Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ohio Law Changing, Loaded Magazines now allowed in a motor vehicle.

It looks like the law is changing soon and after 3/27/2013 there will not be a need to unload mags. But they must be "stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure."

Ohioans for Concealed Carry made a PDF that describes the changes in "2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle." The change are in Ohio HB 495.

3. Definition of unloaded firearm in a vehicle
    A firearm in a vehicle now will be considered unloaded if there is no ammunition in the firearm in question, and no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question, and 1 or 2 applies:

1 There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question, or 2 Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a containerthat provides complete and separate enclosure. Such a containerincludes, butis notlimited to, any ofthe following:

- A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment,the magazine or speed loaderis contained within a separate enclosure in that compartmentthat does not contain the firearm
    and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or otherfastenerthat must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader

- A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or otherfastenerthat must be opened to access the contents.

Ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

“Unloaded” means,with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Exemption for CHL holders. According to HB495, the rules above “do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described [above] as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle. .”Although this language does not expressly limit the CHL exemption to magazines and speed loaders specifically for handguns, OFCC believes the wording is vague. Some CHL holders may not want to rely on this exemption.
    http://ohioccw.org/images/OFCC%20HB4...0landscape.pdf

Here is the full bill of OH 495

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...?ID=129_HB_495
    Last edited by QuackXP; March 22nd, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Default Re: Ohio Law Changing, Loaded Magazines now allowed in a motor vehicle.

But the firearm STILL has to be unloaded? I would almost rather carry a brick inside a vehicle and not have to worry about violating their convoluted bullshit law.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    But the firearm STILL has to be unloaded? I would almost rather carry a brick inside a vehicle and not have to worry about violating their convoluted bullshit law.
    What firearms do you carry loaded in a vehicle in PA without a LTCF?

The law appears to be about people that don't have their Ohio CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    What firearms do you carry loaded in a vehicle in PA without a LTCF?

The law appears to be about people that don't have their Ohio CHL.
    Yes. Don't mix up PA and OH law. In Ohio (and most other states), you can transport an unloaded handgun in a vehicle without a license without our silly restrictions on where you're traveling to or from. This addresses what "loaded" means in Ohio. Before this change, a gun in the trunk with a single round in its magazine or speedloader anywhere in the vehicle (in the glove box, for example) is considered "loaded" in Ohio. There was an exception for en-bloc and stripper clips, perhaps to cover the Camp Perry shooters. Now if they'd just deal with that "must inform" craziness.

(Bucks County)

After seeing the latestvideo of the Cop threatening and losing it all over this old guy about "must inform", I'm glad I don't frequent Ohio much. We could lose the confusing laws about carrying in a vehicle when unloaded. This is a better situation for Ohioans, while still not the perfect scenario.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    After seeing the latestvideo of the Cop threatening and losing it all over this old guy about "must inform", I'm glad I don't frequent Ohio much. We could lose the confusing laws about carrying in a vehicle when unloaded. This is a better situation for Ohioans, while still not the perfect scenario.
    When the first legislation to remove the ban from CC in Ohio came about it was rife with all kinds of BS. Over the years Ohioans have managed to strip away or change parts. I know duty to inform is one of them that is on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    There was an exception for en-bloc and stripper clips, perhaps to cover the Camp Perry shooters. Now if they'd just deal with that "must inform" craziness.
    Originally any stripper or en-bloc clips where banned. I don't recall if it was changed during the legislative process before it was signed into law or if it was changed after the law was passed, but the main issue was that some ammo comes from the factory on such clips, so simply buying ammo and driveing it home would be illegal.
    Last edited by QuackXP; March 22nd, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion