Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (McKean County)

Default Entry to courthouse delayed for an hour and a half!

I am looking for someone that knows the ins and outs of county governments in PA. In short I have some questions that I would like to ask someone with much more experience and knowledge in regards to an incident I had recently and to find out where I need to go and who I need to talk to about it. I don't think I am ready to post this publicly anyone up for a game of 101 questions?
    Last edited by rj31; April 11th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Help with county government.

Is this somehow gun related?
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Is this somehow gun related?
    Yes sir it is. It has to do with sheriff and courthouse and some county commissioners. I was denied entry into courthouse and was denied the locker space to lock up gun. I can't get any information from anyone as to where to file a complaint and I am being told that it is a private security agency working the check point at courthouse.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rj31 View Post
    Yes sir it is. It has to do with sheriff and courthouse and some county commissioners. I was denied entry into courthouse and was denied the locker space to lock up gun. I can't get any information from anyone as to where to file a complaint and I am being told that it is a private security agency working the check point at courthouse.
    Did you ask the sheriff?

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    Did you ask the sheriff?
    sheriff is the one that told me it is a private security firm and that he has no authority as a judge appointed this security agency. He told me that he only holds authority over the courtrooms.

That's BS. By law, if you are carrying under your LTCF they MUST make lockers available to lock your handgun in. I'm sure someone will be around with the actual law shortly. Unfortunately its very hard for me to post the law from this phone. If you can pull the law and show it to the sheriff, that should help to persuade him to enforce the law. Doesn't matter who hired them, they have to follow the law.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    That's BS. By law, if you are carrying under your LTCF they MUST make lockers available to lock your handgun in. I'm sure someone will be around with the actual law shortly. Unfortunately its very hard for me to post the law from this phone. If you can pull the law and show it to the sheriff, that should help to persuade him to enforce the law. Doesn't matter who hired them, they have to follow the law.
    I did pull the law up on my phone right there and made them read it. I know the laws now I need to know what I need to do in order to file a complaint and find out just who hired private security for something I thought was the sheriffs job. I also want to know where I can take it if the local channels fail me and any options I may have. I wasn't arrested and I wasn't detained I also wasn't questioned I was just told to leave and not come back until I lost the gun. I did in the end and after 1.5 hours make it into the building using the lockers but it shouldn't have taken this long. I wasn't going to go public with this until I knew more but here is the whole story.

At 9:30 A.M. I attempted to enter the courthouse I walked up to the security desk and declared I had a firearm to check. The guy behind the desk got testy and told I couldn't have it in here and proceeded to point out the signage that states no weapons. I answered with the law of providing storage for a person carrying. It didn't do any good and was getting worse so I said forget it and took the short drive to the sheriff's office.

At 10:00 I arrive at sheriffs office and ask for a complaint form for the security desk at the courthouse. The deputy that was there was preparing to get it for me when the sheriff asks what the problem was and I inform him as to my problem. He then tells me that he isn't responsible for the security at the courthouse and that it is a judge appointed security firm and gives me a number and extension for the head of security.

At 10:15 I call the number and enter the extension and get a agitated hello I ask for the name given to me by the sheriff and he states he is the person I am looking for. I explain that I want to file a complaint and would like to file that complaint in writing. He tells me that they don't have a form for that so I tell him I would like to talk in person and he says he will meet me in the rotunda.

At 10:30 I enter the courthouse and walk in the front door walk up to the desk and ask for the head of security. A guy hanging in the back walks up and asks if I was the one who called. I said yes, to which he asks what the problem was. I explained the problem and he starts getting verbal with me and telling me I can't have that in there and I need to leave. I calmly asked him to read the law which is pulled up on my phone he tells me he knows the law and he won't let a loaded firearm into the building. I then ask him how I can get it locked up so I can enter. His reply was find a safe place to unload it. So i walked back outside took a right and unloaded it over the grass right in front of the building. They then locked up the firearm for me and I was allowed entrance.

They don't provide a sand bucked to unload over this is why I walked out front and did it over the grass. I also had a feeling they would have arrested me had I attempted to unload it anywhere inside. Not to mention there was no safe place to do so.
    Last edited by rj31; April 11th, 2013 at 07:33 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by rj31 View Post
    I did pull the law up on my phone right there and made them read it. I know the laws now I need to know what I need to do in order to file a complaint and find out just who hired private security for something I thought was the sheriffs job. I also want to know where I can take it if the local channels fail me and any options I may have. I wasn't arrested and I wasn't detained I also wasn't questioned I was just told to leave and not come back until I lost the gun. I did in the end and after 1.5 hours make it into the building using the lockers but it shouldn't have taken this long. I wasn't going to go public with this until I knew more but here is the whole story.

At 9:30 A.M. I attempted to enter the courthouse I walked up to the security desk and declared I had a firearm to check. The guy behind the desk got testy and told I couldn't have it in here and proceeded to point out the signage that states no weapons. I answered with the law of providing storage for a person carrying. It didn't do any good and was getting worse so I said forget it and took the short drive to the sheriff's office.

At 10:00 I arrive at sheriffs office and ask for a complaint form for the security desk at the courthouse. The deputy that was there was preparing to get it for me when the sheriff asks what the problem was and I inform him as to my problem. He then tells me that he isn't responsible for the security at the courthouse and that it is a judge appointed security firm and gives me a number and extension for the head of security.

At 10:15 I call the number and enter the extension and get a agitated hello I ask for the name given to me by the sheriff and he states he is the person I am looking for. I explain that I want to file a complaint and would like to file that complaint in writing. He tells me that they don't have a form for that so I tell him I would like to talk in person and he says he will meet me in the rotunda.

At 10:30 I enter the courthouse and walk in the front door walk up to the desk and ask for the head of security. A guy hanging in the back walks up and asks if I was the one who called. I said yes, to which he asks what the problem was. I explained the problem and he starts getting verbal with me and telling me I can't have that in there and I need to leave. I calmly asked him to read the law which is pulled up on my phone he tells me he knows the law and he won't let a loaded firearm into the building. I then ask him how I can get it locked up so I can enter. His reply was find a safe place to unload it. So i walked back outside took a right and unloaded it over the grass right in front of the building. They then locked up the firearm for me and I was allowed entrance.

They don't provide a sand bucked to unload over this is why I walked out front and did it over the grass. I also had a feeling they would have arrested me had I attempted to unload it anywhere inside. Not to mention there was no safe place to do so.
    I sincerely hope you follow through on this and do not 'let it go' as most people do. This is absolutely ridiculous and they need to follow the statutes.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Beaver County)

No comment, just wanna get the updates to this one.

Especially if/when Gunlawyer replies....

(McKean County)

I will be following up with this with or without the guidance I am seeking. I will be making some inquiries tomorrow and if needed writing some FOIA letters just to make it formal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast