Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Target vs SD Ammo

I'm new to the forum and new to handguns. I'm looking into a 9mm handgun. What types of ammo, grain, brands, etc do you recommend for target practice and then what do you recommend for self defense. Obviously ammo is hard to find but I don't know where to start. Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Target vs SD Ammo

From what I've experienced, my glock will shoot anything I feed it so I use whatever cheap target rounds I can find for target practice.

As for SD, I haven't been able to find any high quality stuff so I use any jhp's that my gun can feed. Which is basically any jhp.

Remington 115gr is what I have now.

Eta, welcome to the forum.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyfran55 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and new to handguns. I'm looking into a 9mm handgun. What types of ammo, grain, brands, etc do you recommend for target practice and then what do you recommend for self defense. Obviously ammo is hard to find but I don't know where to start. Thanks
    For SD hollow point ammo from a reputable manufacturer that reliably cycles through your firearm. Everyone has their favorites. Do a search for threads that compare and contrast different rounds. Remington Golden Saber, Speer Lawman, Hornady Critical Defense come to mind.

Generally speaking in 9mm any even second tier hollow point ammo will be a better SD round than full metal jacket. But in a pinch any reliable ammo is better than nothing. So if all you have is FMJ use it.

For non competition target or training ammo use whatever is the cheapest that cycles through your firearm reliability. I use the same weight for training as I do for SD to maintain consistency.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Northampton County)

What's the difference in the weight and what do they mean?