Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Long Guns and Vehicles???

I was just reading through the Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyer posted here. I have a question about what I read in it. I have a LTCF, is it still illegal to carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle? If this is true it is the first I've heard about it.

Default Re: Long Guns and Vehicles???

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    I was just reading through the Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyer posted here. I have a question about what I read in it. I have a LTCF, is it still illegal to carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle? If this is true it is the first I've heard about it.
    That is correct, as far as PA law goes a LTCF has no bearing on long guns.

(Northampton County)

I believe this is what you are looking for

§6106.1. Carrying Loaded Weapons Other Than Firearms.

(a) General rule.—Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)( 1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provi*sions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

(b) Penalty.—A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

(Added by L. 1989, Act 68(1); chgd. by L. 1995, Spec. Sess. 1, Act 17(2,). eff 10/11/95.)

“Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

(Indiana County)

Also, don't forget 34 Pa. C.S. 2503 (under Pennsylvanhia Game Laws):

Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:
    • (1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.
      (2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.
      (3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).
      (4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.
      (5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased. (6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).

The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) of this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.
    (c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(Luzerne County)

As mentioned... long guns MUST be unloaded.
    The PGR flyer clearly reflects this

(Venango County)

Summary offense, what would the penalties be for this?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    Summary offense, what would the penalties be for this?
    It's usually a fine, minimal jail time is possible (90 days), but it's basically a low-rent charge (under a misdemeanor) and probably wouldn't amount to jail time for the first conviction (depending on prior history and such).

§ 1105. Sentence of imprisonment for summary offenses.

A person who has been convicted of a summary offense may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term which shall be fixed by the court at not more than 90 days.
    Don't forget title 204 for sentencing guidelines based on the points system (prior record, class and severity of the offense)...
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesP1/204Code303.html

(Allegheny County)

Do you think the law applies if your on private property, say on a farm or a gun club your a member of?
    Toujours pręt

(Adams County)

You can carry a loaded SBS or SBR in your vehicle.

You can also carry an unloaded AK or AR with a loaded magazine, as long as the magazine is in a different compartment than the rifle.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Do you think the law applies if your on private property, say on a farm or a gun club your a member of?
    i think so...though some law enforcement officer would have to have some reason to be there and see you do it in the first place.

and then, frankly, he would have to be a real a-hole to cite you for it if you were not actually doing anything dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast