Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a 410

(Lackawanna County)

Default Got a 410

Last night i got an unexpected gift from a friend, a NEF Pardner 410 single shot shot gun, wood grip and fore stock, case hard frame, feels like a solid gun, can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Anyone here have one of these shotguns, what are they like.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Default Re: Got a 410

Well as it is it would do very well with #4 buck as a last ditch defensive option and as a small game getter with birdshot loads.

But if you would like something that can be a multi purpose gun, I would have the barrel trimmed down to 19-18.5 inches, have the front bead reset and use it with larger buck shot, slugs, and the Winchester PDX-1 stuff.

Such would make a dandy little survival shotgun.

Either way you have a good little gun on your hands with a strong action, shoot it and enjoy.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
    Well as it is it would do very well with #4 buck as a last ditch defensive option and as a small game getter with birdshot loads.

But if you would like something that can be a multi purpose gun, I would have the barrel trimmed down to 19-18.5 inches, have the front bead reset and use it with larger buck shot, slugs, and the Winchester PDX-1 stuff.

Such would make a dandy little survival shotgun.

Either way you have a good little gun on your hands with a strong action, shoot it and enjoy.
    Thanks for your reply, i have been looking at cutting down the barrel, it sits at 25.5 inches now, plus i'm thinking of cutting down the stock to resemble the Raptor stock that is made for the Mossberg 500 series shotguns, turn it into a Boom Stick Junior.

I have been checking into OOO Buck, #3,4 Buck and Slugs, but for starters i will go with #4,5,6 shot.

I have a Maverick 88 with a 28 inch barrel that was my sons, i'm looking into getting a 18.5 barrel and a Raptor stock for that, and the funny thing is that i never fired a shotgun of any type in my life, and now with my medical condition i need to start as low recoil as possible, because i will be shooting from a hip level stance, i cannot shoulder any type of long gun.

This should be fun, and doing 2 shotgun build/mods is just what i need.

(Chester County)

I have one I bought for my daughter when she was 12 for shooting clays, and its bigger brother in 20 gauge for my older daughter who was 17 at the time. They were always a bit apprehensive about shooting shotguns until they fired the NEF .410, but are now both quite proficient at shooting moving targets with both models. The single shot ,410 taught them to exercise patience while acquiring the target because it's a one and done deal. After getting the feel for leading moving targets with the NEF single shots they started using a Charles Daily pump for hunting rabbits and pheasant.

(Jefferson County)

They are good guns. The NEF .410 was my 4th personally owned gun. ....after a Remington 77, a NEF 12ga, and a NEF 20ga.

I presently own a NEF 20ga and 28ga.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

It's good to hear that they are a good gun, after i get done with the work on it, maybe i can get the wife and daughter into shooting shotgun.

I have been reading up on these 410s and here in the US they are looked at as kids guns, yet over in Europe they are considered expert guns.

I have been watching vids on you tube about NEF 410s and other makes, at close range with OOO buck, they can make quite a hole, and using cut shells it's even bigger.

Never heard about cut shells until i started viewing vids on shotguns, very nasty if you are on the wrong end of the gun.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    It's good to hear that they are a good gun, after i get done with the work on it, maybe i can get the wife and daughter into shooting shotgun.

I have been reading up on these 410s and here in the US they are looked at as kids guns, yet over in Europe they are considered expert guns.

I have been watching vids on you tube about NEF 410s and other makes, at close range with OOO buck, they can make quite a hole, and using cut shells it's even bigger.

Never heard about cut shells until i started viewing vids on shotguns, very nasty if you are on the wrong end of the gun.
    They are considered expert guns too in some circles in the USA.

If you go to a clay/bird range and a gentleman pulls out a .410 or 28ga, you'll probably will not want to compete against him. A person who intentionally handicaps himself often does it because he needs the challenge. ...with a .410 and its smaller payload and narrower shot column - it does take more skill to do the same things as a person with a 12, 16, or 20 gauge gun.

I wouldn't use cut shells on a .410. They already are rather constrictive. With 00 or 000 buck the shot often gets smushed together, flattening the round balls into cylinder shaped slugs. Which then have have aerodynamic issues due to the lack of rifling.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 1st, 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    They are considered expert guns too in some circles in the USA.

If you go to a clay/bird range and a gentlemen pulls out a .410 or 28ga, you'll probably will not want to compete against him. A person who intentionally handicaps himself often does it because he needs the challenge. ...with a .410 and its smaller payload and narrower shot column - it does take more skill to do the same things as a person with a 12, 16, or 20 gauge gun.

I wouldn't use cut shells on a .410. They already are rather constrictive. With 00 or 000 buck the shot often gets smushed together, flattening the round balls into cylinder shaped slugs. Which then have have aerodynamic issues due to the lack of rifling.
    Thanks for the heads up on the cut shells as related to the 410, i'm new to shotguns and have a lot to learn on both the guns and the shells, my usage will be home defense and fun stuff, milk jugs, soup cans ect., 20/25 yards and under, my shooting will be from hip level, so i need to learn to aim from that position, i'm not looking to put every shot dead center, i just want to be able to hit the target, especially in a HD situation.

Any advice is welcomed, and i am thankful for it.

From what i have been reading, if you have a 410 and either a 12 or 20 ga. shotgun and a 22 rifle and hand gun, you have most of you basic gun needs taken care of.

A .410 can handle a number of tasks rather well.

Take for example last summer, We had a few head of chickens (mostly kept for fresh eggs). a Chicken killing stray happened along (got two of them before I could settle the account).

All it took was my 500E with the full choke barrel, a load of the Federal #4 Buck and the stray didn't dine on chicken anymore ( a headshot at 10 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground)

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
    A .410 can handle a number of tasks rather well.

Take for example last summer, We had a few head of chickens (mostly kept for fresh eggs). a Chicken killing stray happened along (got two of them before I could settle the account).

All it took was my 500E with the full choke barrel, a load of the Federal #4 Buck and the stray didn't dine on chicken anymore ( a headshot at 10 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground)
    I will probably get out to shoot this coming weekend, my daughter picked up a box of #4 shot, 2 1/2 inch shells for me, it should be interesting and if i ever hit anything in the head at 10 yards it would be considered a a once in a lifetime shot. I still have to get to cutting down the barrel and stock, hope to do so this week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast