Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Conceal Carrying a full size 1911 OWB with Serpa

Hello everyone,

I just acquired my PA LTCF, and I am planning on carrying my full size 1911. I currently have a Serpa holster for it, that is OWB.

I've been trying to figure out a way to conceal it, and it's proving difficult, unless I wear a bulky coat/jacket. However, as you all know, Spring is finally here (and hopefully to stay). So, wearing said clothing will be very uncomfortable in this weather.

Any 1911 CC veterans out there have any good methods they would like to share?

I'm 5'7", about 155lbs, and am a 32 waist. I tend to wear more slim fit clothing, since I don't have a horrible figure

Also, I am not opposed to OC. The only problem is that I feel people will get uneasy about it, and I would like to avoid someone calling the police and crying about a "man with a gun in Wawa". If there wasn't a great chance of that happening, I would OC every day.

Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Conceal Carrying a full size 1911 OWB with Serpa

I'm interested as well since I recently purchased my first 1911. (full size)

I can tell you that the SERPA is a pretty crappy choice if you're objective is concealment. They tend to stick out a bit. I have one for my G19.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

I think you'd have to hide it under a coat. I don't think a shirt would cover that.

I don't have a 1911, I have a 92FS. Not exactly the same size, but not small either. I find that an IWB holster at about 4:00 or 5:00 settles pretty flat against your back and it easily covered by a shirt.

(York County)

There's a "chance" of a meteor falling from the heavens and squashing you like a bug but you still go outdoors without an umbrella, or a hard hat.

There's a chance a drugged-up motorist could come down the street at 130 mph, but you still cross the street.

Just saying.

You and I live in different parts of the state, and we may also project ourselves in different ways, but I've been OCing for about 4 1/2 years without a negative encounter. You may be at a greater risk of harassment for a variety of reasons so CC is definitely what you should be doing for now, I just wanted to throw that out there.

Now on to your main question. I am not remotely your body size, but I carry a full size 1911 and I also use the Serpa occasionally and I can tell you that holster is not designed with CC in mind, it just sticks out way too far. You would find that a leather pancake holster would hold the pistol much tighter to your side, but you're still going to have to wear bulky shirts to conceal under all conditions.

For the warmer months I think you are going to be much better off with an IWB (Inside Waist Band) holster, and there are quite a variety of makers and prices out there.

Start with Crossbreed or Galco just to get an idea of the general design, and you may find one that is even cheaper, although these are not real expensive to begin with.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/#dd-iwb

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...07&CatalogID=7

You might even want to check out the KangarooCarry holster for deep concealment that is comfortable...

http://www.kangaroocarry.com/

Others will likely chime in with their favorites and you will soon see that you have more holster choices than money. Good luck!
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; April 8th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Adams County)

(Bucks County)

Thank you all for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I can tell you that the SERPA is a pretty crappy choice if you're objective is concealment. They tend to stick out a bit. I have one for my G19.
    I am definitely going to get another holster for CC, as I am aware it sticks out a little. I put the firearm in my waistband to get an idea of how much of a difference it makes; and it makes a very noticeable difference. I also have a G19 with a Serpa, and I was actually just out running some errands and I CC'ed that with the Serpa, and it worked fine with my button down shirt; granted it's a smaller gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I think you'd have to hide it under a coat. I don't think a shirt would cover that.
    I tried using my suit/sport jacket, and it worked alright. But I usually wear that unbuttoned with nice jeans, and a slight breeze would reveal the firearm, as well as a motion of bending down.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You and I live in different parts of the state, and we may also project ourselves in different ways, but I've been OCing for about 4 1/2 years without a negative encounter. You may be at a greater risk of harassment for a variety of reasons so CC is definitely what you should be doing for now, I just wanted to throw that out there.
    I don't think people would associate my character and a visible firearm together into a formula that would spell "OMG SANDY HOOK ALL OVER AGAIN". It's more so the area I live in. A lot of people in this area tend to be liberal soccer mom's that think all guns are killing machines, or at least that's how they come off to be. Maybe I'll OC one day and just see how it goes; I have seen people do it before in my area, but it's very rare to actually see it.

(Allegheny County)

To be clear, there is nothing illegal about your jacket blowing open and exposing your handgun.

You may be aware of this already, but I point it out since you're new and a lot of people DO think that a handgun MUST be completely concealed at all times.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

i'm currently looking at the Alessi CQC-S and DOJ-S, to try my hand at concealing owb.

the milt sparks axiom looks like it rides pretty tight to the body too. too long of a wait time for me though. maybe later.

stock photo:

(York County)

I've mentioned Fist Holsters (NY) before in another post, and I'll tout their virtues here as well. Their leather pancake holsters are very concealable, they offer some custom options like retention straps, angle of cant, 8 colors, and high quality at a very reasonable price. I've had four, from a small wheel gun to a full sized ruger semi (larger than a 1911 ). Every one has been outstanding, and I still carry a sig 239 every day in their #9, OC & CC. Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

If you are looking for iwb check out the Milt Sparks summer special and ss2. I use one with my full size 1911. It is comfortable, conceals well, and stays in place! Quality is top notch as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast