved to the Pittsburgh area from the Pacific NW about 10 years ago. Sadly, I say that the gun shops in the greater Pittsburgh area are "lacking" to say the least.

Of the ones that I visit that I can rate as a "decent" shop, I will say it's Ace's in WA. A&S Indoor range in Youngwood is also a "decent" range, if it was a little closer I would have a membership.

I still go up to WA state 1 or 2 times each year, I make the rounds and hit 5-6 shops/indoor ranges that I consider very good to great shops.

My wife and I are planning a road trip to the greater Philly area to visit indoor ranges (we had tried to do this a year or so ago but had to change our plans). It will be fun driving around to different ranges over a 3 day period.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    I forgot to ask how much he charges for transfers.
    Sportsman's Supply charges $37.50

(Delaware County)

Locks Gunshop on Frankford ave in Philly.

(Schuylkill County)

Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua or Shakey's Gun Shop in Orwigsburg. Both for the same reason. Good service, knowledge and decent prices.

(Allegheny County)

I like Big Buck Sport Shop in Wexford.

I've been there about six times and all have been positive. No real negatives to speak of, and they usually have the powder and primers that im looking for...

(Lehigh County)

Boyer's Hardware in Slatington.
    $25 Transfers

(Berks County)

Richland Shooters are great people.

Tropp has good stock.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(York County)

Aimsurplus in Ohio.