Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Butler County)

Default Re: AOW for concealed carry?

I'm confused..... Can you? or can't you? cc an AOW... It's an old thread but I have the same question... Thanks...

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

Quote Originally Posted by TTR View Post
    I'm confused..... Can you? or can't you? cc an AOW... It's an old thread but I have the same question... Thanks...
    yes.........
    FJB

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    yes.........
    Thankyou

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

(Montgomery County)

as long as you carry one that still meets the definitions of firearm for LTCF purposes... remember that. for example... a cane gun does not meet the definiton as its not:
    pistol or revolver with a barrel less than 15"
    a shotgun with a barrel less than 18"
    rifle with a barrel less than 16"

so SOME AOWs are ok... SOME may not be.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    as long as you carry one that still meets the definitions of firearm for LTCF purposes... remember that. for example... a cane gun does not meet the definiton as its not:

I'm gonna re-ask another question from earlier in the thread that wasn't answered. What PA law states that you can't conceal anything other than a "firearm" as per the definition?

After all, my buddy's Keltec sub2000 could be concealed under a winter jacket, but it is a long gun, and not a firearm. So where's the law that says you can't conceal it?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

What I am interested in is a smooth bore semi auto 12 gauge shotgun with an 8" barrel, pistol grip and detachable foregrip and NO stock so it should be OK... Not that I would cc this thing on my person but rather throw it in the truck for a road trip to the range or camp.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    What PA law states that you can't conceal anything other than a "firearm" as per the definition?
    i am about positive there is not one.

you can conceal a long gun on foot outside of philly if you want...and you don't even need an LTCF.

i'm far from an expert on NFA stuff, but my understanding (which could be wrong) is that AOW refers to things like cane guns, etc. such items are prohibited to even own in PA (though there is an exception if you can prove you own them for curio purposes only). so, you cannot carry those at all...concealed or open.

After all, my buddy's Keltec sub2000 could be concealed under a winter jacket, but it is a long gun, and not a firearm. So where's the law that says you can't conceal it?
    he can conceal it on foot. he cannot, however, carry it loaded in a vehicle. he also cannot carry it at all in philly without an LTCF.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i'm far from an expert on NFA stuff, but my understanding (which could be wrong) is that AOW refers to things like cane guns, etc. such items are prohibited to even own in PA (though there is an exception if you can prove you own them for curio purposes only). so, you cannot carry those at all...concealed or open.

For reference: 18 Pa.C.S. § 908: Prohibited offensive weapons

AOW is a federal definition with no real equivalent under PA law. Some weapons that meet the federal defintion of AOW (like a pistol with a vertical foregrip) meet the PA § 6102 definition for "firearms", some (like pen guns and cane guns) would seem to meet the PA definition of Prohibited Offensive Weapons. The POW law makes it a defense to own the weapon in accordance with federal law, and seems to have a blanket exemption for anyone possessing a firearm (under the more expansive definition) for lawful purposes. I really don't know if that means the POW itself, or another firearm. AOWs in general are probably ok to carry, and as previously noted in this thread, a Serbu Super Shorty type weapon should be fine.

That said, I am not a lawyer, I did not research case law on this subject, and my opinions are worth what you paid for them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123