Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Angry Approved for Licence to carry!

Hi all, New here.
    I have a question regarding the PICS check. Before i went out to purchase a gun i applied for a Concealed carry permit in Allegheny County. I was approved for the permit with no issues at all. I went down and got my picture taken and paid for the permit. I now have the permit to carry. My problem is i went out to buy a gun and got denied by PICS. I sent in my challenge form and there is a charge from a long time ago that they keep giving me the run around about. (first it was one type of charge, now its a different charge). I called the sheriffs office and they told me that they run the same check for both. Buying a gun or applying for a permit. So what do i do now? who dropped the ball here and can i get anyone in trouble. Thanks in advance.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Approved for Licence to carry!

How does that work (or doesn't in this case)? if they use the same system, so why the two different results?

(Allegheny County)

Thats what im trying to figure out. So am i allowed to carry a family members legal weapon, since i have the cc permit?

(York County)

Usually we hear about these things going the other way. There are qualifiers or prohibitors that deny a person their LTCF yet they are still able to legally buy a gun. The LTCF is "harder" to get, so to speak.

This is the clue, not that someone has done something wrong, but that there may be an issue somewhere in your record that can be cleared up with a little research. The PA State Police are supposed to send you a letter with some more specific info, and you can challenge the decision, but it makes sense to clear things up prior to the challenge, even more so if you know there is something from your past that is triggering all this.

EDIT: I see the part I missed, who is "giving you the run around"?
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 24th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrompa2000 View Post
    Thats what im trying to figure out. So am i allowed to carry a family members legal weapon, since i have the cc permit?

In a word, yes.

Here are more words...

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...ms-prohibited/

18 Pa.C.S. § 6115: Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited

(a) Offense defined.-- No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).

(Allegheny County)

The challenge unit are the ones giving the run around. When i first challenged they said i had a charge but there was no plea. Now there is a whole different charge with no ss#, But my name. So now i have to get fingerprinted to see if they match. The charges where from 1979 so i am not sure what the pleas were or if they are even really me. I just dont understand how i am allowed to carry but not able to purchase.
    JL

(York County)

How it happened is a matter of pure speculation until more facts are known. There are just too many possible explanations.

For the time being, and until this gets resolved, it is probably in your best interests to stay away from any guns or ammo. Based on what little detail you have provided so far there is a remote possibility that you are prohibited and your background check failed to reveal it during your gun purchase.

I'll stress again that this is a remote possibility, understand I don't know you or your situation or your history. The concern is that your problems magnify exponentially should you be discovered to be prohibited and found to be in possession of guns or ammo. Take a breather and get this resolved. I'm sure it sucks but I think you'll be able to get to the bottom of this soon enough.

Look yourself up here and see what comes up:
    http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CP.aspx

(Montgomery County)

To the OP: I understand maybe not knowing the level of the charge and/or if it was actually prohibiting, but you indicated you're not sure if the 1979 charges were even you. I'm curious, how do you not know if you were convicted of a crime?
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    To the OP: I understand maybe not knowing the level of the charge and/or if it was actually prohibiting, but you indicated you're not sure if the 1979 charges were even you. I'm curious, how do you not know if you were convicted of a crime?

We had a customer fail his PICS a couple years back.

The guy was a friend and was in his late 60's.
    He hadn't bought a gun over the counter in ages, he finally decided to upgrade from the only handgun he had ever owned, a S&W .38.

So he fails his PICS, then challenges it.

Seems he was charged with breaking and entering in MA in the mid 70's.

Well, OK, so he was charged and plead out on a B&E but here's the funny thing, he was stationed in CA at the time.

After it was all figured out it was determined that one of the guys in his unit was back home on leave and used his name when he got arrested.
    He was drunk and the powers that be let him off with the two days served since he had to be back in CA.
    The guy only had 6 months left in and apparently didn't want to get booted out.

So there is one way that shows how you can be convicted without knowing it.
    I'm sure the guy I know can't be the only person that ever happened to considering the technology at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast