Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default "Bodies" exhibit

my parents were in town this weekend (why i did not make the group shoot) and we all went to see the "Bodies" exhibit at the carnegie science center.

it was really cool. it's actually hard to take it all in in one visit...if you really wanted an education, being there by yourself with an anatomy text book and spending a week would be nice...but it's still really neat to see. gives you a whole new appreciation for your body.

(and, if anyone is looking for motivation to stop smoking...you'll get it when you see the difference in the lungs of smokers vs. non-smokers. i had seen pictures, but they don't do it justice.

seeing a healthy artery compared to a severly hardened artery with plaque build up is enough to motivate you to eat better, too. the actual visual difference is astounding.)

at any rate, the exhibit is not going to be around much longer, so, if you haven't seen it and want to, get on it. i highly recommend it. it was a bit crowded, so i would recommend a weekday if you can swing it.

(and there are no no guns signs or metal detectors or pat downs or anything. i even went out of my way to try to find a no guns policy on their website or literature and could not. so, i cc'd there and had no problems.)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: "Bodies" exhibit

Sounds very cool. I'm a science nerd and would love that.

Even at 24, I still can't get enough science centers!
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by slicknick131 View Post
    Even at 24, I still can't get enough science centers!
    heck, i'm 37 and still can't get enough of them.

if you are ever in toronto, check out their science center...it is amazing.

(Allegheny County)

I haven't made it to Toronto yet, though I definitely want to go there someday, mainly for the hockey hall of fame.

I've been to science centers in Pittsburgh, Toledo, and Chattanooga and they were all great. Some of my best memories from grade school were going to the Carnegie Science Center and watching the IMAX movies and buying those dehydrated astronaut foods. I liked the strawberries.

The one in Chattanooga had a good deal of interactive things, which ended in my cousin's husband and me in a water battle in the middle of the place. Good times.
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Philadelphia County)

I saw it in Philly last year.

Is this the one with the Horse at the end??

I'd say, hands down, the best exhibit I've ever seen.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

I went and saw this a moth or so ago and really enjoyed it... I'm an EMT-B and I went with a friend of mine who is a Nursing Student, and it was VERY informative to actually get a *look* at the systems that we'd only ever seen in illustrations.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I saw it in Philly last year.

Is this the one with the Horse at the end??

I'd say, hands down, the best exhibit I've ever seen.
    the one at carnegie science center does not have a horse at the end...unless i missed it.

but i don't think the exhibit is exactly the same from one location to the next.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I went and saw this a moth or so ago and really enjoyed it... I'm an EMT-B and I went with a friend of mine who is a Nursing Student, and it was VERY informative to actually get a *look* at the systems that we'd only ever seen in illustrations.
    exactly my thoughts. i'm not an EMT, but i've studied a lot of physiology and emergency medicine texts. seeing everything "for real" instead of just in illustrations makes it so much more tangible and easier to really comprehend.

(Philadelphia County)

The horse is cool. The exploded it outwards so it is larger than life. Very cool piece.

My favourite was the stages of birth. You can see a tiny fetus which is smaller than your thumbnail with developed fingers and legs and whatnot. Did I mention it was smaller than your thumbnail. It has fetuses depicting from week 1 till birth.

(Allegheny County)

My wife went to see it with our neighbor on Sunday while I went to the group shoot.
    I told her she had to find someone else to take her. I had no interest in it.
    The whole "real dead people" wasn't an issue... it's the "let's take Mr. Lee and peel his skin off and have him playing baseball" thing that's just completely fucked up.

She liked it, but she was a bit let down after all the hype.
    She also mentioned a poor layout that didn't allow viewers to "flow" smoothly through the exhibit. I'll take her word for it.

You're all a bunch of sick freaks!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast