Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA

Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA
    April 13, 2008

HAZLETON, Penn. — Former Republican presidential candidate Alan Keyes has chosen April 15 to make a major announcement of his intentions, following indications he has broken with the GOP.

A life-long Republican who has increasingly cited the party's failure to match conservative rhetoric with actual performance in the political arena, Keyes said he will reveal his reasons for departing the GOP at a press conference scheduled for 8:30 pm ET, at the Best Western Genetti Inn in Hazleton, PA.

The event will be video-streamed live at Keyes' website, www.AlanKeyes.com.

Keyes added that he is looking to the Constitution Party as a possible home for his future efforts in politics, including a potential run for president in the 2008 general election.

"No other 'third party' is as well-established as the Constitution Party," said Keyes. "They've been around since 1992, and have built a significant grassroots presence among patriotic, Constitution-minded citizens — with a registered membership of over 350,000. Conservatives have a home in the CP that they can find nowhere else, given the decline in the Republican Party's credibility as a voice and vehicle for conservatism."

Regarding his potential third-party candidacy for president in the fall, Keyes said, "I believe people deserve a choice. They certainly deserve a conservative choice — something neither John McCain, Hillary Clinton, nor Barack Obama can offer voters. All they can offer is empty promises based on liberal track records."

Symbolic of Keyes' break with the Republican Party is a caricature of the GOP logo — upside down — on the front page of his website.

The Constitution Party will hold its nominating convention April 23-26 in Kansas City.

According to Dan Smeriglio, a Keyes supporter who is helping to arrange the event, the former Reagan administration diplomat chose to make his announcement in Hazleton because of the town's strong stance on illegal immigration.

"I understand a good portion of his speech next week will center on illegal immigration," Smeriglio said. Smeriglio and a group he represents, Voice of the People USA, have been vocal in opposing illegal immigration since Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta introduced the Illegal Immigration Relief Act in 2006 — thrusting Hazleton into national prominence in the movement to stem illegal immigration.

Keyes — who has a Ph.D. in government from Harvard and wrote his dissertation on constitutional theory — served as Reagan's Assistant Secretary of State for International Organizations, as well as Ambassador to the United Nations Economic and Social Council, where he represented U.S. interests in the UN General Assembly.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Venango County)

Default Re: Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA

Interesting......However I feel if he ever wants a chance at the presidency, it will never happen unless you are one of the "Ruling" parties.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Erie County)

He was at the debate in Iowa I believe. He sounded really good, kinda like Ron Paul.

I see Gravel is running as an independent too. Any 2 of those 3 would be a great team, definately won't win though.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    He was at the debate in Iowa I believe. He sounded really good, kinda like Ron Paul.

I see Gravel is running as an independent too. Any 2 of those 3 would be a great team, definately won't win though.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. You may be right, but as long as people hold this type attitude, it's self-defeating. When you say 'I'm not voting for ....... because they'll never get enough vote, and it 'll be like throwing my vote away' you'll always be right. If you and everyone else who feels this way votes their conscience, we may not be in the condition we're in. Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil, and until we have the courage to break the cycle, we'll we're just feeding into those who say we must vote for one of the big two.

Me, well I'm staying registered Republican long enough to vote for Ron Paul in the Primaries. After that, Like Alan Keys, I'll be changing parties. Haven't decided on Libertarian, or Constitution, both are much more conservative than the Republicans.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. You may be right, but as long as people hold this type attitude, it's self-defeating. When you say 'I'm not voting for ....... because they'll never get enough vote, and it 'll be like throwing my vote away' you'll always be right. If you and everyone else who feels this way votes their conscience, we may not be in the condition we're in. Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil, and until we have the courage to break the cycle, we'll we're just feeding into those who say we must vote for one of the big two.

Me, well I'm staying registered Republican long enough to vote for Ron Paul in the Primaries. After that, Like Alan Keys, I'll be changing parties. Haven't decided on Libertarian, or Constitution, both are much more conservative than the Republicans.
    Until and unless the minor parties get representation in both houses of congress they will remain impotent in the view of the vast majority of Americans. If they want to become viable players in the game they need to start putting people up for local offices who have a chance of winning and changing people's minds. Once people start to see what the libertarians and constitutionalists have to offer, on the local level, they will be more apt to vote for them on the federal level and only then will we have the potential to have serious change in the political landscape.[/soapbox]
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Until and unless the minor parties get representation in both houses of congress they will remain impotent in the view of the vast majority of Americans. If they want to become viable players in the game they need to start putting people up for local offices who have a chance of winning and changing people's minds. Once people start to see what the libertarians and constitutionalists have to offer, on the local level, they will be more apt to vote for them on the federal level and only then will we have the potential to have serious change in the political landscape.[/soapbox]
    This reflects the catch 22 I was talking about. "I'm not voting 3rd party because they don't have enough representation" well how are they to get representation with out votes? The same arguement is used on the local levels, they aren't prevalent in national so we can't see their platform "well enough" Well until people vote their conscience, stop voting for evil, they'll never have enough of a voice because no one will vote for them becuase no one else is voting for them. it's a vicious circle.

(Berks County)

I disagree. Since no third party candidate will have ANY support in congress it is doubtful that they would be able to enact ANY legislation. That is just a fact of life. If you want to play with the big boys you need to work your way up the food chain until you are on the same level. I have supported, and will do in the future, third party candidates at the local level but until they get more support they will never make it to the federal level. Everyone has to start somewhere and that is normally at the bottom of the food chain.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

I haven't been very impressed lately with Alan Keyes.

Sure, he's a great speaker and all that, a defender of the right to keep and bear arms, and apparently did some good work during the Reagan Administration at the U.N., but lately he's seemed a bit erratic.

In one of his several presidential campaigns (1996, maybe?) I recall him engaging in hunger strikes (!?!?) to protest the fact that he wasn't invited to a debate.

His performance against Obama in 2004 was embarrassing, getting only 27% of the vote. (I don't think he's ever actually won an election for public office....)

So I predict that the net impact of his leaving the GOP will be just about zero.

(Westmoreland County)

Well, the jury is still out on Alan Keyes.

If I am not mistaken, he runs for political office because he's paid to do so. IIRC, he's paid a salary in order to run. So, I question his motives in a regard.

I'd like to know what he did with the UN. I'm sure-as-shit not a fan but I've not read up much on it.

Any information will be graciously received. My aunt sent me this but I am not sure what to make of it

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...alan_keyes.htm
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Well, the jury is still out on Alan Keyes.

If I am not mistaken, he runs for political office because he's paid to do so. IIRC, he's paid a salary in order to run. So, I question his motives in a regard.

I'd like to know what he did with the UN. I'm sure-as-shit not a fan but I've not read up much on it.

Any information will be graciously received. My aunt sent me this but I am not sure what to make of it

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...alan_keyes.htm
    WOW! That link makes me look like I'm Lenin's long lost brother. Talk about coming from the far right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast