Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Better choice for an aspiring sniper - SWAT or Armed Forces?

One of my best friends from High School will be graduating from college this year, and he is comtemplating his career path. He decided a few years ago that he wishes to be a sniper, but he is as of yet undecided if he would be better off joining the Armed Forces and working his way into a sniper role, or if joining a police force and making his way into SWAT would serve him better. What are your thoughts? If the militay would be the better option, which branch affords the best opportunities for snipers?

He didn't ask me to come on here and ask, but I thought this might be a good place to get some insight.

Thanks,
    Dave

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Better choice for an aspiring sniper - SWAT or Armed Forces?

While I have no direct involvement with "snipers", I would suspect that going through the military first would be a good idea. Once he is trained with good military tactics and discipline *AND* has a "snipers" function, he could exit the military, join a large metropolitan police force and apply to the SWAT team when he is eligible. (I make that last statement as usually you have to be off probation ar an active member for X time before applying to a higher/more demanding position.)

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    While I have no direct involvement with "snipers", I would suspect that going through the military first would be a good idea. Once he is trained with good military tactics and discipline *AND* has a "snipers" function, he could exit the military, join a large metropolitan police force and apply to the SWAT team when he is eligible. (I make that last statement as usually you have to be off probation ar an active member for X time before applying to a higher/more demanding position.)

Thanks for the advice, but just out of curiosity, why the quotation marks around snipers? It's not like sniper is a word I made up, it's a real thing, and it's really what they're called . . . . just wondering.

(Bucks County)

two completely different jobs. Police snipers rarely take shots over 75 yards and they need to pretty much be able to shoot a cigarette out of a guys mouth, lol. military, depending on the rifle, shoot out to 2000+ yards and they just need to hit a man size target.

what is he planning on doing career wise? if he wants to be a SWAT sniper, he's better off joining the police department as soon as he gets out of college as you need to put in time as an officer to get into SWAT. while he's in the department, he should do short distance competition rifle shooting until he's damn good. then, he'll stand more of a chance at SWAT. SWAT is a life saving operation whereas the military is the opposite in most cases. I know they recruit some ex-military guys for SWAT, but they rarely recruit ex-military snipers as their whole thought process needs to be changed.........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Warren County)

I dont know what the better choice would be since its wholly subjective. I can tell you that in the military, the Marines specifically you have to sign up as 0300 (infantry) then get chosen to go to sniper school (0386 if i remember correctly).

If I wanted sniping as a career I would probably choose SWAT. If I just wanted to be bad ass I would choose USMC sniper.

Now of course there are the private contractors I didnt see mentioned as an option. I'm sure Blackwater or one of those outfits would hire a freshly discharged military sniper.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but just out of curiosity, why the quotation marks around snipers? It's not like sniper is a word I made up, it's a real thing, and it's really what they're called . . . . just wondering.
    the whole "sniper" thing has turned into an epidemic of everyone wanting to be one. thanks in no small part to Hollywood. it's a dirty disgusting job that is NOT fun or glamorous. you join the military and tell them you want to be a sniper first thing, they'll laugh at you. most people don't have what it takes to be regular infantry, forget about a sniper. Most people have no idea what they're saying when they say they want to be a sniper. how much fun could it really be to see the expression on a man's face before you vaporize his head? many times over - those faces will come back to haunt you. killing is serious business and takes a serious toll on a human. those who talk about it freely have never killed anyone in combat - it takes on a whole new position after you have.

also, who would want to belly crawl for hours carrying your poop in a bag, having ants crawling around on you and biting you, wearing a ghillie suit that makes the temperature go up 20 or 30 degrees in an already jungle region. all just to snuff out an unsuspecting guard in a way that is far too up close and personal. a guy who just wants to get home to his family at night and is not even shooting at you. again, NOT what hollywood makes it out to be and that is why some people look at you cross eyed if you say anything about being a "sniper".
    Last edited by Punisher; April 10th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Berks County)

To become a sniper in the military you have to be selected, basically you need to be a perfect marksman, as well as meet a few other qualifications. I have to agree with punisher, its no easy job and its not something i think i would enlist specifically to do. If they wanted to place me there then maybe i would think about it. But its not one of those things i would be excited about doing.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(York County)

My little brother was on a scout sniper team on the DMZ in Korea. He says he would not reccomend that school to anyone. Its hard training for arguably the worst job ever.

Bear.
    3%

(Bedford County)

Thumbs up Re: Better choice for an aspiring sniper - SWAT or Armed Forces?

Even though I was U.S. Army, I believe in my heart that the U.S.M.C. has the best sniper training in the world. It all started back with Carlos Hathcock. Who had 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam. The Corps built their sniper program around him and his skills. If you get the chance, read the book "Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills". That man was truly a warrior.

(Berks County)

I think it would depend on his long term plans to be honest but he could do both.

IMHO I would say he should join the USMC first. I believe since he is a college graduate he could go right into an officers training program. He could then try to work his way into their sniper program although I hear there is a bit of a waiting list and they are very picky. I feel that the USMC has one of the best sniper programs out there at the moment from what I have read. He must understand however that getting into the sniper program is not by any means a sure thing.

After he pays his dues and completes the program and serves his time he can opt to stay in for a career or if he wants a more stable family life he can leave and walk onto a police force with his experience and education. He can then work his way onto the SWAT team if they have one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast