Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Any GLOCK-PROs out there...

I'm looking for educated opinions/advice.
    I have a GLOCK 23 (.40) and have been considering a 357 Sig conversion. I have read conflicting articles stating that all you need to do is drop-in a new 357 barrel.
    Others say that you must have a 3rd-gen pistol or the frame is too weak to handle the stress.
    I cannot find a description of the differences between the generations, nor have I been able to determine what generation mine is. (Mine does have the rail in front of the trigger guard and finger grooves on the grip)
    I have been to the Glockmeister website and used their serial number/date lookup tool and for some reason mine is not listed as viable series...
    Mine is EWMxxxUS, the closest they list is EWL (which dates the pistol at 6/2002).
    Any info from you Glocksters out there is appreciated.
    Last edited by NI4NI; December 31st, 2006 at 01:29 AM.

Default Re: Any GLOCK-PROs out there...

If you have the rail you have a newer frame. The Gen 1 did not have the rail. Does your G23 have the finger grooves on the frame? If it does, all you need to do is buy a 357Sig barrel and you are good to go. You use the same mags for 40/357Sig.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    If you have the rail you have a newer frame. The Gen 1 did not have the rail. Does your G23 have the finger grooves on the frame? If it does, all you need to do is buy a 357Sig barrel and you are good to go. You use the same mags for 40/357Sig.
    You're correct and incorrect at the same time. There are NO first generation Glock 23s. The first generation doesn't have the grenade grip - there are many G17s and very few G19s in the US that are first gen.

Second gen is the grenade grip, no rails and no finger grooves.

There were some gen 2.5 G20s and G21s - finger grooves, but no rails.

3rd gen is finger grooves AND rails.

The OP's G23 is good to go for 357Sig (you are correct). Drop in a barrel (I recommend factory Glock barrels), and you're good to go. Like Aubie said, mags are the same, as are all internal parts (ejector, extractor, etc.). So yes, drop in a barrel and go for it.

Just to be precise, the description of gens does not include, for example, the G26 and 27 and 33, as they don't have rails.

The only concern is switching a SECOND gen 22 or 23 - you need to contact Glock and see if your Gen 2 G22 or G23 has the shorter or longer slide rails. Glock does not recommend shooting 357Sig in older 2nd gen .40s that have the shorter rails.

I've been a Glock armorer since the early 1990s - I'm certain on the info posted above.

To the OP, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Guys, I'll start looking for that new 357Sig barrel.

(Lackawanna County)

you can drop a 9mm barrel in that thing and shoot 9's too.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DanV1317 View Post
    you can drop a 9mm barrel in that thing and shoot 9's too.
    What about the fact that the breech face is a different size?

And don't you have to change the extractor and magazines?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    What about the fact that the breech face is a different size?

And don't you have to change the extractor and magazines?
    Not sure about the extractor but yes the magazine will need to be changed for 9mm and I think you can buy 9mm barrel that fits the breech face for the G23.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    Not sure about the extractor but yes the magazine will need to be changed for 9mm and I think you can buy 9mm barrel that fits the breech face for the G23.
    I have both a G23 and G17 at home. I may have to play around a bit this evening. In the meantime, I do seem to recall that the extractor should be replaced. There are rumors of people who skipped this step and have functional pistols, but you might as well do it right. Also... I believe the ejector needs to be replaced as well. The .40 piece is straight. The 9mm piece is angled. Again, there are rumors that you can get away without it, but I wouldn't suggest that.

On the flip side, I believe that the breech face thing is not an issue. The barrel from one should lock up tightly in the other. Right now, however, I have no empirical evidence to support this.