Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ammo storage

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Ammo storage

I've had my ammo laying around the basement floor in cans, and was watching Craigslist for a cheap steel cabinet to store it in. Then I saw an ad for a sale at a painting contractor that went out of business. I bought a flammable storage safety cabinet for my ammo, powder & primers. Now I have the Cadillac of ammo storage cabinets. I'm going to buy two more shelves for it; of course, that will just make me want to buy more ammo.

Just wondering - how do yinz all store your ammo?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ammo storage

That is sweet,I would love to get my hands on one of them. if you don't mind what did you pay.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by spentshells2 View Post
    That is sweet,I would love to get my hands on one of them. if you don't mind what did you pay.
    $350. They normally sell for more than twice that, plus tax & shipping. It was a splurge. A cheap steel storage cabinet probably would have cost $200.

(York County)

Very nice. I see a lot of them around work and looked into getting one for the same reason until I priced them.

(Lancaster County)

Silly me, I was looking at one of them to put in my garage to store chemicals.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Very nice I will be on the lookout now for one. I did just pick up one of those old 1950 metal (tin) cabinets was going use that to free up room in the safe.

That's a great idea. I've always thought they would be good for storing powder. We use them heavily in the military so I have seen all sizes up to one the size of a walk in freezer.

At my last position I bought two of them for our warehouse. Many of the ones I looked at WERE NOT fire proof. They are designed to withstand an internal blast if aerosol cans cook off or flam liquids ignite. If you look close most of them are not fire lined nor do they have sealing doors. Bottom line if the fire lasts long enough ammo could cook off; however, the chance of a round penetrating and exiting is probably zero.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    That's a great idea. I've always thought they would be good for storing powder. We use them heavily in the military so I have seen all sizes up to one the size of a walk in freezer.

At my last position I bought two of them for our warehouse. Many of the ones I looked at WERE NOT fire proof. They are designed to withstand an internal blast if aerosol cans cook off or flam liquids ignite. If you look close most of them are not fire lined nor do they have sealing doors. Bottom line if the fire lasts long enough ammo could cook off; however, the chance of a round penetrating and exiting is probably zero.
    You're right; it's not fireproof or sealed, but it does have double walls all around. Rounds popping off in a fire aren't dangerous, but firemen might stay back if they hear rounds going off. I'm hoping that the cans and the cabinet would protect everything long enough for the firemen to get control of a fire. If the fire got big enough to start setting off the ammo inside, the house would probably be gone by that time anyway.

(Butler County)

I never thought to check eBay. Looks like I got a pretty good deal; some of the prices seem high. Grainger sells my cabinet for $1500. I imagine some of these companies bought from supply houses like Grainger, not realizing they could get them for half the price, and now want top dollar.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Industrial-S...50&_fpos=17101

Here's one in Oxford for $360 that looks like a walk-in! Streaker, that looks more your size.