Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Question about cross bolt safeties???

Many of the newer lever action rifles have cross bolt safeties.

I have one question.

Do the safeties automatically engage everytime the operator cranks the lever?

Or, when the safe is disengaged can you shoot, pull the level; shoot, pull the lever, etc., without disengaging the safety each time?

People don't seem to like them. Is that just because they are "ugly"?

I would appreciate hearing from people who have experience with these things.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Question about cross bolt safeties???

No, the safety does not automatically engage when you crank the lever. If it's off when you crank the lever, it stays off. If it's on it stays on. This all happens regardless of weather you pulled the trigger or not. The operation of the safety is not connected to the operation of the lever or the trigger.

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't mind the hammer block safety. Every Marlin lever action I've owned has come with one. I guess I might disapprove of them more if my original rifle didn't have one. I only use it when I'm loading or unloading though. Once I'm loaded up, the hammer goes to half cock and the safety comes off. I trained myself that way because I think it's easier to cock the hammer to get ready for a shot than it is to click off the safety. When it's time to unload, the safety goes on and I crank the lever until the gun is empty.

The people that don't like them are the ones that missed deer when they took a shot when they forgot their safety was was on and the rifle went CLICK instead of BANG. I've heard tons of those stories where the hunter either forgot the safety was on or the rifle got bumped and put the safety on when they were climing in or out of the stand or walking around. To avoid this, I check my rifle every few minutes to make sure the hammer is at half cock and the safety is off.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    No, the safety does not automatically engage when you crank the lever. If it's off when you crank the lever, it stays off. If it's on it stays on. This all happens regardless of weather you pulled the trigger or not. The operation of the safety is not connected to the operation of the lever or the trigger.

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't mind the hammer block safety. Every Marlin lever action I've owned has come with one. I guess I might disapprove of them more if my original rifle didn't have one. I only use it when I'm loading or unloading though. Once I'm loaded up, the hammer goes to half cock and the safety comes off. I trained myself that way because I think it's easier to cock the hammer to get ready for a shot than it is to click off the safety. When it's time to unload, the safety goes on and I crank the lever until the gun is empty.

The people that don't like them are the ones that missed deer when they took a shot when they forgot their safety was was on and the rifle went CLICK instead of BANG. I've heard tons of those stories where the hunter either forgot the safety was on or the rifle got bumped and put the safety on when they were climing in or out of the stand or walking around. To avoid this, I check my rifle every few minutes to make sure the hammer is at half cock and the safety is off.

Thanks Karys - can I ask two follow-up questions? (didn't think of them before)

I have heard that lever action rifles with cross-bolt safeties do not have 1/2 cock positions. Would that just be true of Winchesters?

Also, I gather from what you say that a lever action rifle can be unloaded by cycling the lever without fear of firing if the cross-bolt safety is engaged. Is that right?

Thanks so much for your help!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I have heard that lever action rifles with cross-bolt safeties do not have 1/2 cock positions. Would that just be true of Winchesters?
    I have no idea. I've always been a Marlin guy and I've never owned a Winchester. Both of my Marlins have safeties and the hammers on both of them can be put in the half cock position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Also, I gather from what you say that a lever action rifle can be unloaded by cycling the lever without fear of firing if the cross-bolt safety is engaged. Is that right?
    That's the way I do it. Mind you, all of the safe gun handling rules still apply. The rifle still has to be pointed in a safe direction and you still have to keep your finger off the trigger. A safety is a mechanical device that can fail at any time for any number of reasons.

Personally I wouldn't own a lever gun with a crossbolt safety. They make a kit to remove the crossbolt from Marlins. Once removed it just looks like it has an extra screw in the side of the reciever. I know the crossbolt on Rossi's can be removed but they require a little cosmetic work to remove the F&S