http://beavercountian.com/content/op...george-j-david

Editorial: Presenting Sheriff George J. David

By John Paul - Founder of BeaverCountian.com

Published on March 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

Note: Beaver County Sheriff George David has just been arrested by the Pennsylvania State Police, and was led from the courthouse in handcuffs.

“Sometimes people think we’re Superman, that we can put on a red cape and just fly in and make everything ok,” I remember Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Joseph Olayer saying to me. “You need to know that we’re not, but we’ll still try. We’ll do our best.”

Not long before I had been in the basement of the courthouse, terrified as the elected Sheriff of Beaver County pulled out his service weapon and began threatening murder. Two of his deputies were there with him, but they would later deny the events that unfolded. It would be my word against three men who were now hiding behind their badges. I have never felt more helpless.

It has been almost a year since that night.

We as a society rightfully praise as heroes the officer who runs into a school under siege by an active shooter. But while heroism is regularly celebrated, something just as important is often left unrecognized… dedication.

Over the past year I have seen that dedication in Corporal Joseph Olayer and his partner Corporal Daniel Mosura. Day after day, week after week, month after month, they have been working tirelessly to reveal the truth of what happened to me that afternoon, and of what has happened to so many others.

It is because of their efforts, I will be one of the last that George J. David has terrorized. Small town politics and cronies with big time influence had blanketed his misdeeds from view for far too long. It makes me physically ill when I think of how many he has hurt over his 40 year career, abusing both power and persons to achieve his own self-interests.

I am thankful for Corporals Olayer and Mosura, and we should all be thankful for the dedicated men and women like them — strangers who step in front of us when danger arises, who encourage us to follow behind until our journey becomes safe once again.

- JP

photo George D. David at swearing in ceremony / Beaver Countian file photo

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...eorge-d/nW3p4/

State police arrest Beaver County Sheriff George David on 11 charges

1 7 1 51

Related

View Larger

Photo courtesy of TribLIVE

Beaver County Sheriff George David

Sponsored Links

Get a low 2.99% APR* Fixed Rate Home Refi Loan

Support Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

BEAVER COUNTY, Pa. —

State police arrested Beaver County Sheriff George David on Monday on 11 misdemeanor charges including terroristic threats, simple assault, official oppression and intimidation of witnesses.

David, 65, of Hopewell, was under investigation by a state grand jury for several months.

According to Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane, a grand jury was told that David threatened a campaign volunteer saying he would, "cut [the man's] hands off and eat them."

Kane said David also threatened a newspaper reporter in front of witnesses, waved a gun at him and said he would, "blow [his] brains out."

The Grand Jury was told that David threatened a campaign volunteer, saying he would “cut (the man’s) hands off and eat them.” He also threatened a newspaper reporter in front of witnesses, waving a gun and saying he would “blow (his) brains out.”

“It’s not enough for law officers to simply abide by the law. They must also set a good example for others,” said Kane. “Sheriff David failed on both counts. He will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

Police said David is scheduled to be arraigned before District Judge Tim Finn Monday afternoon. Police took him from the Beaver County Courthouse to state police barracks in Brighton