Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default M&P9 Mag Needed for IDPA

Hey Guys,

I would really like to get into IDPA, a match is coming up in two weeks. Problems is, I only have two mags and Ive been told you should have 3 or 4, but can def work it with 3. As you all know, there no where to be purchased at this time. I am not asking for charity, I was just hoping somebody had an extra one they would let go for a good cause.

Additionally, if you IDPA guys know a way I can just use the two, that would be appreciated too. Let me know and thanks for the help.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: M&P9 Mag Needed for IDPA

where are you competing? I have only ever shot IDPA 4-5 times and I can only ever remember going for my 3 mag once on one station. People are usually really nice and you have a common gun, go to the match and I am sure someone will let you borrow one if its even necessary. One guy shoots at a time, you can even share one!
    good luck

(Dauphin County)

Factoryville Sportsman Club. Ive never been to an IDPA match but im going to bite the bullet and do the next one. Ive heard nothing but good things about IDPA. I just want to have the proper gear, and if I can def do it with two mags thats fine with me. Just thought Id throw a flag up and see if anyone wanted to get rid of one. I know there like platinum now. When all this craziness dies down, ill be sure to stack em deep.

(Chester County)

Since you are shooting an M&P 9, your mags will be loaded with 10 rounds, except the first mag which has 11. So, with just 2 mags, you'll have 21 rounds. It is rare for an IDPA stage to require more than 14-16 rounds. I'm not saying there aren't any, just very rare.

So, as long as you don't take more than 5 or so "makeup" shots, you'll be fine. By "makeup", I mean that usually you just need 2 rounds in a target (or possibly more if the stage requires it), but maybe you feel/see a shot missed, so you take an extra shot on the target.

In the 3-4 years that I have been shooting IDPA, the only times I've ever went to the 3rd mag is during a classifier (good to have 5-6 mags for classifiers) and for a reshoot of a stage that had to be reset because a moving target didn't move and I didn't take time to reload.

So, yes it is good peace of mind to have 3 mags, but definitely not required. Don't let having only 2 mags stop you from going out and having some fun. Take your time and get your hits. Speed will come with practice.

IDPA stages are limited to a maximum of 18 rounds. However, that does not mean you won't need a third mag. Not just for make-up shots, but because some COF's will designate a mandatory reload (reload with retention).

Borrowing a mag from someone may be a very real option. If you don't know someone personally, you may want to contact the MD and see if they know someone willing to lend or share a mag.

IDPA is great fun. Just shot at a monster match, at Easton, yesterday - Twelve 18-round stages for a total of 216 rounds. Took us 7 hours to complete the match. This was certainly the exception, not the rule. Most IDPA matches will run between 4 and 8 stages with varying round counts.

Here is a great resource...

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

Have fun, but above all be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

Thanks guys, sounds like two mags will be ok, im glad to hear this. I think I am a decent shot so hopefully not many follow up shots or anything like that. I am still def going to go and enjoy it. That sounds like a monster match, was there prize money or anything?