Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Steyr SSG 69 - opinions, experiences, price ideas

OK guys, I am looking at a clean SSG69, double triggers, green fiberglass stock, Leopold scope (not original to rifle scope - comes with Kahles ZF scope) single mag... I am looking for opinions, experiences and price ideas. The seller is not sure how much it should be but mentioned that these are around 2k... What do you think?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Steyr SSG 69 - opinions, experiences, price ideas

I have one. It's an ex-PD rifle. It originaly came with a decent Bushnell 6x but I recently acquired a 6x Kahles for it. The rifle shoots better than I can. I can do -1 inch groups at 200m with it. As I said I know the rifle will do better than that.

As for the cost. If you are getting the Kahles with it tha's a pretty reasonable price. If you are getting both the Leopold and the Kahles it's a great deal.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    I have one. It's an ex-PD rifle. It originaly came with a decent Bushnell 6x but I recently acquired a 6x Kahles for it. The rifle shoots better than I can. I can do -1 inch groups at 200m with it. As I said I know the rifle will do better than that.

As for the cost. If you are getting the Kahles with it tha's a pretty reasonable price. If you are getting both the Leopold and the Kahles it's a great deal.
    Oh I have done reading on the rifle - I know it will shoot better than me as well. It can stretch way further, and I would love to take the challenge... Kahles is NOT included - just the Leopold, which is certainly not bad, but I would like to keep it original. I was thinking more of an area of $1400 - $1500 but don't know if it's a realistic price.

I am a huge Steyr fan...they aren't cheap, but their firearms are built very well. My biggest concern is once you have to have barrel replaced...you may have to search for gunsmiths that work with metric threads.

It was rumored that older Steyrs had pressed on barrels, but the newer Steyrs use metric threads.

$2K range is about right for a Steyr SSG69.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mracer71 View Post
    Oh I have done reading on the rifle - I know it will shoot better than me as well. It can stretch way further, and I would love to take the challenge... Kahles is NOT included - just the Leopold, which is certainly not bad, but I would like to keep it original. I was thinking more of an area of $1400 - $1500 but don't know if it's a realistic price.
    If just the leopold then $1500.00 is more in line with reality. It does have the double triggers though. Still, the $1500.00 or a bit less is a good market value.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I am a huge Steyr fan...they aren't cheap, but their firearms are built very well. My biggest concern is once you have to have barrel replaced...you may have to search for gunsmiths that work with metric threads.

It was rumored that older Steyrs had pressed on barrels, but the newer Steyrs use metric threads.

$2K range is about right for a Steyr SSG69.
    So speaking of replacing barrels, how many rounds does it aprox. take to get to that point?
    I've looked around and read that changing the barrel is not worth the trouble as normally rifles would need to be sent back to Steyr and the cost of that would get close to the value of the rifle.
    I suppose that I will need to find out if this is a pressed barrel or metric. The owner has no idea as he isn't the original purchaser - knows little of it if anything.

My Steyr SBS "tactical" shot very well, so I don't feel you would need/want to replace the factory barrel. I'm sure the SSG 69 would be the same as Steyr tends to use the same parts in their rifles.

I always liked that spiral barrel on the Steyr rifles.

You could also try to contact Steyr USA and give them SN of the rifle to get more information about the rifle. I got in tough with them in the past and there is an older gentleman that worked for them that was full of information. I'm not sure if he retired, but worth giving them a call.

As far as barrel wear, that's going to depend on how hot the rounds are loaded up, since it's 308...most can be shot thousands of rounds before a barrel swap is required.

Depending on price...I would think the rifle would be worth it...I know I miss my SBS tactical model that I owned...Steyrs are just cool rifles.