Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Toomey sold us out

- Fixes interstate travel laws for sportsmen who transport their firearms across state lines in a responsible manner. The term "transport" includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, buying fuel, vehicle maintenance, and medical treatment.
    Define "sportsmen". I will bet that the term does not include those who legally own and carry firearms for self-defense, even though they may be complying with FOPA while traveling through a non-reciprocal state. It will only include those who are carrying a hunting arm, and who can prove that they are legally going hunting in a place that allows it. For example, you may need to show proof that you have all the paperwork to hunt in South Dakota legally, and have reservations at a hotel or outfitter in South Dakota, if you are stopped by law enforcement in Illinois.

- Permits interstate handgun sales from dealers.
    Does this mean that I can buy a handgun in a state I am not a resident of? If so, not a really big deal. I can buy any handgun anywhere right now. I can have any dealer ship to an FFL in my state of residence already.

- Family transfers and some private sales (friends, neighbors, other individuals) are exempt from background checks
    From GOA e-mail:
    Toomey and Manchin will claim that their bill only covers “gun show sales” and Internet sales. But if you’ve ever talked about your gun and /or let it be known you’d like to sell or buy a gun on the Internet, this language covers you. If you advertise your gun in the church bulletin and the bulletin is put on the Internet, you’re covered.

The only exemption is for sales that are sold exclusively by word of mouth. The increased number of background checks would likely exacerbate the system breakdowns (inherent to NICS) which have shut down gun shows over and over again. It would mean that Americans who were illegally denied firearms because their names were similar to other people's would effectively be barred from owning a gun. (We would never tolerate such delays for voting rights or other freedoms that we are guaranteed.)
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer.

This is new isn't it? Isn't this good for us?

http://www.redstate.com/2013/04/10/t...right-to-guns/

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Lycoming County)

Thank you, Brick, for a good reminder about truth verse fiction until all is said and done.

The following is the email I sent to Toomey:

Senator Toomey:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...as-vote-looms/

I have heard of your "common sense" approach to the Second Amendment rights of those within your jurisdiction and I feel you must be made aware of how the check system works.

1) BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE ALREADY DONE AT GUN SHOWS!! There is one and only one way a firearm is sold without a background check at a gun show and that is when a person sells his own firearm to a gun dealer at one of the tables. This is because the dealer already has his clearance through his FFL so a check is not necessary. That is the only time a firearm transaction takes place without a check being run on the buyer.

2) THERE ARE BACKGROUND CHECKS DONE ON ALL INTERNET SALES. The seller of the firearm always sends the gun to a dealer in your area that has what - that is right - his FFL. Then the firearm transaction is completed with any necessary checks being done.

So the two areas of your compromise are things that are already done so why in the world are you drawing up a bill for it?

Because all of us that believe in the US Constitution and the Second Amendment are not going to vote for you at re-election time if you continue with this bill.

If you do not vote with those that believe the US Constitution is outhouse material, then we will re-consider our actions.

But right now, all eyes in Pennsylvania are on you.

He must be made to understand how the system that he apparently feels he needs to fix already works.

Unfortunately this is the case with so many.

Brick - I hope you are right and there still is a chance our elected to be our voice will not let us down.

But I hope and pray that all pertinent information reaches Toomey's ears (and better yet - his mind!)

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Lehigh County)

Angry Re: Toomey sold us out

Trojan horse. This allows the issue to get to the Senate in the first place. If you think there will be an up or down vote on this the way it is written you are dreaming. There will be more "reasonable" amendments tacked on to this that will do nothing but further erode the 2nd Amendment.

The Bill of Rights are not subject to legislative compromise. They are rights pure and simple. We will need to depend on Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Mike Lee who actually understand this concept.

The Moderates he is trying to appease wouldn't vote for him anyway in 2016.

(Allegheny County)

Is there a link to the actual text of the bill?

The press release mentions some good things and some exceptions to the background check requirement, so perhaps we should withhold judgement until seeing the full thing.

(Delaware County)

Would the law still aloud you to shoot at a range in another State

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2quicktc View Post
    Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer.

This is new isn't it? Isn't this good for us?
    States already have the option to allow this (obviously PA does not). Not sure what this bill does to change things; I can't imagine it would force states to allow it.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    Thank you, Brick, for a good reminder about truth verse fiction until all is said and done.

The following is the email I sent to Toomey:

Senator Toomey:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...as-vote-looms/

I have heard of your "common sense" approach to the Second Amendment rights of those within your jurisdiction and I feel you must be made aware of how the check system works.

1) BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE ALREADY DONE AT GUN SHOWS!! There is one and only one way a firearm is sold without a background check at a gun show and that is when a person sells his own firearm to a gun dealer at one of the tables. This is because the dealer already has his clearance through his FFL so a check is not necessary. That is the only time a firearm transaction takes place without a check being run on the buyer.

2) THERE ARE BACKGROUND CHECKS DONE ON ALL INTERNET SALES. The seller of the firearm always sends the gun to a dealer in your area that has what - that is right - his FFL. Then the firearm transaction is completed with any necessary checks being done.

So the two areas of your compromise are things that are already done so why in the world are you drawing up a bill for it?

Because all of us that believe in the US Constitution and the Second Amendment are not going to vote for you at re-election time if you continue with this bill.

If you do not vote with those that believe the US Constitution is outhouse material, then we will re-consider our actions.

But right now, all eyes in Pennsylvania are on you.

He must be made to understand how the system that he apparently feels he needs to fix already works.

Unfortunately this is the case with so many.

Brick - I hope you are right and there still is a chance our elected to be our voice will not let us down.

But I hope and pray that all pertinent information reaches Toomey's ears (and better yet - his mind!)

God bless!!

PPP
    Not to split hairs, and I'm not supporting Toomeys position, but your two points are incorrect.

If you wan my explanation, PM me, I'm not adding any ammo to the anti's arguments by posting on an open forum.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Schumer put an amendment in the bill to HIPPA that will mean everyone who has seen or is seeing a therapist, taking anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, or other drugs to be determined, can lose their guns (confiscation) with the bill as written.
    Do you guys realize how many freaky deaky women this is going to affect?

Woman love this crap they all sit around and talk about their meds and therapists they're seeing. I work with a lot of women and there is going to be more than a few pissed off female voters if this passes.

I'd say at least 30% of the women I know have been to a therapist, on anti depressants and or anti-anxiety medication. So I guess if you married to or living with one of these individuals you're losing your guns because she lives in your house.

With all the single fruit cakes out there, I guess any time a gun owner thinks about dating a single woman he'll have to run a NICS going out with her.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast