Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Most versatile hunting caliber?

You over looked one of the best all around caliber rifles. For everything you wanna do I'd go with a 6mm. Very flat shooting gun. Shoot 400 yards easy with plenty of stopping power for deer,bear. I even brought my. 6 mm to Canada to hunt caribou.

I personally shoot a .308 as a dedicated Deer rifle, and plan to use for elk at some point, but if I were to consolidate to one gun to use for deer, varmints, fox, coyote, etc. It would be a .243 hands down.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990dtgl98 View Post
    So here's a hypothetical (since the wife will only let me get one hunting rifle which will also be my first) :

Let's say you could only have one rifle to hunt with. And you had a .22 already for the very small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc). But you wanted something that you could hunt deer with, as well as smaller varmint like coons, groundhogs etc.

Most of the shooting you'll be doing with deer is in the woods within 300yards. Most of the shooting for those pesky groundhogs would be across a 150 yard field. You'd also like something that could eventuallu be used for other game (though that's a few years away).

You also plan on using it for target shooting at the range (and that will account for probably 50% of what you shoot from the rifle.

You don't reload but eventually want to... But for now you need to keep prices down.

What would be the caliber you reach for? (aka- what caliber should I get?!?!?)

Would it be. 243, 7mm-08,. 308? Or maybe a long action . 25-06, . 270, or 30-06.?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.... As an FYI, I'm leaning toward 7mm-08.
    We have ranged far from the original question. Deer / Varmint = .243/.6mm/.25-06 . Anything in North America = .338 Mag

(Washington County)

Since the bulk will be range time, look at a 6.5 Creedmoor. Match ammo is much cheaper from Hornady than most calibers. It was also available (here anyway) during the whole panic. 6.5 is a great hunting caliber with very nice BC/SD. LOTS of moose and other big game taken with a 6.5x55.

Based on Hornady factoy ammo, with a 120gr GMX, x55 has 2850 MV and 6.5CM has 3000 ft/s MV.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567