Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Complaints from neighbors of an established range

I don't have all the details but the range I belong to may end Sunday shooting because of noise complaints. I was wondering if any members have been through this before. I have heard rumors of "rounds leaving the range", though that is unverified. This is a small, informal range in that there is no range officer etc. I have yet to speak with anyone from the range so I don't know any details but was told the township meeting earlier this week resulted in an end to sunday shooting, don't know if the range offered this or if it is a new township ordinance. Again, I know I'm short on details but I am very interested in the thoughts, opinions and suggestions of the members, thank you.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Complaints from neighbors of an established range

What do you mean by an "informal" range? Just a open piece of land that people stop to shoot on? If so, I'm afraid the neighbors complaints may get it shut down.

Now if its an established range, either public like the PGC ranges, or a private range that was there before people started to build houses, I'd tell them to go pound sand. No one forced them to move/build there.

That's like moving next to an airport, then trying to get it shut down because of the noise.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Complaints from neighbors of an established range

That may very well be, Steve, but that won't prevent homeowners from "Lawyering up" and outspending the range users on legal fees.

Think it can't happen? Ask the Knapp brothers how much grief they've had to endure while trying to keep Englishtown Raceway Park open in the face of mounting legal opposition by residents who are new to the Old Bridge Township area.

(Luzerne County)

I thought I read somewhere about laws or ordinances being established to prevent established ranges from being closed by new "neighbors".

(Centre County)

Steve, by informal I was referring to the day to day operations of this range. I have only been a member for a year and a half. My membership card says that this range has been in operation since 1946. Thanks to all who have posted already, I again apologize for being short on specifics and am in an intelligence gathering mode.
    Let's go Brandon!!!