Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default I wish there was more price gouging.

I have to get this off of my chest.

From my research, while casually, you can refer to price gouging being whatever you want. Much like price gouging could even mean sweeping the floor....price gouging, legally, is when you have a sharp increase in prices during or right before some sort of disaster or goods that people need. This is considered morally wrong and a felony.

what do we have here today?

Well...we have people selling gun parts, predominantly AR 15 parts. There is no disaster, and you do not need guns. They are a luxury. This is called supply and demand. I honestly think there should have been more "price gouging" If the price of all of this stuff would of instantly gone up to current market prices the shelves would all still have decent stock on them and people wouldnt be backed up so far. How long is it going to take until things are caught up? How much are people going to be needlessly hoarding? There was a guy on this very forum admitting hes "part of the problem", as he put it. He bought a 250 round box of 9mm he didnt need. Thats his right, but its destroying the market. My friend just bought a new 9mm pistol and he cant shoot it because there is no 9mm to be had. Not even reloading supplies.

Right now, manufacturers can't keep up. They cant hire new staff because this isnt going to last. Hell..they dont even know if theyll be allowed to do it legally. So they are going by current staff and supply trying to fill the bottomless appetite of americans needlessly buying crap they don't need. Then the people who have no guns are are just getting into the sport, which happens everyday..can't. Those of us who want to go shoot........can't. Ive been wanting to go shoot my .22lr for months but I cant. And probably wont be able to for who knows how long. Right now, this sport is dead to me, because I cant participate in it.

If the shelves were stocked at current market prices, there would be stuff here today. And as the panic would soon calm, the prices would slowly drop. Because you, thats right, you control the market prices. Dont like the prices? dont pay them.....don't get me wrong, I actually understood the panic at first. It looked like stuff was gonna get banned, and if you can never buy it again..well, you want to stock up. But after while you had to figure out this bill wasn't going anywhere federally. (I understand there is still current problem with certain states. IE, Coloado, NY)

Now, it appears as if the worst of this storm is passed. Its not over, they are still trying to slip things in here and there with amendments. But they will be shot down for the most part. If the same legislatures wont pass the whole bill, they aren't going to pass its parts. It will calm down. But then the industry has to play catch up. Even if it stopped today. When would the market return to normal??? In a year? Thats what I'm guessing. But thing is, there is no "end" its something thats going to have to happen slowly. So.......who knows how long its going to be. There is a serious dent in our little hobby and its going to take a while for the auto body shop to fix it.

Oh well...guess my shooting in my "violent" video games will have to suffice until I can do it for real. Or maybe Ill take up knitting or something.
    [account deactivated]

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I wish there was more price gouging.

The felony kind of price gouging is a vital public service: by sharply raising the price of gas, you ensure that people will use it only when absolutely necessary, and that there will be some left when the next ambulance or fire truck needs fuel.

But you're right, what's going on now doesn't remotely qualify as criminal "price gouging." And even more of it would be nice: then people like, oh, LEOs who need qualification ammo but have to buy it themselves, could actually find some. *whistles*

During one of the hurricanes a few years ago I was in Virginia helping some family members with property damage. There were numerous examples of folks selling bottled water and gas at outrageous prices. Some of the jurisdictions took action and prosecuted while others claimed the law was vague.

Just curious... can you provide a source that this is a felony? How do they determine where the line falls between profit and gouging? I don't like it any more than the next guy but the degree of interest in prosecution is all over the place.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    During one of the hurricanes a few years ago I was in Virginia helping some family members with property damage. There were numerous examples of folks selling bottled water and gas at outrageous prices. Some of the jurisdictions took action and prosecuted...
    Which led the people with bottled water to stay home and keep it for themselves. Brilliant.

The price is not outrageous when suddenly everyone needs it and the supply is limited...

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    During one of the hurricanes a few years ago I was in Virginia helping some family members with property damage. There were numerous examples of folks selling bottled water and gas at outrageous prices. Some of the jurisdictions took action and prosecuted while others claimed the law was vague.

Just curious... can you provide a source that this is a felony? How do they determine where the line falls between profit and gouging? I don't like it any more than the next guy but the degree of interest in prosecution is all over the place.
    The almightly wiki was the first whistle stop, but they provide citations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

A few more...i haven't thoroughly read these, though
    http://apps.americanbar.org/antitrus...g-statutes.pdf

http://www.nga.org/files/live/sites/...iceGouging.pdf
    [account deactivated]

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    There is no disaster
    Having Obama as President and people like Bloomburg, Cuomo, and Feinstein in anywhere near the politics is Disaster enough IMO.

I hate people benefit off of fear. Even my friends were doing it.

But way I figured was that the if I dont like the prices, I don't buy it. Simple as that.
    So called price gougers can't sustain themself if noone pays the price they are asking.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I have to get this off of my chest.

From my research, while casually, you can refer to price gouging being whatever you want. Much like price gouging could even mean sweeping the floor....price gouging, legally, is when you have a sharp increase in prices during or right before some sort of disaster or goods that people need. This is considered morally wrong and a felony.

Right now, manufacturers can't keep up. They cant hire new staff because this isnt going to last. Hell..they dont even know if theyll be allowed to do it legally. So they are going by current staff and supply trying to fill the bottomless appetite of americans needlessly buying crap they don't need. Then the people who have no guns are are just getting into the sport, which happens everyday..can't. Those of us who want to go shoot........can't. Ive been wanting to go shoot my .22lr for months but I cant. And probably wont be able to for who knows how long. Right now, this sport is dead to me, because I cant participate in it.
    Disaster is in the eye of the beholder. Many in America hold the right to self defense at the core of their belief system. They consider infringement on that right an unacceptably debilitating proposition.

The idea of need is an interesting thing. Most of what we have/use is not needed. Spend time in some third world countries and that point becomes crystal clear. I liken ammo "hoarding" to buying a 100" plasma tv. Neither is actually needed but, as long as you don't live under the rule of gov blumbum you are able to pursue happiness however you see fit (largely).
    Montani Semper Liberi

If anyones confused, allow me to clarify to those who are lost.

As of right now, there is no disaster. Not liking politicians does not qualify. Half of the population hates someone all of the time.

You do not need guns, especially assault type weapons. During hurricaine sandy, people in NYC NEEDED water, food, shelter, generators, gasoline, etc. You don't need a case of 5.56 ammo. Disaster area is pretty clear. Right now, no part of America is in one.

To one of the above guys, you hit the nail on the head. If you quit paying the prices they go away. Its like a chinese finger trap...its called supply and demand. Its genius in its simplicity.
    [account deactivated]

I looked up price gouging on Wikipedia and found the same thing you did.

"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation."

"The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property. In jurisdictions where there is no such crime, the term may still be used to pressure firms to refrain from such behavior."

I am really not sure what your point is and continue to assert that many would consider a breakdown of constitutional rights a civil emergency (at least for those who care about America and its history). Further, most on here would consider firearms as being "equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property."
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Philadelphia County)

People that complain about gouging crack me up, if you dont like the price don`t buy it, its that simple. Don`t PM me and tell me I`m selling something to high, its really not your business what I sell something for, nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Liberals think you owe them something, so stop acting like a crying liberal, if you dont like a price move on and shut your mouth ITS NOT YOUR BUSINESS, its called capitalism not communism. Glad to see some people feel the same.
    Last edited by miked30-06; March 20th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast