Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hospitals

(York County)

Default Hospitals

Can I carry concealed when I visit patients in a normal hospital?

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Hospitals

Most of the ones I have been to have signs against firearms.

(York County)

Yea I know the hospital I work at has a strict policy against anybody carrying firearms. Even cops. The head of security had the audacity to say that if any (even uniformed) police officer came into the hospital not on official police business, that they would ask to secure the officer's weapon until he left. I know the head of security is total anti anybody owning a firearm. When I was on my orientation he even went off on a tangent about how he feels nobody should own "military assault weapons." If I wasn't a brand new employee and needed the job I would have asked him to keep his opinions to himself because just about everybody in the room didn't care.. Every door has a no weapons sign. No security guard carries any form of defense. Its observe and report, and run and hide if a shooter comes in. Damn shame.

(Philadelphia County)

You can't open carry but unless there's something stating you can't have a gun you should be able to conceal.

I've never noticed my Dad remove his when we go in, and he makes a big fuss about that, so I'd know if he was taking it off.

I haven't had the *joy* of bringing mine into a hospital yet, and hopefully won't have to worry about that for a while.

(Philadelphia County)

My grandfather was in Frankford-Frankford recently for breathing problems. If anyone knows about the Frankford section of Philadelphia, They know it's not a great place to be. I live in on the disputed zone of Frankford/Wissinoming border and volunteer at a museum in Frankford.

Back to the story. A few days ago when my grandmother called me at 5am to come pick her up I was CCing. Granted I stayed in the vehicle and pulled up to the main entrance. Anyways the multiple times I went to visit him I saw no "No Weapons/Guns" signs. I got a visitor pass and went to his room with my sidearm concealed and a multi-tool. The security guards didn't ask me if I was carrying or anything. Once I went wearing a NRA hat and another time wearing a PAFOA sweatshirt.

The last time I went I was standing in a long line [waiting in the lobby for tge first time], and noticed an entrance to the emergency room. It was separated by a wall with a window. They had a metal detector and sign that read "No firearms" in fine print. They did say if you had a "permit" you can check your firearm until you leave. I decided since the door I went threw did not have a No guns sign visible from out side and I read a thread about the Security Guards there calling the PPD to come run serial numbers on checked firearms, I would carry and keep my mouth shut. If confronted and asked to leave or check my gun I would. I would simply say at no point in time did I see a no firearms sign on the outside of the doors as required by law or was I asked if I was carrying.

Best part was when I got to Grandpa's floor and was walking to his room, There was a Philadelphia Sheriff or Prison Guard on the floor. She was visiting someone too. She was wearing her issue pants with a gray t-shirt and had a Glock visible. This wasn't an accidental showing she had an OC rig and all. Another point I would of brought up if confronted.

*Also I want to give some thanks to my significant other. When Grandma called for a ride at 5am[She rode in the ambulance with grandpa], I threw on pants, strapped on my sidearm, and got my keys. I put on a light jacket and took it off before I got in the car to hand over to my grandma incase if she was cold. About 2 blocks from home, I felt my back pocket and realized I left my wallet. I carry my LTC and DL in my wallet. I might of been okay if I was in my truck [I keep my VA CHP in my truck's visor] but we took the van so we all could fit. Any way when my stomach knotted up and said "Oh, shit I forgot my license", My GF pulls my wallet out of her purse. She said "I saw you put your gun on and noticed to didn't take your wallet. I grabbed it just in case". Would of been ugly driving threw Frankford at 5AM, with a pistol and no DL and LTC.
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; April 4th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

(York County)

One time (in band camp) I saw someone in Holy Spirit, with two pistols open carried, and he looked like Dog, the Bounty Hunter.
    To be more specific I'm talking about Hershey Medical.

It is very clearly written that no firearms are allowed in the housing, but I can't find anything about the public hospital.
    http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/...nants/policies

I think my best bet is to use their contact us feature to ask them on their webpage.

(Bucks County)

I've found that I rarely see these signs everyone mentions. Perhaps it is because I am too busy living life to be bothered to read the owners maunual to every pencil, paperclip, shoestring i buy.

If I didn't see the sign, perhaps it isn't big enough, or perhaps it wasn't placed where I could see it, or maybe somebody is lyingand it wasn't there when i entered the building. Prove otherwise. That being said, "Concealed means concealed" means that this is rarely a problem for me. I usually OC, but if I'm going somewhere that I KNOW folks might be offended, I might untuck my shirt.

It works for me.

(York County)

I just don't want to run into rent-a-cops with state of the art weapon finding technology.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I've found that I rarely see these signs everyone mentions. Perhaps it is because I am too busy living life to be bothered to read the owners maunual to every pencil, paperclip, shoestring i buy.

If I didn't see the sign, perhaps it isn't big enough, or perhaps it wasn't placed where I could see it, or maybe somebody is lyingand it wasn't there when i entered the building. Prove otherwise. That being said, "Concealed means concealed" means that this is rarely a problem for me. I usually OC, but if I'm going somewhere that I KNOW folks might be offended, I might untuck my shirt.

It works for me.
    I find this to be the case also. Whether I'm entering a hospital, restaurant or store I don't stop to look for signs about guns or what ever other policies they may arbitrarily impose on those entering. If I'm lucky I might notice the big letters "PULL" or "PUSH" near a door handle, and even then I still get it wrong sometimes. If I see a sign I'll obey, but when carrying just about everywhere becomes second nature, if I'm walking into a hospital I've got more urgent matters on my mind, and stopping to read all the signs on the door is not one of them. If I miss a sign, get spotted and I'm asked to leave I'll comply without issue.
    Last edited by str8shooter; April 5th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

(Jefferson County)

There is no law against openly or concealed carry in a hospital except mental hospitals or a Veterans Administration Hospital.

However, any other hospital may have a policy against it, including postings. Trespass laws would apply then.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast