Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Term Limits Needed

To think, all of the twits bringing this round of gun control legislation are the same braniacs that did it back in 1993-1994. So, basically, 20 years later and it's the same infernal group of liberal Dems driving policy.

Term limits are needed for the House and Senate. I'd say 2 terms for the Senate and 6 for the House. That would be a total of 12 years for each member, should they continue to run. 12 years for either assembly is plenty long enough.

What do you think? While I think they were all for voting on term limits for the President, I doubt they'd ever do so for themselves. Just my opinion, but one can dream, can't they?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Term Limits Needed

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    To think, all of the twits bringing this round of gun control legislation are the same braniacs that did it back in 1993-1994. So, basically, 20 years later and it's the same infernal group of liberal Dems driving policy.

Term limits are needed for the House and Senate. I'd say 2 terms for the Senate and 6 for the House. That would be a total of 12 years for each member, should they continue to run. 12 years for either assembly is plenty long enough.

What do you think? While I think they were all for voting on term limits for the President, I doubt they'd ever do so for themselves. Just my opinion, but one can dream, can't they?
    We have term limits, they are the elections. The problem is sometimes they don't work out in our favor for various reasons. We just need to get as many people as possible out to vote.

(Crawford County)

I think term limits are an absolute must to maintain the freedoms of the nation. For too long the same idiots get elected due to a basic sense of laziness amongst the general population.

Let's face it, only about half of the qualified voting public even bothers to register, and what? About a quarter of those actually show up to pull a lever? And of the ones who do actually show up, how many pay any attention to the political choices and make a conscious decision as opposed to voting a straight party ticket because "My daddy was a Democrat/Republican so that's how I'll vote."

Since far too many people view voting as a right and not a responsibility, implementing term limits across the legislature would prevent idiots like Feinstein, Reid, Boehner, and Pelosi from calcifying in their offices and developing the belief that they are somehow "better" than the people they pretend to represent.

The office of the President is currently limited to two terms. That's enough. Let Congress also be limited to two terms in office. Then we will stand a chance at maintaining a steady flow of fresh ideas, and possibly get younger representatives who are more in touch with the issues facing this country. We have far too many old people in control of issues that to my mind are none of the business of the government.

Of what concern is it to the government who I choose to marry? This is an issue being hotly debated by a government made up of people who hold on to the belief that homosexuality is inherently wrong. Yet American culture, particularly the younger members of American culture (teens, twenty- and thirty-somethings) generally don't care what an individual's sexuality is.

Of what concern is it to the government whether a woman chooses to have an abortion? Wouldn't that be something that would best be settled between the woman, her partner, and her doctor? And MAYBE her religious leader if appropriate to her? I bet if I were to ask around, I'd find a lot of people in my own generation who do not feel the government should be involved in this issue, either.

Yet there are a huge number of people in our government who are focused upon these social issues rather than the financial issues they SHOULD be focused on, like getting the country out of debt (since I don't actually WANT to work until three weeks after I'm officially dead to pay for more government overspending). To paraphrase Jesus "Render unto society those issues that society should decide, and render unto government those issues government should decide."
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

plus they dont get any type of pensions, just a 401k like the rest of us Americans have...

(Bucks County)

Count me in for term limits, no one should be there for life
    Jesus is Lord !

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    We have term limits, they are the elections.
    And we see how well that's working out. The power of incumbency is tremendous, and presents a terribly unlevel playing field. Congress should have term limits for the same reason as the president, governors in most states and most other offices. Ruling over citizens should not be a permanent job. And because the positions should be temporary, they should not be accompanied by taxpayer-funded lavish retirement packages.

NO!!

First, end gerrymandering.

Second, limit lobbyists. Lobbyists should be barred from becoming Congressmembers or staff, and vice versa.

Term limits would only serve to further enhance the power of the special interests, national parties, and lobbyists - the opposite of what we need.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    NO!!

First, end gerrymandering.

Second, limit lobbyists. Lobbyists should be barred from becoming Congressmembers or staff, and vice versa.

Term limits would only serve to further enhance the power of the special interests, national parties, and lobbyists - the opposite of what we need.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    Defend your position please.

I agree that lobbyists need to be limited, but how do term limits increase lobbyist powers? Without term limits, lobbyists would have to work that much harder and spend that much more money to have any where near the amount of power they have today.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    plus they dont get any type of pensions, just a 401k like the rest of us Americans have...

And they should pay SS and this fucking Obamacare too.

(Chester County)

They tried to use term limits in 1990's at the state level with 23 states setting term limits for their US Representatives to Congress. It was overturned by the Supreme Court as being unconstitutional in U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-1456.ZO.html

The only way Term Limits will become law is to amend the Constitution.

Who said this in 1787 on why term limits were rejected at the Constitutional Covention?

"[A] few of the members of Congress will possess superior talents; will by frequent re-elections, become members of long standing; will be thoroughly masters of the public business, and perhaps not unwilling to avail themselves of those advantages. The greater the proportion of new members of Congress, and the less the information of the bulk of the members, the more apt they be to fall into the snares that may be laid before them,"
    V V V V

James Madison in Federalist Papers 53
    Last edited by JenniferG; March 31st, 2013 at 01:15 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast