Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Somewhere to shoot

I am new to the forum and fairly new to PA having moved here in 2005. I am trying to find somewhere to shoot, rifle and pistol, convenient to Donegal. I have bad knees and don't get around well but have a scooter that helps a lot. I am also interested in possibly shooting .22LR competitively if it isn't too formal.
    Any suggestions?

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Somewhere to shoot

I always use the state range in Dunbar PA (Fayette county). I kow that its not far from Westmorland county.

It cost $30 a year and you can shoot at any PA state range and bring one guest.

The range at dunbar might not be good if you have to use a scooter, but check the PA DNR website to fine a state range near you and you ay find one where you can use a scooter.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Westmoreland County)

A&S indoor pistol range can accomodate your scooter, and you can shoot all pistols and rifles in pistol calibers (22, 357, 9, 45, etc). It's in Youngwood, about 20 min from Dunbar.
    724-925-1212

What have you tried so far Rick, have you contacted the local farmers and land owners yet?
    Allen123

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnson33445 View Post
    What have you tried so far Rick, have you contacted the local farmers and land owners yet?
    I've tried a few including my FIL but they are busy raising corn or hay and only have crop dependent areas to shoot. Thanks for the suggestions I look forward to trying out A&S.

Smile Re: Somewhere to shoot

Here is some good advice,When I was 20 or so In N Y there was difficulty finding places othe than SGLs.I made a point in the summer to visit some farms and ask to hunt for the fall and offered to do some chores,help with anything ,I made some great friendships that way and always had a hunting place that was not crowded.Christmas time was always remembered with a card and a visit off season. I do this practice with people who want to hunt my 15 acres,I figure if they are willing to help they will also be respectful of my property.Presently we have enough hunters now every year without overcrowding and 80% success rate. Good Luck !

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Here is some good advice,When I was 20 or so In N Y there was difficulty finding places othe than SGLs.I made a point in the summer to visit some farms and ask to hunt for the fall and offered to do some chores,help with anything ,I made some great friendships that way and always had a hunting place that was not crowded.Christmas time was always remembered with a card and a visit off season. I do this practice with people who want to hunt my 15 acres,I figure if they are willing to help they will also be respectful of my property.Presently we have enough hunters now every year without overcrowding and 80% success rate. Good Luck !
    That sounds like a great plan. I'll have to keep that in mind whenever I can get enough land to shoot on and can ditch the riffraff at the SGL ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    That sounds like a great plan. I'll have to keep that in mind whenever I can get enough land to shoot on and can ditch the riffraff at the SGL ranges.
    I got my land thru tax sales and paid,now sit down for this $800,and the land backs to a remote access SGL,just watch those tax sales and good luck !

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    I got my land thru tax sales and paid,now sit down for this $800,and the land backs to a remote access SGL,just watch those tax sales and good luck !
    Wanna double your money?

I'm sitting tight right now. We just bought a house in April, but I'm keeping my eye on land toward Scranton. I'm going to school for accounting and Scranton seems to be the region's financial hub.