Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Still trying to find a decent place to shoot in pgh...

I've all but given up on finding a decent range to shoot skeet around the pittsburgh area. Does anyone know about the local laws for discharging a firearm on private property. (i know all it takes is one angry mother to shut you down) All i want to do is take a nice weekend and blow off some steam with some clay without the hasstle and rules and formalities of a range or paying 100 dollars for a membership i know i won't use more than a few times. Any suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Still trying to find a decent place to shoot in pgh...

The Aliquippa Bucktails is open to the public on Wed. eve for skeet and Fri. eve for trap...according to their sign at the gate. I've never gone there to shoot so I can't give you any details. We stopped there one afternoon to check the place out...they have 1 trap and 1 combination skeet/trap field.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Allegheny County)

I believe that the Castlewood Rod and Gun Club is open to the public on Sundays.

http://www.castlewoodclays.com/

(Beaver County)

Pitcairin-Monroeville is open to the public on thursdays, saturdays and Sundays for trap. I'm sure they'll open the skeet field also. Check out our website PMSConline for times.

(Allegheny County)

if you are just looking for a place to shoot clays and you have a thrower, you can go to the shotgun clays range in sgl 203. its free.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Still trying to find a decent place to shoot in pgh...

If you can make it to the Wexford state game lands just off the Wexford exit of 79 , 910 to Mingo Rd. ................... Before sundown or after 12 noon on sunday. Its free, it has a 10,25,50,97yd with a roof over the entire firing line. JUST READ AND FOLLOW THE RULES they like to surpries people who dont follow the rules (one of them lives with in ear shot) As for shooting on private land yours or others most townships have laws against it Ross, McCandless, Hampton, Pine, Richland, ect.... in the north say NO to discharging any type of firearm.

Shooting skeet at a club is easy. What hastles, rules, etc. bother you?
    Jules

(Westmoreland County)

I was invited by EmptyMag to go shooting at PMSC this morning. I had a heck of a time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. EmptyMag is a great guy, very friendly and more than willing to help. He even let me check out his guns.

It snowed a bit here and there but warmed up nicely. I got ~150 rounds or so fired and didn't do too shabby(I love my XD40). I'm really amazed at the expanse of PMSC's grounds. There's a ton of places to shoot and well separated to avoid over-crowding. I'll be sending in my application this week.

A BIG thanks to EmptyMag for his time and patience.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    I was invited by EmptyMag to go shooting at PMSC this morning. I had a heck of a time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. EmptyMag is a great guy, very friendly and more than willing to help. He even let me check out his guns.

It snowed a bit here and there but warmed up nicely. I got ~150 rounds or so fired and didn't do too shabby(I love my XD40). I'm really amazed at the expanse of PMSC's grounds. There's a ton of places to shoot and well separated to avoid over-crowding. I'll be sending in my application this week.

A BIG thanks to EmptyMag for his time and patience.

and a big YOU'RE WELCOME to TheHighChild.

Glad you enjoyed the "First Annual PAFOA Pittsburgh Chapter Shoot"
    Maybe next time the event will draw a larger crowd?!!!

I tried (on short notice) to gather a few of the local forum members to go shooting and unfortunately, this time only two of us could make it on the same day. It was nice to meet TheHighChild in person and he was kind enough to allow me to put several mags of 40 cal thru his XD while he tried on my G19 for size.

Note in his post that TheHighChild said his shooting was amazingly improved just by being AT a private club... Well, OK, he didn't exactly say THAT. (but his shooting really WASN'T too "shabby!") Just think how much better his shooting could get if/after he joins. (more range time=more practice)
    My point is, joining a club has a lot of benefits. You get to practice more, improving your skills. You are exposed to different types of shooting that you may have never considered before. You make a lot of new friends. All-U-Can-Eat Breakfasts for only $3 on Sundays!!! (At PMSC anyway!)

I don't "push" my club (Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club) on people, but If anyone here would like to see the club or simply just get together to shoot there one day, PM me, I'd be happy to show you around!

Emptymag
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

pretty late on responding to this thread since i'm just joining so you've probably made your move... but allegheny country and northside sportsmans both let you take your own throwers to the skeet/trap ranges as long as they arent using the machines... so you can go and just toss them out w/ your pleasure if your just getting into it, i personally love the machines and just having to say pull, usually there are the same group of guys, always giving you pointers just having fun though.. if you want to get into it join a club, go a few times a week for just a few dollars and have a good time.