Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default So after I cleaned the brass.......

.....which really isn't all that clean, just shiny on the outside, what do I do next?

I picked up a Lee Load-Master setup for 9mm and RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner here in the classified section. Saved a bunch of brass, ran it through the press to remove the primers (since I'm new to this, I'm taking it one step at a time), put about 400 rounds in the case cleaner along w/the corncob media that came w/the cleaner, added a few 'squirts' of some 3M Swirl Remover and ran the cleaner for over 3 hours.

As stated, the brass is shiny, but the inside is still rather 'dingy' and the primer pocket is pretty much the same. I know that there are primer pocket cleaner, but is that what everyone uses on every single shell? What about the inside? I used a scratch awl to clean the primer pocket on about 100 rounds and ran a machine screw into the bottom to clean the inside, but man, that took almost 2 hours itself?

Suggestions? Home remedies?
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Tioga County)

Default Re: So after I cleaned the brass.......

If the outside is clean your good to go. I don't do 9mm but I do bunches of 45ACP. I tumble with the primer in. then feed the LM. Don't worry abou the dingy inside on the stuff in the primer pocket. if you get to the point that the primer won't seat properly then worry about cleaning the primer pockets. some people don't clean their cases at all.

(Lawrence County)

Don't worry about shiny insides. I never clean primer pockets on pistol rounds......rifles, that's another story.

But....if you really want clean brass you need to wash it first. You can use a 5 gallon bucke from your local Lowes or Home Depot and some degreaser and hot water.

LycanusesNuFinishwithcorncobtumblethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlyer View Post
    .....which really isn't all that clean, just shiny on the outside, what do I do next?

I picked up a Lee Load-Master setup for 9mm and RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner here in the classified section. Saved a bunch of brass, ran it through the press to remove the primers (since I'm new to this, I'm taking it one step at a time), put about 400 rounds in the case cleaner along w/the corncob media that came w/the cleaner, added a few 'squirts' of some 3M Swirl Remover and ran the cleaner for over 3 hours.

As stated, the brass is shiny, but the inside is still rather 'dingy' and the primer pocket is pretty much the same. I know that there are primer pocket cleaner, but is that what everyone uses on every single shell? What about the inside? I used a scratch awl to clean the primer pocket on about 100 rounds and ran a machine screw into the bottom to clean the inside, but man, that took almost 2 hours itself?

Suggestions? Home remedies?
    If you want to clean the primer pockets then get something on the order of an RCBS case prep station but as others have said it really isn't necessary to do on pistol brass. Straight wall pistol cartridges run at a relatively low pressure and are the easiest to learn to reload on.

That said.

Please be carefull. Home remedies and ideas like using a scratch awl and machine screw is NEVER a good idea. Brass is VERY soft, when you go poking around with something like a scratch awl it isn't hard to scratch a case a good way thru the thickness. Straight wall pistol brass is forgiving because of the relative low pressure but you accidently scratch high pressure or bottle neck cases with something like a scratch awl and you are begging for a case rupture when you fire it.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

(Lebanon County)

I agree with the advice so far. I very rarely run my brass in a tumbler. I don't always clean the primer pockets for pistol rounds, but like Lycan, always for rifle rounds.
    A clean primer pocket will assure a better primer seat. That's important to precision shooters. Plinking and practice ammo isn't as critical. The primer pocket would have to be pretty filthy to cause a problem, but it can cause a problem. I'd clean it out after 2 or 3 reloads. The Lee primer pocket cleaner (cheap) works very well, the RCBS brush (more comfortable to hold) is nicer, but a flat blade of the proper width is just as effective, you only need to scrape out a bit of black carbon-like residue, it's not tough to get out.
    If I have a batch of brass that's pretty dull and crappy looking, I'll tumble it. My rifle brass starts out clean and stays that way, with a little bit of a wipe at each reload. Most of my pistol brass is shot on an indoor range, so it doesn't get too dirty.
    Clean shiny brass is easier to find, and you know that what you're runnung through your gun isn't going to damage it with dirt. I won't fault anyone for tumbling all of their brass every time.
    Back to the answer to your question;
    Since you have your brass as clean as or cleaner than it needs to be, proceed to the next step of reloading.
    If you sized it when you de-primed it, your next steps are to flare the mouth, prime the case, charge with powder and seat the bullet. If you de-primed it without sizing it, your next step is to size it.
    As stated, clean inside isn't critical, although you don't want mud, spider webs, or other debris in there, sparkling clean isn't going to do you any good, even if you can make it that clean.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(York County)

Thanks, just being my usual meticulous (anal) self. I'm one to use q-tips to detail the car or bike when cleaning.

As to the scratch awl, it wasn't sharpened (I work w/wood and usually use it to start a pilot hole), the machine screw was brass itself, and yes, I know the softness of brass.

Books have been ordered (Lee's "Modern Reloading Second Edition" Manual (since I have a Lee's press) and Lyman's "48th Edition Reloading Handbook"), but they're both on BO.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

Try walnut bird litter. Seems to work better on the heavy stuff.
    I tumble my brass before sizing/de-priming.
    The walnut shells clean the inside pretty well.

(Fayette County)

I use walnut media in the tumbler for about 4 hours with the primers removed. That usually get the outside real shiny but leaves the inside dirty. You will probably never get the inside to look like the outside and thats O.K. After tumbling, I soak the brass in a solution of hot water and dish liquid, (de-greaser), and vinegar or lemon juice. Not sure if the vinegar or lemon juice does anything but I like to think it does.

I usually clean small batches at a time so instead of a 5 gallon bucket I use a coffee can with a lid. Put your cases in with the solution, give it a shake ever now and then, and an hour or so later take them out and rinse. Make sure to dry them so you dont get any water spots on your nice shiney cases. I use a wood burner for heat so I usually set them on top of the furnace, ( in winter), in an aluminum foil pan overnite.

I mainly wash the cases to get the residue off left from the tumbler but I do find that alot of the crud inside the case and primer pocket comes loose and washes out. And they are so clean on the outside they squeak.

(Montgomery County)

found walnut media for bottom of parrot cage is same as lyman walnut media.
    Minus sleaning agent some use new finish,some use nu finish.
    Lyman cleaning media 18.00 per 3lb bottle.
    Parrot media 25lbs 9.00 plus nufinish 8.00-17.00 ......for 25 pounds