Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Living in Norristown & Applying for LTCF

I've lived in Norristown for a year now and recently (as in the past year) became a firearm owner. I've got no criminal record or anything like that. Had maybe 2 parking tickets in the past 5 years... that's it.

Looking to get my LTCF permit and just want to kinda get the idea of how much of a pain it's gonna be. I know Montco tends to be a pain when it comes to this.

I've got the forms filled out and ready to go, just need to get the local police check done. Just a little unsure where to take the police check form, since I live in Norristown (is police dept. in the same building as the sheriff's office?).

Other than that, any reason I shouldn't get my LTCF approved? Any idea how long it will take, as a resident of Norristown?

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Living in Norristown & Applying for LTCF

first off, get the heck out of norristown. FAST. muy rapido a pie, o coche, o el barco, no me importa. jk.

once you have the check card in hand and go to the sheriff, its like getting a new driver's license printed out.

not sure how long you'll have to wait for the check card in norristown. I think the PD is off of Airy street in like an alley somewhere. Hope i never find out actually.

although the whole check card thing is illegal because the sheriff is actually making the local PD do the background checking, when it's really the sheriff's job, but i digress.

fwiw, i had no problem.

(Montgomery County)

I love in Montco and the whole process was done in less than 24 hours... Woulda been 12 hours if I didn't have work
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Montgomery County)

The sheriff is not making the local PD "do the background check".
    The sheriff is asking the local PD for a reference, to see if you are a problem. It is part of the sheriff's background check process.

It is entirely your choice as to getting the police check card or not. You can take the paper to the police station and have them fill it out, once you get it, you go to the courthouse, run PICS and get your LTCF while you wait. If the PD stalls, you can follow up with them.
    or
    Take your LTCF application to the sheriff without the check card. Then the sheriff will contact your local PD and ask them the same questions that are on the card. After they get the answers, they contact you to come in, run PICS and get your LTCF while you wait. The sheriff says it could take 45 days, because they cannot control how long the local PD takes to respond and they are not making follow up calls.

I have heard Norristown, or one of the Norritons was charging a fee to fill out the card. That is just plain wrong.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tachion View Post
    I've lived in Norristown for a year now and recently (as in the past year) became a firearm owner. I've got no criminal record or anything like that. Had maybe 2 parking tickets in the past 5 years... that's it.

Looking to get my LTCF permit and just want to kinda get the idea of how much of a pain it's gonna be. I know Montco tends to be a pain when it comes to this.

I've got the forms filled out and ready to go, just need to get the local police check done. Just a little unsure where to take the police check form, since I live in Norristown (is police dept. in the same building as the sheriff's office?).

Other than that, any reason I shouldn't get my LTCF approved? Any idea how long it will take, as a resident of Norristown?

Thanks!
    The Police Station is in Borough hall is on Airy St. The police station is in the back of the building. Just drop off the form and than go back and pick it up. It took five days for mine.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.