Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What training do you have?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just kind of learned by myself or from family & friends

37 39.36%
  • Police training

16 17.02%
  • Military training

37 39.36%
  • Professional training (commercial course)

31 32.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default What kind of training do you have?

There is no doubt that the vast majority of people carrying firearms have little training geared towards anything other than shooting a stationary paper target. Much of that training has been very informal. What is your level of training?

I grew up shooting all types of firearms. My first formal pistol instruction was at the US Army Military Police School in 1991. We were the last class to qualify with the 1911 but also quailified with the 92F.

During my police career I attended 3 seperate firearms instructors schools as well as the Blackwater Shotgun/Pistol course, MP-5 Operators Course, Patrol Rifle operators course and Police Marksman course.

What traininig do you have, and what is your biggest hurdle for getting more?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: What kind of training do you have?

I have had a lot of training and practice. alone and in groups aka IPSC/IDPA.

My biggest problem in getting more is cost. I'm now retired and live in an isolated area. there are no courses offered within a half a days drive which would mean lodging cost on top of the course. It's not in the budget. If someone wanted to offer a course in my town I suspect I could get the local pistol range for a very reasonable fee.

How much would an instructor be willing to pay to get exclusive access to an outdoor pistol range capable of handling 25+ people on line if you had your own target stands. range is good to 50 yards I think.

(Berks County)

I lernt mah shootin from tha interwebs.

No, really . I try and converse with as many knowledgable, well trained people as I can, and pick up tips and tricks here and there. I do my best to apply them at my local static range when I go, and also during dry-fire excercises. Am I a Navy SEAL because of it? No. Do I feel capable in using my weapons in the worst case scenarios they would be employed? Yes.

On whats keeping me from getting more proffessional training is as it is for many, cost and time. Having a free evening where I can go dispose of some white box WalMart ammo is a rare occurance. Also the fear of going through all the hassle and expense of completing a course, only to find it didnt help me that much.

(Adams County)

Mostly Military, various types of courses depending on command mission. Minimal police training, and misc civilian training for executive protection.

All the above was paid for by Government or Corporate tills. God I miss the free weapons and ammo!

Looking into some "refresher" training. I had major surgery on my spine last year, and it has changed the way I "engage" a target. However, this will be on my dime. Not just for the course, but travel, lodging, meals, etc.....sucks to be a civilian sometimes.

This is a great thread. But VERY scary.....look at the percentage of those who learned by themselves or from friends.....I'm assuming this is extremely informal training at best....how many of them plunked down a credit card for a gun and a LTCF "to go"......
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Centre County)

12-pack of Yuengling and a brick of 22's

(York County)

What I have found is many people say that they wish they had taken some training earlier because they realize that they had easily correctable mistakes.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

I have trained a lot of police and citzens. I enjoy the citizens because they want to be there and take it seriously. Over the next year I hope to do several courses here in PA. I am always interested to see what keeps people from training. Most of the time it seems to be travel and lodging. That is part of my mobile training concept. I am prepared to bring the training to different locations.
    Last edited by mercop; April 9th, 2008 at 10:33 PM.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    12-pack of Yuengling and a brick of 22's

LOL!!! I only have a couple questions...

1. What did you shoot at prior to the first empty?

2. Did it take the entire brick to hit all twelve?

(Cumberland County)

Grandfather and Uncle taught me...both were avid hunters, was in the 4H rifle club for several years as well. I guess 18 years of practice counts for something!!! I would like to take some of the formal training/tactical courses, its just cost prohibitive right now!!!
    MOLON LABE

Mostly from Uncle Sam's pocket.

I would like to start shooting IDPA . . . but don't really now anything about it. So if any of you West Shore guys read . . . let me know so I can check it out sometime
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    What I have found is many people say that they wish they had taken some training earlier because they realize that they had easily correctable mistakes.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

I have trained a lot of police and citzens. I enjoy the citizens because they want to be there and take it seriously. Over the next year I hope to do several courses here in PA. I am always interested to see what keeps people from training. Most of the time it seems to be travel and lodging. That is part of my mobile training concept. I am prepared to bring the training to different locations.
    DOD started that in the late 80's......tractor/trailers with either a FATS or actual 4 station range in the trailer. Of course, the curriculum was very limited.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast