Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default One of my guns was stolen tonight

My Sig p226 was stolen out of my Jeep tonight. They took the gun right out of my glove compartment, no magazine. Called local PD, get the usual run around about whether or not i may have "misplaced" it somewhere (because it's normal to just misplace firearms.) Now i just sit here staring at an empty box that use to contain one of my favorite guns that had allot of sentimental value to me wondering what to say or do, nothing else from my vehicle was missing, not my gps, ipod, nothing. I have this really bad feeling at the bottom of my stomach of what some sick F*** might use it for.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

(York County)

Default Re: One of my guns was stolen tonight

Sorry to hear it.

I've had 2 of my cars broken into years ago (no firearms stolen) and I know just how quickly and easily it can be done. So when I started carrying I made a commitment to myself that I would never leave my firearm in the car. I just figured I would start there and see what kinds of issues I would have in keeping that promise.

Maybe it's just because I'm older and life is not as hectic as it was when all the kids were here, I dunno. It hasn't been any inconvenience at all. If my gun can't go, I don't go. I don't care what you bolt it to, they'll steal your whole car just to get the gun, and they'll do it in less time than it takes you to piss at the gas station.

I hope this is the last time you have to experience this. Not an easy thing to post about, but it needs discussing, and I'm glad you posted this.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 29th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Wayne County)

That f@#$ing sucks. Make sure you contact the ATF....

Upon discovery of any theft or loss of any of your firearms:

First, call your local law enforcement agency to report the theft or loss. Contacting the local law enforcement authorities is essential to the quick recovery of firearms taken in a crime. If the firearms are unaccounted for during inventory, you should make it clear to the authorities that there is no evidence of a crime and that the disposition of these firearms is unknown and may stem from a record keeping error.
    Second, call the ATF’s Stolen Firearms Program Manager toll free at 1-888-930-9275. They can also assist in the preparation of the Theft / Loss Report for submission. ATF will work with the local law enforcement authorities investigating the theft.
    Third, complete the report form (ATF Form 3310.11) and attach any continuation sheets necessary (ATF Form 3310.11A) and mail it to ATF’s National Tracing Center. Be sure to submit the original form(s) to ATF and retain copies for your records.

Make sure to get ahold of all the stores around here. Chances are they may try to hock it and may be dumb enough to do it soon and locally.......

French Creek Outfitters
    (610) 933-7200

Insite Firearms
    (610) 630-7468

Federal Gold Exchange Pottstown
    610-323-6700

East Coast Ammo
    484-949-2235

Pachellas
    (610) 367-6126

some places I can think of off the top of my head that accept used Firearms in the area. Im local to you if you are in Pville, if you need help canvasing or informing shops let me know.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; March 29th, 2013 at 02:55 AM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    Upon discovery of any theft or loss of any of your firearms:

First, call your local law enforcement agency to report the theft or loss. Contacting the local law enforcement authorities is essential to the quick recovery of firearms taken in a crime. If the firearms are unaccounted for during inventory, you should make it clear to the authorities that there is no evidence of a crime and that the disposition of these firearms is unknown and may stem from a record keeping error.
    Second, call the ATF’s Stolen Firearms Program Manager toll free at 1-888-930-9275. They can also assist in the preparation of the Theft / Loss Report for submission. ATF will work with the local law enforcement authorities investigating the theft.
    Third, complete the report form (ATF Form 3310.11) and attach any continuation sheets necessary (ATF Form 3310.11A) and mail it to ATF’s National Tracing Center. Be sure to submit the original form(s) to ATF and retain copies for your records.

Make sure to get ahold of all the stores around here. Chances are they may try to hock it and may be dumb enough to do it soon and locally.......

French Creek Outfitters
    (610) 933-7200

Insite Firearms
    (610) 630-7468

Federal Gold Exchange Pottstown
    610-323-6700

East Coast Ammo
    484-949-2235

Pachellas
    (610) 367-6126

some places I can think of off the top of my head that accept used Firearms in the area. Im local to you if you are in Pville, if you need help canvasing or informing shops let me know.
    I planned on doing this as soon as i woke up, would it be a good idea to ask them if anyone came by looking to purchase a magazine for a 226? Or is that the wrong thing to ask?
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

(Wayne County)

Well that may be tough, but I guess someone selling one with your serial number and description without a magazine could be a red flag........
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    Well that may be tough, but I guess someone selling one with your serial number and description without a magazine could be a red flag........
    It's more than likely the sale of this firearm will not be done with an FFL.

Obviously to prevent this we need to strengthen the background check system.

OP, sorry for your experience.

(Westmoreland County)

Not saying the OP did anything wrong or out of the way but this occurred to me. Just for consideration and discussion is it possible that someone might watch us especially if we OC and target our vehicles or our homes even, in case there might be an accessible firearm inside? I'm not saying to stop carrying or making severe changes to our habits but maybe we must be overly aware or cautious about storeage of our firearms especially in our vehicles to try to prevent others being able to steal them. It might be an additional burden of responsibility we need to shoulder. Just something to discuss.

(Lebanon County)

That sucks! It is for this reason that I have been considering installing a lock box inside my Jeep. Not simply screwing it to a piece of plastic but rather bolting it to the floor.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Berks County)

Not bashing, just curious as the why the gun was in your jeep and not on you?

(Berks County)

$25 Gun lock boxes with steel cable at cabelas right now. I have one steel cabled around the leg of the seat in my car. Never the glove box.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast