Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What training do you have?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just kind of learned by myself or from family & friends

37 39.36%
  • Police training

16 17.02%
  • Military training

37 39.36%
  • Professional training (commercial course)

31 32.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: What kind of training do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by BullfrogKen View Post
    Yes, ATSA still meets the third Saturday of every month to have Study Group. We won't be having a Study Group in May. Traditionally that day is a work day for the Team, and we'll be working on getting the shoothouses ready for the annual NTI event. But we'll be having our Study Group day in April. We start at 9 with a lecture topic, and the spend the afternoon in live fire practical application exercises. We also have a Force on Force scenario in the afternoon as well.
    Great to hear. After several year hiatus I will be returning. Wife too!

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    What traininig do you have, and what is your biggest hurdle for getting more?
    Just US Navy basic pistol and years of learning from friends and family (all hunters). Add in to that a few PAFOA group shoots.

My hurdle ... cost!

With a bit of luck after relocation and better jobs my wife and I will finally be able to afford training. A few hundred dollars each is just not in the budget now.

Military and police, including EST
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    Just US Navy basic pistol and years of learning from friends and family (all hunters). Add in to that a few PAFOA group shoots.

My hurdle ... cost!

With a bit of luck after relocation and better jobs my wife and I will finally be able to afford training. A few hundred dollars each is just not in the budget now.
    US NAVY basic pistol....LOL!......watchstander 15yd or 25yd marksmanship ribbon shoot? God I hope those have gone away....SSET and SSEW were the only worthwhile "basic" courses in the non-spec NAVY world of firearms instruction. Just my opinion, from a former NAVY SAMI who tried his best to change that ridiculous 15yd watchstander qual!
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Allegheny County)

Military training didn't amount to much in the Air Force.
    We shot 60 rounds out of an M16 in 1969 at 100yds from prone,kneeling,sitting and standing. We shot a few times in Vietnam just to verify we could lock and load.

I took my first tactical pistol class in 2000 with Giles Stock as the rangemaster.I have taken a fair amount of classes since then from Giles including a couple low light classes, a few basic pistol classes, a tactics F on F class and an instructors workshop class.

I have taken a basic/intermediate class from John Farnam and a separate third day of training which had a few more advanced drills.

I have also taken a close quarters class with Steve Tarani and Randy Cain. Steve also came to town another time to do an edged weapons/contact defense class.

Pete Georgiades taught a carbine class and another level one tactics class.

I was signed up for a Larry Mudgett class which cancelled as Larry had something going on and Stan Holland (RIP) of the US Marshalls service stepped in and did the class.

All told, there are just over 300 hours of training.

Aside from these, I did the NRA RSO,pistol,rifle, shotgun, home firearm safety and personal protection instructors classes.

I consider myself to be marginally trained and try to push training to the people who think"self training" is even remotely adequate which IMHO is not.

Cost of classes is one of the main reasons I get from people to not start into training classes. I truely believe that ego and fear of not performing to a standard most people think they are at is the real reason in many cases. That is just my personal opinion as good friends of mine won't even consider it.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    US NAVY basic pistol....LOL!......watchstander 15yd or 25yd marksmanship ribbon shoot? God I hope those have gone away....SSET and SSEW were the only worthwhile "basic" courses in the non-spec NAVY world of firearms instruction. Just my opinion, from a former NAVY SAMI who tried his best to change that ridiculous 15yd watchstander qual!
    I'm pretty sure it was a 15yd course of fire but it wasn't even for a marksmanship ribbon. It was back in '89 so my memory is rusty on details. I'm a former Electronics Tech in the Nuke Power Program (injured and discharged in '91).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234