Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default AK and AR build questions.

I ordered an M16A1 kit from Sportsman's Guide as well as an 80% AK receiver, and I'm starting to question weather I should have even bothered.

First roadblock, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can pick up a 20" AR barrel. DPMS seems to be the only ones I talked to that are accepting orders, and they have a 12 month backlog.

Second, for the AK 80%, is the AKM/AKMS the right receiver for building a Polish under fold AK47? I can't seem to find much information on compatibility (not that I can find the parts kits for sale at any reasonable price.) if not, I'll use it for a mutt build of some sort.

Default Re: AK and AR build questions.

I know nothing of building or using AKs. As far as I can tell, it has been the weapon of choice of most of our enemies for the last 40 or 50 years. I just couldn't bring myself to ever by one...but that's just me.

To answer your question about ARs however, the best resource I found is ar15.com. Look in the Build it Yourself forum under the In Stock threads. There are barrels that pop up, you just have to be quick. Alternatively, try the gun shows. In helping my brother build his AR recently, we managed to get a barrel along with a BCG and most of the small parts very reasonably at the Oaks gun show.

Good luck! Then you will need even more luck to find .223 reasonably priced.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    To answer your question about ARs however, the best resource I found is ar15.com. Look in the Build it Yourself forum under the In Stock threads. There are barrels that pop up, you just have to be quick. Alternatively, try the gun shows. In helping my brother build his AR recently, we managed to get a barrel along with a BCG and most of the small parts very reasonably at the Oaks gun show.

Good luck! Then you will need even more luck to find .223 reasonably priced.
    Thanks, I'll check out their forums.

Oddly enough, ammo isn't a problem for me at the moment, I have 3 .50 cal ammo cans full of Federal, and one full of wolf/tula.

Well, if you need help shooting any of that, feel free to let me know. I wouldn't want you to get a sore shoulder or anything!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Automan21k View Post

Second, for the AK 80%, is the AKM/AKMS the right receiver for building a Polish under fold AK47? I can't seem to find much information on compatibility (not that I can find the parts kits for sale at any reasonable price.) if not, I'll use it for a mutt build of some sort.
    Be careful and do research on the pre-bent 80% shells. They are a different type of steel than the 4130 flats you will find. They don't take spot hardening of the FCG holes. You would be looking at doing the entire receiver after drilling. Look into one of the akbuilder flats - he has all the holes already located for whatever you are building - you just need to bend it and weld the lower rails.

But to answer your question, yes you can use it for a polish UF - the right holes need to be drilled into it using a template.

(Crawford County)

First roadblock, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can pick up a 20" AR barrel. DPMS seems to be the only ones I talked to that are accepting orders, and they have a 12 month backlog.
    I'd suggest keeping an eye on http://www.arpartsfinder.com for any parts you need.

Yes, the AKM receiver is technically the correct receiver for a Polish under folder (it is possible, I suppose, that there were a few milled underfolders build but I have never ever seen or heard of one and I'm virtually certain that any parts kit you find will by default be for a stamped receiver or will be explicit that it is designed for milled). The reason I say technically is because it will be much harder to drill for an underfolder rear trunnion than it would be to drill for a standard rear trunnion. It is also generally suggested that you weld an additional metal base plate to the space between the grip and the receiver to provide extra strength to compensate for the additional material you will be removing from the rear portion of the receiver for the larger holes the underfolder and it's trunnion require.

(Dauphin County)

well, I broke down and ordered a Polish UF parts kit. When that is delivered I will take stock of any missing pieces/order rivets and misc. parts. Then I guess I'll start looking for a build party.

Should I have the receiver drilled and heat treated prior to going to a party or is that done there too?

Sorry for all the questions, it's my first AK build

(Crawford County)

well, I broke down and ordered a Polish UF parts kit. When that is delivered I will take stock of any missing pieces/order rivets and misc. parts. Then I guess I'll start looking for a build party.

Should I have the receiver drilled and heat treated prior to going to a party or is that done there too?

Sorry for all the questions, it's my first AK build
    Are the rails already spot welded? Do you own a drill press?

(Crawford County)

Before you can heat treat your receiver, the rails will need to be spot welded on and the holes will need to be drilled. If you don't have a spot welder, drill press or torch you will be hard pressed to do these things yourself (if you're brave you can try to hand drill, I've seen it done but it takes a steady hand) but if you don't do these things ahead of time, you likely won't get anything else done at the build party. Here is a good tutorial on heat treating: http://www.akparts.com/akinfo10.html

(Dauphin County)

The rails are not on it, but I do have access to a spot welder and drill press, so I can get the drilling and rails done without too much trouble (aside form finding the time to do it.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast