Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Primers

(Beaver County)

Default Primers

Is there a diffrence in primers between Winchester and CCI in general reloading? Thanks, Ric

Default Re: Primers

Theoretically, Yes. In reality, when I go to buy them, I prefer CCI (only because I started with them YEARS ago), but if they aren't in stock I'll take Winchester.

(Lebanon County)

As far as performance, some guys, mainly bench rest or other precision shooters will only use certain primers because they have a super accurate load that works better with a particular primer. If you're loading "hot" loads that are pushing the limits, you want to back off when switching brands of primers, some are a bit hotter than others. Generally not enough to make a significant difference when loading normal loads, but enough to get dangerous if you're already on the edge.
    Another difference is the hardness of the cup. Lee recommends CCI primers for use in their hand priming tool because the hardness of the cup makes it less likely to have one discharge while priming. That being said, if you have a gun that's giving a weak primer strike and occasional misfires, you may get varying results with different primers.

To answer your question in terms of general reloading, it's like the Ford/Chevy debate. Most people will have a preference, but for the average reloader, shooting average loads in an average gun, you should get very similar results with any brand.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Northumberland County)

yes there is a difference.

when i bought my reloading setup, i got about 5k s+w alcan priners. i worked up a 9mm load with 115gn rainier hp's to exactly emulate the wwb 155gn fmj i use for plinking.

when i ran out of alcan primers, i tried a few diffrent brands with VERY diffrent velocity results between the diffrent brands. (over 500 fps diffrence betw highest and lowest, on an, iirc avg 1200 fps load!!! thats around 50%!!!)

fyi, federal is just about an exact match for the alcan
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

Winchesters are softer, less chance of missfires with lightened hammer/striker
    springs.

(Berks County)

I use either WInchester or CCI which ever I can get
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

I prefer CCI but that's just me. If I can't get them I get Winchester.
    CCI is hardest, followed by Winchester, Remington and Federal is softest. Some of the manufacturers of reloading equipment recommend not using Federal because they're so soft they can explode.

if your shooting competition and have the perfect load then yes. But for the reloader loading to save money that uses different headstamped brass, and are in it for the savings then go with whats cheapest as long as it works with your firearms.

Post Re: Primers Berdan

Quote Originally Posted by optionwiz View Post
    Is there a diffrence in primers between Winchester and CCI in general reloading? Thanks, Ric
    Yes, but please note,

I have researched this up and down. I have thousands of rounds of spent Berdan primed Military Brass That I refuse to throw away. With the price of Boxer Brass and Primers skyrockiting it is time for groups like this Board and hundred's of others to take action. YES Berdan primers are available and cheap and seem to be blocked by one U.S. Company " Do I Smell Boycott"

Here is the REAL ANSWER, and obvious action that needs to be taken to stop this crap.

I have spent some time with a real gentelman at RWS in Australia and here is his reply. This is TRUE! ACCURATE! and CLEARLY! points to the solution. Which is in mass to contact the "Authorized" U.S. Distributer and demand that they either Import the Primers under thier Contract or give it up to another Importer. A second option would be for a large group of U.S. reloaders to pool a large sum of money and deal with REd,

WORD FOR WORD QUOTE:

As I mentioned the Berdan Primers are supplied to us by RUAG Ammotec G.m.b.H of Germany, RWS is their sales brand name.

They are exported to us under an Export Control regime ( Waasenar Convention) which requires us to undertake not to re-export to certain countries.

We are permitted to export to USA however we are required to get permission from the Australian Department of Defence who administer the Export Control Regime for the Government, for us to export to USA you must fill in the “End Use Certificate” from the form below with the appropriate signatures of your Police Authorities which you send back to us, we have to put that form with an application to Export the items which we lodge with the Defence Dept.

They check with the German Authorities to see if they object to us exporting to you as the Berdan Primers are still considered a military item as many of the European military forces continue to load their service Ammuntion with them.

All this paperwork can take about a month or more to process.

We have only 8000 Berdan 5.5 mm primers in stock at present, if you want large quantities we would have to get them from Germany, this could take several months to get delivery, our next container will be around Feb/March 2010 although we could get some by air cargo as we need some other similar product soon which is likely to be shipped by air cargo.

I have asked previously if the factory would deliver direct to USA when a potential customer enquired about 2 million primers, Ruag would not do it as they have a distributor in USA, Umarex USA, I understand that Umarex largely only sell air pellets in USA but Ruag will not supply direct to USA against Umarex therefore any orders would have to tranship via Australia.

Ruag closed their office in USA and they don’t supply USA with any of their products unless via distributors who purchase in bulk.

http://www.defence.gov.au/strategy/deco/transfers.htm

http://www.defence.gov.au/strategy/d...te_I_11_04.pdf

Any other questions let me know.

Best Regards,

Graeme Forbes,

Forbes Wholesale P/L

Target Shooting & Blackpowder Supplies

RWS Ammunition & Titan Rifles

www.forbesws.com.au

__________________________________________________ _______________
    MY ORIGINAL EMAIL

Sent: Wednesday, 26 August 2009 4:35 PM
    To: forbes@forbesws.com.au
    Subject: Berdan Primers USA

Sir,

As you know Berdan Primers are now impossible to find in the USA. This is an item that is in high demand by thousands of U.S. re-loaders who have tens of thousands of spent military brass that goes to scrap for lack of primers. Knowing that old production military rounds will at some point dry up and the cost of Boxer Brass and primers at an all time high numerous re-loaders are now again looking for a source for Berdan Primers. Some are actually drilling a center flash hole and penning a lip in the Primer Pocket to hold a smaller Boxer Primer, in my opinion a dangerous practice.

Many of the Gun Clubs are now exploring the possibility of pooling money to guarantee a large import of the Primers. I noted you at one point and I believed you quoted me a figure of $10,000.+ to make an import possible.

Many members have considered approaching a local Importer with a guarantee of purchase.

Bottom line is, is there any way you could provide a cost for say 10,000 lots of primers and a total minimum wholesale cost to import into the U.S.A.

Thanks for your help,

Ed O'Halloran

edhallor@comcast.net

PS, on last check the last two U.S. companies selling Berdan ran out a few years back, and there are none to be found at any price.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4367 (20090825) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com
    WS in Australia directly under the conditions he has outlined"

BELOW IS THE VERBATEM RESPONSE: