Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Just moved from TX to PA

Hello! This is my first post. I just moved from TX to PA, and needless to say I was worried about the increased severity of gun restrictions in the state, but everything seems to be going OK. What's the best way to go about getting a concealed carry license in PA?
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Just moved from TX to PA

Quote Originally Posted by jdpate View Post
    Hello! This is my first post. I just moved from TX to PA, and needless to say I was worried about the increased severity of gun restrictions in the state, but everything seems to be going OK. What's the best way to go about getting a concealed carry license in PA?
    The best (and only) way to get your License To Cary Firearms (LTCF - there is no such thing as a CWP or CCW permit) is to go to the Sheriff's office in your county and fill out the required paperwork.

There is no training requirement or anything - just fill out the paperwork and pay the required fee, usually between $25 and $50.

(Luzerne County)

Go to the sheriff dept in your county... get the application.... take it home and fill it out... come back with $$$$$$$$$$..... and it goes from there.. I dont know what waiting period they have there... in Luzerne county we get the background check done while we wait and walk out in about 15 minutes with it....

(Delaware County)

Welcome to Pennsylvania and PAFOA.

(Northampton County)

Welcome, Texan!

Sorry you don't like our gun laws. I think you could have done worse, though. There's really good info on this board, better than I have seen on other boards dedicated to various topics. Poke around and ask questions, you'll get very good answers. Sometimes from lawyers, although they couldn't possibly warranty forum advice.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Welcome, Texan!

Sorry you don't like our gun laws. I think you could have done worse, though. There's really good info on this board, better than I have seen on other boards dedicated to various topics. Poke around and ask questions, you'll get very good answers. Sometimes from lawyers, although they couldn't possibly warranty forum advice.
    I didn't say I didn't like your gun laws, I just said I was worried about what they might be like. From what I've learned just in the last few minutes about the license to carry, it seems like the laws may be even more favorable towards carriers than TX law is. Especially in rural areas like mine.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Pike County)

Howdy jdpate, and welcome to PA and the forum!

(Allegheny County)

I didn't say I didn't like your gun laws, I just said I was worried about what they might be like. From what I've learned just in the last few minutes about the license to carry, it seems like the laws may be even more favorable towards carriers than TX law is. Especially in rural areas like mine.
    The biggest difference between TX and PA is the fact that in PA, Open Carry is legal, with only a few restrictions.

Second, you can carry in a bar, poling place, highway rest areas, in a church, in a Hospital, at an Amusement Park... oh, and "no guns" signs carry no legal weight.

Of curse, on any private property, you can be asked to leave and if you don't you can be charged with Defiant Trespass, but you won't be charged with a gun crime.

Also, you are NOT required to notify an officer that you are carrying at a traffic stop - though some here believe that it's a good idea.

(Luzerne County)

...it seems like the laws may be even more favorable towards carriers than TX law is. Especially in rural areas like mine.
    I think you'll find they are.
    One big difference is that you are allowed to open carry in PA.

Here is a great summary of carry laws in PA.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...-printing.html

PS: WELCOME aboard!

(Bedford County)

That's good news. I guess having been born and raised in Texas, I figured gun laws everywhere else, especially in northern states with very large urban areas and higher people per square mile, must be much more restrictive. And I never had any reason to look into it before. Happy to be here... there will be one more responsible and safety-minded carrier soon. Thanks for your help.

What is the best online resource for reviewing a summary of PA gun laws?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast