Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: NEED HELP ON HOW TO APPLY FOR PISTOL PERMIT

Be prepared to furnish references on the application. This one step has given me pause.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Be prepared to furnish references on the application. This one step has given me pause.
    @psully. Just to be clear, ForeverPA is referring to the LTCF application. No references are required to purchase a pistol in PA.

@ForeverPA: Why? Not judging, just curious. I asked two neighbors if they'd mind me using them as references on the off chance that they'd be contacted. One owns several guns and said no problem, and used me as a reference on his application. The other said he'd never have a gun in his house, but had no problem with me having a LTCF because it wasn't going to change the fact that I have a small arsenal in mine.

If you're uncomfortable using your neighbors as references, stop in at the next PAFOA meet-n-greet in your area, break bread with a few of us and get a couple names to put on your application.

(Tioga County)

In most cases your counties sheriff will have a website and will have a section on LTCF process and have a downloadable form to fill out and bring in.

(Erie County)

welcome to PA...enjoy your freedoms....get that permit and learn the carry laws and transport...they are pretty simple....most of all....enjoy that new toy!!
    live to ride

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    In most cases your counties sheriff will have a website and will have a section on LTCF process and have a downloadable form to fill out and bring in.
    Here's the Montgomery County LTCF application APPLICATION FOR A PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS . Getting a LTCF and purchasing a pistol are mutually exclusive. Unlike NY, you do not have to specify the make and model of gun you intend to buy or carry. You don't even need to own a gun to get a LTCF, and conversely, you do not need to have a LTCF to buy a gun. In PA you can open carry without a LTCF in most public places (see .).The LTCF allows you to carry concealed, carry a loaded gun in your car and carry a loaded gun in Philadelphia whether open or concealed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    @psully. Just to be clear, ForeverPA is referring to the LTCF application. No references are required to purchase a pistol in PA.

@ForeverPA: Why? Not judging, just curious. I asked two neighbors if they'd mind me using them as references on the off chance that they'd be contacted. One owns several guns and said no problem, and used me as a reference on his application. The other said he'd never have a gun in his house, but had no problem with me having a LTCF because it wasn't going to change the fact that I have a small arsenal in mine.

If you're uncomfortable using your neighbors as references, stop in at the next PAFOA meet-n-greet in your area, break bread with a few of us and get a couple names to put on your application.
    It all depends on the individual. I am not that close(and I am not talking distance) to my neighbors to walk up to their doors and ask if they mind if I could put them as a reference on my gun carry permit application! They may not even recognize me. Such is life in the suburbia. The people you would ask such a favor from are your gun buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Not everywhere.

OP, do not be discouraged if your county makes you wait a while. Mine makes us wait up to 2 months unless we jump through extra hoops. Still, beats the PRNY. Welcome to PA.
    Which is total bullshit. I have some friends from Montgomery co. and I was amazed at what they told me they had to do to get their LTCF. In Mifflin, my home county, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

(Susquehanna County)

PSULLY

If you are in Bradford County. You need to go to the Sheriff's office in the Court House in Towanda.

You'll need you PA driver's license and the name address and phone # of 2 personal references.

Fill out the application and pay the fees. Some offices do a PICS check and hand you the license before you leave some make you wait. IIRC the license to carry firearm must be issued within 45 days.

As others have said you do not a "permit" to purchase as in NY and you may own and use handguns without the LTCF. Open carry is legal in Pa. But you MAY NOT carry your handgun in a vehicle. But you may transport it to and from range or repair shop. Must be unloaded and secured, separated from the ammo.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bradford County)

guess who just exercised her 2nd amendment right for the first time ever??? This gal!!

It's so good to be an ex-N.Y. er!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by psully View Post
    guess who just exercised her 2nd amendment right for the first time ever??? This gal!!

It's so good to be an ex-N.Y. er!
    It is great here in PA. I moved here from Marylandistan 2 years back. What a difference. I can only imagine how the taste of freedom must be for someone from NY.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast