Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Guy in Minnesota getting evicted for carrying at home while renting

This is fucking hilarious, and simultaneously ridiculous.

Tenant A rents a room in a nice house from his Landlord. Tenant A owns several pistols, one of which he keeps loaded and carries with him daily. Landlord has decided to "not renew his lease" because of said loaded firearm, but Tenant B, who also has a loaded firearm regularly due to being a P.I., the Landlord has no problem with.

This made the news, here.

Below is the recorded conversation, which was legal for him to do since Minnesota is a one-party consent state:

Funny thing is, the Landlord gave Tenant A the same bullshit reason for discriminating against him as Brian Miller gave me for refusing to talk to me and answer my question at the latest local firearms politics debate.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Guy in Minnesota getting evicted for carrying at home while renting

lol.... landlord discriminating
    live to ride

(York County)

Definitely discrimination. I think the landlord somehow thinks that "Ed" being a P.I. is somehow more trustworthy and better trained, lumping him in with the "only one's " dictum. I bet if you asked the landlord that question, he would answer "yes, I think only law enforcement, military, and Ed should have guns.". Oh, and the " you have fear in your heart, I can tell"....WTF.....that's an "I can't think up a valid reason but this is what I'm going with" argument.

(Montgomery County)

Well, it is the landlord's private property so he can do whatever he wants as most of us have come to understand. Also, gun owners are not a protected class so this is not discrimination in the legal sense. Do PI's have a different licensing criteria in MN, sort of like Act 235? Maybe that's why the LL is OK with the other tenant.

Landlord's first mistake was giving a reason for not renewing. Simply should have stated he was not renewing.

BTW, I am a landlord and I do not prohibit firearms.
    Last edited by cjbcpa; March 17th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

As said it is their property and they can do as they wish. Just to clarify, non renewal of a lease is not an eviction. The landlord didn't get out of an agreement, they merely allowed the contract to expire. If a court granted an eviction for a clause that wasn't in the lease it would be an issue IMO.

Now as a tenant I certainly wouldn't want to move into a building that has now been advertised as gun free. Well, at least the apartment I'd be living in.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by cjbcpa View Post
    Well, it is the landlord's private property so he can do whatever he wants as most of us have come to understand. Also, gun owners are not a protected class so this is not discrimination in the legal sense. Do PI's have a different licensing criteria in MN, sort of like Act 235? Maybe that's why the LL is OK with the other tenant.

Landlord's first mistake was giving a reason for not renewing. Simply should have stated he was not renewing.

BTW, I am a landlord and I do not prohibit firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerpa View Post
    As said it is their property and they can do as they wish. Just to clarify, non renewal of a lease is not an eviction. The landlord didn't get out of an agreement, they merely allowed the contract to expire. If a court granted an eviction for a clause that wasn't in the lease it would be an issue IMO.

Now as a tenant I certainly wouldn't want to move into a building that has now been advertised as gun free. Well, at least the apartment I'd be living in.
    2012 Minnesota Statutes

(e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

Wow, apparently the land lord also owns guns and hunts. Must be a Fudd. Unfortunately he can probably not renew the lease for any reason. Moving is such a pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    2012 Minnesota Statutes

(e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

That's surprising, since public places can post "no gun" signs and it's illegal to carry there.

(Franklin County)

Ok, here's whats happened.
    The lanlord is the one leaving footprints in the snow outside renter As window and he's afraid he's going to get shot.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    2012 Minnesota Statutes

Renter seems a reasonably intelligent fellow. Curious why he did not think to look-up the statute prior to confronting the landlord. Heck, if I were a renter, I would have familiarized myself with landlord/tenant law - specifically, firearms ownership, before entering in a rental agreement in the first place. Regardless, no doubt he's loathe to have to move again owing to that grand piano!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast