Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default What's your favorite OWB holster?

I'm looking for a new OWB holster for my 1911, both for every day OC, and for use at the range. What is everyone's favorite, and why?

Thanks
    Dave

(Chester County)

Default Re: What's your favorite OWB holster?

Kirkpatrick 2000 Challenger.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/hm_2000.htm for a pics.

Excellent quality leather and hand workmanship. Conceals high and tight, incredibly comfortable due to an almost flat body side. Good thumbreak, solid, but easily releases as part of my draw.

While I very rarely OC, I believe a retention device is an absolute must if you're going to do that. I only have thumbreaks on mine because I do a lot of motorcycling and don't need my guns taking a walk without permission.

I own three of them, one each for my P7M8, 1911, and Glock 19.

And Kirkpatrick is a good shop for customer service, speed of delivery, and price.

Edit to add: Regarding OC and range use. I (for whatever reason) am of the mindset that if you're going to carry a gun in a particular holster 24/7, why bother switching for "range" use? I'm setting aside pure competition use (I use a straight drop Kydex OWB from Sidearmor), of course -- I'm talking about normal practice sessions. I guess it's not a big deal if you don't carry with a thumbreak, but if you use any sort of retention device you ought to practice with it most, if not all, of the time.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; April 10th, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(York County)

The only thing I wear now is www.ravenconcealment.com. It is kydex that wears like leather. The set up at gun shows and make em while you wait or you can order on their site. I got rid of all my other stuff. Used to wear Bladetech.

(York County)

I like my Kydex paddle holster but for OC? Maybe not, its shit for retention. A solid pull from the side and its off your hip. But it works for as a CC holster.

BB
    3%

(Snyder County)

Right now, for most of my OWB, I use a Desantis holster. I forget right now what it is. Anyway, my question is more for Rule.

My Desantis holster is very similar in looks to the one you posted. So you ever have a problem with the belt loops opening up from the weight of the pistol or whatever? My loops have opened up a little, making the holster not as tight to my body as I would like. Any issues with this?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    My Desantis holster is very similar in looks to the one you posted. So you ever have a problem with the belt loops opening up from the weight of the pistol or whatever? My loops have opened up a little, making the holster not as tight to my body as I would like. Any issues with this?
    Not on the Kirkpatrick stuff, which is part of the reason I like it.

What you're describing is pretty common with off the rack holsters -- and I think it happens because: (i) the leather used is thinner and of lower quality, so it stretches more; (ii) the DeSantis holsters place more of the body of the holster above the loops, which causes the pistol to "flop" away from your body; (iii) the loops have less support on the DeSantis because they wing out further from the body of the holster and have less leather on the outside edge; and (iv) the loops on the DeSantis are pre-curved which makes them bend easier.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

i use a ross black leather 1911 holster.

(Luzerne County)

Favorite? Tough question and depends on the gun.
    Milt Sparks NLG for most.

I am a leather guy, but recently have taken favor to the Blackhawk SERPA for OC. Since you mention OC, I would recommend checking them out. Even though they are polymer (PLASTIC - AHHHH). they are still nice and clean looking with black belt/accessories.
    In this pic you will see two of us with SERPA's and 1911's like you are asking about and one with SERPA/S&W. Best thing about black is that it goes with any attire
    Price is right and it's to have a retention device other than a thumb strap too.

(Northampton County)

I have a Blackhawk Serpa for my XD-9. It wears rather comfortable and I really like the retention. Easy to get the Gun in and out, adjustable angle and an optional paddle to replace the belt loop. Not very good for Concealment unless you are wearing big clothes.

Edit:
    I may start to OC just becuase like the Serpa holster.
    Last edited by jofreder; April 10th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Favorite? Tough question and depends on the gun.
    Milt Sparks NLG for most.

I am a leather guy, but recently have taken favor to the Blackhawk SERPA for OC. Since you mention OC, I would recommend checking them out. Even though they are polymer (PLASTIC - AHHHH). they are still nice and clean looking with black belt/accessories.
    In this pic you will see two of us with SERPA's and 1911's like you are asking about and one with SERPA/S&W. Best thing about black is that it goes with any attire
    Price is right and it's to have a retention device other than a thumb strap too.
    DOH! I knew I forgot to mention something! I have and use a Level 2 Serpa now. I'm looking for a leather rig. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast