Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks County Community College

To start, does anyone on here attend this college?

I currently go here, and now being in possession of my LTCF, I was curious if carrying a firearm in campus was allowed. Of course, I was more than certain there was a rule somewhere against it. There are no signs or anything on campus stating that firearms are prohibited. I called the Safety & Security office this morning and asked what their rules are regarding firearms. The conversation went something like this (note, I'm paraphrasing):

Woman: Hello, Safety and Security, what can I do for you?
    Me: Hi, I was wondering what the rules are regarding firearms.
    Woman: Oh, why were you wondering? Does it have to do with someone you saw carrying a gun?
    Me: No, I was just wondering since I didn't see any signs or anything stating anything, and was unclear on the campus's standing.
    Woman: Oh. Well guns are not allowed on campus.
    Me: Is there a policy stating this anywhere?
    Woman: Umm, I don't know. It might be listed under policies but I'm not sure.
    Me: Okay, I'll check for it. Thank you.
    Woman: You're welcome, have a nice day.

After I got home, I checked on the school's website to see if I can find it. After looking through every link on the 'Policies' page, this is the only statement I can find regarding firearms:

"I. Infractions/ Violations

The following student actions are Code of Conduct Violations and may result in sanctions:

...Unauthorized use, possession, or sale of firearms or other dangerous weapons on campus." (Source: http://www.bucks.edu/about/policy/conduct/)

The link also contains the 'sanctions', or repercussions of violating any of the listed policies.

In the policy, it only says 'Unauthorized', but this word is not defined. Would carrying while in possession of a valid LTCF be authorized? Of course in their eyes, not it would not be authorized, but they don't make that clear.

So, after researching and reading threads on here about carrying on campus, I saw something about SCCC, and was wondering if this existed at BCCC. I didn't find anything about it, and tomorrow after class I will use my free time to get info about that or other groups/clubs about carrying/2nd Amendment. I am also strongly considering writing a professional proposal for allowing students, teachers, and faculty with valid PA LTCF to carry on campus; most likely CC so we don't scare the liberal hippies that think guns obliterate all human life within 1000ft.

Again, does anyone on here go to Bucks County Community College, and if so like to get involved in a Pro-Carry/2nd Amendment group/club on campus? Even if you are not at that school, anyone who would like to help propose the right to carry on campuses that I can use to hopefully push for this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you all in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Bucks County Community College

Campus carry is not against the law in PA. You might be breaking school policy, but that would be a different issue. The worst they could do is kick you out if they found you to be carrying, but again, with an LTCF is is perfectly legal.

You have to decide what is more important, your life or your degree, choose either at your own risk

(Franklin County)

In addition, the student conduct policy only applies to students so If I (a non student, non employee) were to visit the campus and they have no signs posted, I'm not breaking any laws or any rules until they tell me to leave and I refuse. They probably have an employee policy that is very similar and would only apply to me if I were an employee.

(Lehigh County)

It does say possession in the policy. It appears it is their policy that you can't possess on campus.
    Last edited by Cfurlo; April 9th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 10PointHunter View Post
    Campus carry is not against the law in PA. You might be breaking school policy, but that would be a different issue. The worst they could do is kick you out if they found you to be carrying, but again, with an LTCF is is perfectly legal.

You have to decide what is more important, your life or your degree, choose either at your own risk
    I'm well aware that campus carry is not illegal. They could do worse than just kick you out; the list of 'sanctions' can include expulsion, which can be permanent separation from the school. If by 'kick you out' you mean kicked out of the school, as in you can no longer attend as a student, than excuse my misinterpretation

Quote Originally Posted by Cfurlo View Post
    It does say possession in the policy. It appears it is their policy that you can't possess on campus.
    Yes, it does include possession, but it says unauthorized possession, and the term is not defined anywhere in the policy info. In this context, unauthorized could mean without a LTCF, without special permission from the college, etc. However, it is more than likely they mean "if you're not an on duty LEO".

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1911 View Post
    I'm well aware that campus carry is not illegal. They could do worse than just kick you out; the list of 'sanctions' can include expulsion, which can be permanent separation from the school. If by 'kick you out' you mean kicked out of the school, as in you can no longer attend as a student, than excuse my misinterpretation

Yes, it does include possession, but it says unauthorized possession, and the term is not defined anywhere in the policy info. In this context, unauthorized could mean without a LTCF, without special permission from the college, etc. However, it is more than likely they mean "if you're not an on duty LEO".
    I interpret "unauthorized" as meaning not authorized by the school.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    And that's how I interpreted it as well, thus why I haven't carried around campus. I'm going to try to get something started about pushing for students being allowed to carry. People don't live at the school, and partying and such behavior pretty much never happens. It's a community college. People just come and go and do their business. I don't think CC'ing would interrupt daily campus life. OC, however, would probably do that, at least until people got used to it.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    That's how I read it as well.

(Bucks County)

You could even go as far as to say that unauthorized by the school means that you don't hold a valid LTCF. It's never clearly stated. But that would be getting into technicalities, and then you just look like an asshole who's trying to find loopholes, since most people would agree it's fairly obvious this policy means students are not allowed to have guns on campus.

(Bucks County)

So today after class I went to the Student Life Center to see if there was an SCCC group or similar, or anything that had to do with 2nd Amendment Rights, or any rights for that matter. None existed. So I took the initiative and am in the process of creating a '2nd Amendment Group' at BCCC. After about an hour, I got 5 people to sign saying they would be interested in the club and join upon it's creation. 3 of these 5 were people I found in the Veteran's Club. I went in there and knew there would be others with the same mentality. I'll definitely be making more visits there to get more people to join.

I'm going to make a separate thread about the club specifically, since this thread was focused on carrying on campus. However, it is one of the ultimate goals of my club to get the policy changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast