Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Why do you carry?

The title says it all. Why?

Reason I'm asking is that it seems the laws are somewhat against the law abiding citizen if you do get into a confrontation and must pull your firearm. I know pulling a firearm is the absolute last resort, but it's like the kid that gets sucker punched then fights back and he's the one getting in trouble.

Some things just don't make sense when you have to start proving you're innocent, while protecting yourself or someone else. Our laws are crazy!

Why do I carry, I don't. Why, because in my 50 years I have never been in a situation where I have felt threatened enough to have a firearm to feel secure or safe. I have the permit and enough hardware to more than take care of business, but never had to! Thank goodness..........

Let's hear from some others!

Craig
    OBAMA - One Big Ass Mistake America.....

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Why do you carry?

Because I have an incredibly small penis. I am compensating for that, that is why I only oc full sized guns.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lehigh County)

Too old to fight and can't run any more but still wanna live for a while so I carry.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmudda View Post
    Why do I carry, I don't. Why, because in my 50 years I have never been in a situation........
    I'm a wee bit older than you. Why do I carry? Because I can, period.

I spent twenty-one years in the army, one and a half of them in Vietnam. Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. You've never been in a situation where you felt threatened? Good for you. Just because nothing bad has happened yet, doesn't mean it won't happen at all.

I carry just in case. I don't plan on needing it, it may never happen that I might need it, but just in case, I have it.

(Lancaster County)

For the same reason as why I have car insurrance. To have it when I need it. Really goes for any kind of insurrance for that matter, it's more common sense than anything else. Statistically anything can happen at any time. So why not be prepared for it. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it..... I don't really care for me or my family becoming a negative statistic. Regarding the laws not being for it, that's not true. As long as you reasonably believed that you're life or someone near you was in danger than you are legally justified to defend yourself/others. Except for a few states, where you may have a duty to retreat instead of defending yourself, you can defend yourself/others in most places. There have been multiple justified shootings around where I live in the past few years. and Guess what, not one of the shooters was charged with anything. Why? Because they acted within the law. The local DAs don't really even want to touch cases like this around here as long as the shootings were deemed self defense, and they are clear cut. It's not like out in Kalifornia, where the individual defending themselves will be going to a criminal trial.

(Delaware County)

Haven't found a decent tuckable holster for a cop.
    Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Jefferson County)

I carry because I don't need a reason to carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I carry to protect myself, my family and loved ones from becomming a victim of crime, serious bodily harm, or death. Having a weapon doesnt make you a pusscake, it just makes you prepared. The world is crazy, and I plan on meeting any crazies with the proper force needed.

(Monroe County)

Because the bad guys are getting younger and I'm getting older.

And because I can, so I will.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmudda View Post
    The title says it all. Why?

Reason I'm asking is that it seems the laws are somewhat against the law abiding citizen if you do get into a confrontation and must pull your firearm. I know pulling a firearm is the absolute last resort, but it's like the kid that gets sucker punched then fights back and he's the one getting in trouble.

Some things just don't make sense when you have to start proving you're innocent, while protecting yourself or someone else. Our laws are crazy!

Why do I carry, I don't. Why, because in my 50 years I have never been in a situation where I have felt threatened enough to have a firearm to feel secure or safe. I have the permit and enough hardware to more than take care of business, but never had to! Thank goodness..........

Let's hear from some others!

Craig
    Your sentiments are not going to be very popular here but I understand and also tend to agree with you. The chances of needing a firearm while out in public, for most people, is so low that it's really not worth wasting brain cells thinking about. That said, I carry when it's feasable, for me that's about 30% of the time because of where I live and work. I can't even say that it's good insurance, it would be like taking out meteorite insurance for most of us.
    I'll just go ahead and say it, when I carry I have a feeling that I'm more in control of my life because I have an option in the off chance I should I need to use it.
    I expect that to change in the future. I think this place will become much more dangerous than it is currently and I don't want to be surprised when it does.
    In addition, I don't trust law enforcement to help me out if I need it. I'm on my own. There's always a peace of mind in being self sufficient, doesn't matter if we are talking about self defense with a firearm or having a home generator or tools in your car. It's a good feeling to know you don't depend on others to show up and help you.
    Last edited by ray h; March 31st, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast