Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Ed

(York County)

Default Hunter Ed

Hi all...did some looking on this discussion thread and did not see any mention of the International Hunter Education Association.

A friend of mine is going to get a hunting license this year and told me that before you can take the actual hunter's ed class you have to do an on-line thing through the IHEA. What in the world is this? I don't like the sounds of a requirement that has the word "International" in it. Sounds like some sort of U.N. crap to me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this organization is and why one must complete this before being able to take a hunter's ed course in PA?
    I wish I had a smaller gun and less ammo

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Hunter Ed

Go too the link below. Some rumors have a hint of truth others are just ridicules.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/se...unity/pgc/9106

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2glocks4me View Post
    Hi all...did some looking on this discussion thread and did not see any mention of the International Hunter Education Association.

A friend of mine is going to get a hunting license this year and told me that before you can take the actual hunter's ed class you have to do an on-line thing through the IHEA. What in the world is this? I don't like the sounds of a requirement that has the word "International" in it. Sounds like some sort of U.N. crap to me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this organization is and why one must complete this before being able to take a hunter's ed course in PA?
    I attended a hunters safety class on 3-23-13 with my son. I did see that "international" bullshit, but nowhere could I determine what effect it had on the training (if any). There was some mention of it in the beginning of the training materials but nothing really more in-depth than that.

Here is a link to the work that should be reviewed at home prior to the class:
    http://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvani..._2.html?page=1

Here's the full course:
    http://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvani...ok.html?page=1

Overall the course was good, but the one instructor kept referring to a magazine as a "clip" and damn that grated on my nerves!! LOL

This is the 1st time I've ever heard of this "international hunters ed course." It is not required to take the PA HTE.

(York County)

Thats for the links and replies. Glad I took my classes back in the 70's.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    This is the 1st time I've ever heard of this "international hunters ed course." It is not required to take the PA HTE.
    See page #3 on the first link I posted above to see the mention of IHEA in the class materials.

Again, not sure to what real degree the IHEA I has on our classes, but they are certainly mentioned in the materials and was briefly noted in the actual class.

Quote Originally Posted by ettorment1916 View Post
    See page #3 on the first link I posted above to see the mention of IHEA in the class materials.

Again, not sure to what real degree the IHEA I has on our classes, but they are certainly mentioned in the materials and was briefly noted in the actual class.
    Ah... I think I get it. This IHEA is the overseeing body that puts these course materials together. All states use them and probably so do other countries. While the materials appear to be customized for PA only, there's a lot of common things across the world with these courses.

I believe your buddy was referring to the "study-at-home" version of the PA HTE. You can get these study materials online (or free through the mail if you call the PGC and pay shipping) and then go to the 3 hour class somewhere to take the test and get your card. Otherwise, you do the 2 day 10 hour course.

(York County)

Great, thanks CL3

(Allegheny County)

A final summation of how it all works to possibly help another reader out there.

#1 - Go here and register online at the place and date that works the best for you:
    http://www.register-ed.com/programs/25[B]

#2 - Go here and ensure you review this 34 pages of online course material prior to attending the on-site class:
    http://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvani..._2.html?page=1

#3 - Attend the class.

The on-site course is either two three hour evenings OR a six hour Saturday. There are four booklet handouts although one is only really used. Our course was 8am to 2:30pm on a Saturday (6hrs class with a 1/2hr for provided lunch).

After the course, the instructor will administer the test by reading out loud 65 questions that are either true or false or multiple choice (no essay). You must get no more than 13 wrong to pass, although our instruction ensured everyone would pass before they left...().

When you pass you get your card, a bumper sticker, and a pencil.....all flourescent orange mind you!! LOL In my life it was the 3rd course I attended and each time it is always interesting to some degree.

Hope this helps the OP or anyone else out there.
    Last edited by ettorment1916; April 3rd, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

(York County)

Thanks again ettorment1916!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast