Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default Focus on the front sight

“Focus on the front sight!”

How many times have you heard this. But where do you focus on the front sight?

This is my OPINION and it works for me:

The drill is to first line up the target; the TOP of the front sight; and top of the rear sight followed by bringing your focus sharply on the front sight. Once you have established a sharp focus on the front sight, you continue a smooth press of the trigger straight to the rear without disrupting the sight alignment until the weapon fires.

On my carry revolvers or pistols if they have a white dot or any kind of color on the front sight I Black it out.

To me the key to a precision shot with your handgun is 100% of your focus on the top edge of the front sight. If you have a white dot on your front sight, take a look at where the white dot is placed on your front sight…normally it is place in the middle of the sight, and there is quite a bit of sight between the top of the white dot and the top edge of the front sight.

My eye will naturally focus on the white dot, instead of the top edge of the front sight. I will mistakenly line up the top of the white dot with the top of my rear sight. When I shot the shot will hit high because because of this sight alignment.

Just my thoughts and I have found I shot better with the white dots blacked out.

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; January 2nd, 2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: content

(Berks County)

Default Re: Focus on the front sight

That sounds like good advice... I'm going to try that with my .40 Seems to me if you use that top edge you'll at least have a more consistent grouping.