Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default *MY* Ammo Situation

After 17 years in the Army I am not new to shooting, though I am new to gun ownership. My wife and I just purchased our first guns in January - S&W M&P Shield 9 for her and Taurus PT1911 for me. Range trips so far have been about (re)familiarizing with the guns, and working on basic marksmanship fundamentals - I can put 18+ out of 20 in a paper plate at 25 yards , and one would generally do well not to piss off the missus , so that's been achieved. My usual trip has been 100-150 rounds, though I will probably cut back for a while and just shoot to remain proficient. She usually limits herself to 50 rounds or less, but will continue like that about once a week for a while yet til she is confident in her shooting. We have brought each of the kids (all 21 and over) to the range a few times, and the youngest is always asking, “We going shooting this week?” Now that I have my LTCF, and she has applied for hers, I am going to start practicing my draw and presentation at home with snap caps, and suggest she do the same after selecting a holster.

I bought 100-150 rounds of Remington Golden Saber for each of us for carry ammo, enough to verify that the guns like it and that it behaves like our practice ammo, with a decent amount left for carry and backup. We have been buying our ammo (and shooting) at Targetmaster in Chadds Ford. Remington UMC 230g FMJ for my 1911 is currently $210/500rd case, and I did manage to snag a 500rd bulk pack for $200 a few weeks ago. Remington UMC 115g FMJ in 9mm has been $120-130/500rd case, and I did get a 1000rd bulk pack for a little less than twice what I pay for cases. They usually have some other calibers as well, but I do not generally take note of the prices. Current policy is one box/case per caliber per party, and any time we've wanted to buy it was available - until last week. They had .45 in stock, but 9mm was so scarce they were limiting to one 50rd box instead of one 500rd.

I didn't come into this with any stockpile of ammo - as in zero bullets in the homestead - and did not know when I started what prices were previously. I have bought what I need to practice with, and a little extra. Wife likes to replace what we shoot as we go along but, as we found out last week, that may not always be possible. I have a little over 1000 rounds of each right now, so we could go at least a couple months without buying more - shooting for proficiency, not shooting for fun – but there’s no telling what prices and supplies will look like by then. We bought our guns for self/home defense and, while we enjoy trips to the range together, we need to realize that – with the ammo situation the way it is – we should probably limit our shooting to necessary practice and not just go killing paper for fun.

The kids may not like it, but I’d wager our bank account probably will…

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: *MY* Ammo Situation

I had 2000 rounds of 9mm ammo that I picked up for between 20-25 cents a round shipped to my house. I've officially used it all up and only have my HPs now. I have around 5000 rounds of 22LR in stock and have been using that at the range until things cool down. I refuse to pay over 30 cents a round for 9mm FMJ ammo.

My range seems to think May is when they will have ammo in stock and keep it in stock.

I feel your pain Sgt.K, I'm a new shooter as well (m&p 9 fs) so I don't have a huge stockpile of ammo. I have 3 boxes of HPs for carry and about 700rds of ranhe ammo. I watch the walmart app pretty frequent but between school and work and family I don't have the time to stalk pallets at the stores. So I get it when I can.

Even though I'm new I refuse to pay 25-60$ for 50rds of range. I'll use what I have and wait till the ammo shortage dies.

Let me know when target masters has those 500rd cases again for $120 that's not bad.

If you're a national manufacturer, importer, dealer, or retailer, wouldn't you be re-routing your product to CT and CO? The market in PA and others is fairly constant, but CT and CO, it's your last chance, and a huge chance at that. Ammo will still be available and legal there, but there is a run on it there that is unprecedented. In retail, you strike while the iron's hot, or the iron will strike you. I'm guessing whatever product anyone can scrape together is headed to CT and CO right now.

We just have to be realistic with our stockpiles and ability to replenish. I've cut my range trips down. Yesterday I went with my usual load out of 200rd of each caliber I intended to shoot, plus 100 of 308 for my friend and his rifle. I ended up restocking more than half of it last night when I got home. We both are focused on not running out. Twice a month, but half as much, each time is better than once a month or not at all. I used to bring enough for everyone, now I make them bring their own or pay me. I have the time and resources to go hunting ammo, my job puts me in or near retail stores all day long. My friends don't have that luxury. I'm not robbing them on price, I'm charging them what it costs me in cash to replenish. That's it.

Find a friend at your range that does have the time to go hunting ammo, and see what arrangement you can make. I bet you can find some good quantity. I'm looking for a *friend* who is interested in trading some ammo for my brass. Thousands of them. Will find eventually.

Keep your powder dry, this isn't over, not by a long shot.

(Centre County)

Thumbs down Re: *MY* Ammo Situation

Something about advertising how much ammo you have seems...well..
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Allegheny County)

Your "situation" is pretty much the same as everyone else except it sounds like you have more ammo on hand than a lot of people do.

Glad to have you in the club. Best of luck with everything.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Your "situation" is pretty much the same as everyone else except it sounds like you have more ammo on hand than a lot of people do.
    Really need to give the credit card a break, though - it's wheezin'

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Glad to have you in the club. Best of luck with everything.
    10q

(Pike County)

I feel your pain and offer my condolences. I remember paying about $10 for a 50 round box of 9mm FMJ only 5 months ago, no way in hell am I going to pay $25-$30 for the same thing now. Forget 22LR, I consider myself lucky to have 1100 to 1200 rounds on hand which I will shoot rarely until it comes back in stock for $20/550 rounds. I will probably only visit the range once every 3 months until the ammo situation stabilizes. Maybe I will shoot the 9mm and 7.62x54R between those times if I can get my hands on 2 to 3 boxes of 9mm at decent price.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Delaware County)

I shoot .40 and .45, but I have been lucky. The last 3 times I went into Wal Mart, they had 100 round boxes of WWB. So I bought a few at a time. There was Zero 9mm and I havent seen any in weeks. I will continue to stock Up at Wally world as long as I can.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I feel your pain and offer my condolences. I remember paying about $10 for a 50 round box of 9mm FMJ only 5 months ago, no way in hell am I going to pay $25-$30 for the same thing now. Forget 22LR, I consider myself lucky to have 1100 to 1200 rounds on hand which I will shoot rarely until it comes back in stock for $20/550 rounds. I will probably only visit the range once every 3 months until the ammo situation stabilizes. Maybe I will shoot the 9mm and 7.62x54R between those times if I can get my hands on 2 to 3 boxes of 9mm at decent price.
    From Grumpy Bear's post in the Gen'l Forum:

Aim Surplus has 7.62x54R surplus in stock.

$89.95 a case of 440 rounds.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R

Seems like a really good price....
    - bamboomaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast