Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Carry gun for outdoor recreation?

Morning Guys,

I'm looking for some input on a secondary carry piece for use while hiking, fishing, fly fishing, hunting, and basically just doing everything outdoors. It will also serve a second duty which is as a secondary conceal piece when my primary just won't cut it.

my primary carry is an H&K USP 40 but its way to big (and pretty) to work effectively for what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping to spend less then 400.00 on it as it will basically be a "beat up" gun, one I'm not worried about getting a little wet on occasion or covered in sweat while hiking / camping. Carry positions will vary from middle of the back to pockets to backpack to fannypack... etc. Basically whatever fits what I need for the activity being done, so size is cruical

I've been looking at the Taurus line, Kel tec, and some other random used guns. I'd like to go with a 9 due to recoil on such a small piece, I'd prefer an auto over a wheel gun.

Any suggestions?

(Huntingdon County)

Default Re: Carry gun for outdoor recreation?

Well you mentioned keltec, they would be a fine one to have.

I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma in 9mm and it isn't too bad size wise, and it is right in your price range.

(Bucks County)

I'd recommend a Glock 26 but they may be a little out of your price range. You could find a good used one at that price.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog02 View Post
    Well you mentioned keltec, they would be a fine one to have.

I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma in 9mm and it isn't too bad size wise, and it is right in your price range.
    I think the Sigma would be a little big for what I'm looking for... the Sigma is only about 1/2 an inch shorter then my USP and 1/4 of an inch thinner... I'm thinking I need something smaller then that. Thanks for the suggestion though...

there isn't a Sigma Compact out there is there? I wasn't able to find one but if there is one that may fit the bill perfectly.

The Glock 26 would be an excellent option but they are a bit higher then I wanted to spend, looks like they are going for close to 500 and I wanted to keep it under 4 (before holster of course).

How do the Glocks like water? I'd assume since they are basically plastic that there would be no issue with getting them wet and I'd have more worries about the ammo then the gun

(Allegheny County)

i would recommend at least 10mm/.357 mag for carrying in the woods.

animals are much tougher than humans. you need much more penetration.

if you go shooting a bear with a 9mm, it's prolly only gonna piss him off.

i carry a 9mm generally, but switch to 10mm (loaded with double-tap beartooth ammo) if i am going out in the woods.

just my 2 cents.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    How do the Glocks like water? I'd assume since they are basically plastic that there would be no issue with getting them wet and I'd have more worries about the ammo then the gun
    glocks are impervious to water. much of the gun is plastic, and the metal parts are given a treatment called "tennifer" that makes them nearly rust-proof.

it's one of the reasons i think the glock 20 (10mm) is the perfect woods gun for around here. (if you are in grizzly country, though, the perfect woods gun is nothing short of a 12 gauge loaded with slugs.)

(Monroe County)

If I see a grizzly where I'm hiking I've either crossed over into a zoo or shouldn't have eaten those mushrooms

The only woods critters that would worry me would be Coyotes and dogs... and a 9 should tear them up pretty good, and additional rounds would help. Possibly black bears but they normally aren't to aggressive unless you push them or are being stupid

I'm much more concerned about the 2 legged woodland creatures that think because there aren't houses around that it would be a good place to hide, cook meth, or grow "crops".

I like the idea of "waterproof"... maybe I'll have to look into waiting another few weeks and forking out the extra cash. I also like the all black. less chance to reflect sun and get people interested in the event that it becomes exposed

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I like the idea of "waterproof"... maybe I'll have to look into waiting another few weeks and forking out the extra cash. I also like the all black. less chance to reflect sun and get people interested in the event that it becomes exposed
    you might want to consider a used glock if you decide you want a glock and don't want to spend the money for a new one.

glocks really are nearly indestructable, so buying a used one is generally not an issue. even if the previous owner abused it, it will still run like a champ.

(Northampton County)

My woods gun is also a G20. It's loaded with Buffalobore heavy 10mm...180gr dot at 1330fps. I've cronoed this load out of my G20 with a Lone Wolf barrel. Doubletap also makes great 10mm ammo. There's nothing in this region on 4 legs (or 2)that load won't effectively deal with. That power comes with 15 + 1 capacity.

If you like wheelguns.....I have on layaway at Boyer's hardware in Slatington...a S&W 386sc Mountain Lite. It's a 3" barrel,7 shot cylinder,L frame 357mag. It's scandium/titianium & weighs 19 oz empty.

If you don't mind weight & want to save some $$ & have softer recoil.....a Ruger GP 100 would also fit the bill. Buffalobore heavy 357mag (they have different bullet weights) kicks ass but is only for use in steel guns. Since the GP 100 is built like a tank there would be no problem.

(Allegheny County)

I bought a used Glock G26 for $399. It's a great little 9mm (holds 10+1) and shoots well with no malfunctions. I don't know where your camping/hiking but beware of State Parks and the laws regarding firearms.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast