Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Question about applying for new license in Phili.

Hi, So I'm a NYC resident planning to move to Center City Philadelphia in PA. I'm going to surrender my NY driver license for a PA driver license and become a PA resident. I have never been convicted of a crime (misdemeanor, felony), however, I was arrested once on suspicion of grand larceny (a felony), but was convicted of disorderly conduct which is a violation punishable by a maximum of 15 days in jail. This conviction is sealed. A violation is not a crime in NYC, according to my lawyer it's the equivalent of a traffic violation or jay walking. This happened when I was 21, I'm 23 now so 2 years went by. I can pass the NICS background check and buy a gun no problem. here's my question, I understand I need 2 references to apply for the conceal carry license. On the reference paper it asks "has this person ever been arrested?". It's on the reference paper so it's not directly asking me, it's asking the reference person. Do I have to tell my reference person about my arrest? What if he asks? If I tell him yes will it disqualify me? I want to just say "no" if he asks, but will I get in trouble in the long run being that my reference person said "no" but the truth is I was arrested once in NYC?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Question about applying for new license in Phili.

Let me beat the angry mob that will shortly arrive with torches and pitchforks to tell you that you don't have to have references fill out the forms. Its true, you don't, but unless you want to be bent over the counter for a proctological exam by someone with hands the size of Shaq's, its far easier to just get people to fill the damned things out. The people who will tell you to fight the system don't live in Philly and just don't get it.

Now, having gotten that out of the way. The illegal form's exact grammatically correct questions all start with "to the best of your knowledge". What's that quaint military rule...don't ask don't tell. Sums it up well.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchristy View Post
    Let me beat the angry mob that will shortly arrive with torches and pitchforks to tell you that you don't have to have references fill out the forms. Its true, you don't, but unless you want to be bent over the counter for a proctological exam by someone with hands the size of Shaq's, its far easier to just get people to fill the damned things out. The people who will tell you to fight the system don't live in Philly and just don't get it.

Now, having gotten that out of the way. The illegal form's exact grammatically correct questions all start with "to the best of your knowledge". What's that quaint military rule...don't ask don't tell. Sums it up well.
    alright so I don't need the 2 reference papers, however, then I would need to get a physical exam? You mentioned don't ask don't tell, ok so I don't have to share my arrest in NYC 2 years ago with any of my reference persons right? and if they ask just say no. sorry I'm still new to all this.
    Last edited by Will3212; March 16th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    alright so I don't need the 2 reference papers,
    No, legally in PA they are supposed to ask you for the names, addresses and phone numbers of references and then contact them to speak with them. Philly has them answer the questions they were going to ask on the reference papers instead of calling them.

however, then I would need to get a physical exam?
    That was meant to be a metaphor about what they will do to you if you try to buck the system. You can certainly fight, scream and shout about your rights and make your point, but then they will make their point. In your case you really DON'T want them to dig any deeper. A nail that sticks up generally gets hit with a hammer. As you get older you'll realize that hurts after a while.

You mentioned don't ask don't tell, ok so I don't have to share my arrest in NYC 2 years ago with any of my reference persons right?
    No, you don't have to tell your new neighbors, friends on this forum etc that you have been arrested in the past. If you don't tell me I'm not lieing if I check "no". Now that I have read your post I can't be a reference for you and check no. Get it?

and if they ask just say no. sorry I'm still new to all this.
    I wouldn't lie about it. I'd find someone else that didn't ask me.

However, I am not a lawyer (IANAL) so my advice is simply internet banter worth only the few electrons I've inconvenienced to carry it to you.

(Philadelphia County)

Oh, and seeing as to the facts that you are relatively young and relatively new to the forum I'm going to give you some advice that you are free to take or leave as you wish.

There are some people on this forum that are absolute founts of knowledge and will never lead you in the wrong direction. There are others who state things they "think" they know as facts. It has very little to do with the green dots listed as reputation. I'm not going to slander anyone and tell you they are full of crap. That will be for you to decide. HOWEVER, if a gentleman with the handle Gunlawyer ever pops in and gives you advice, I suggest in the strongest possible terms that you follow it.

(Delaware County)

You are under no obligation to have references fill out anything.
    Simply list 2 references that are not family members.

By LAW, the PPD can't even reveal that you are applying for a gun license.
    You are under no legal obligation to submit to any questioning or interview

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    You are under no obligation to have references fill out anything.
    Simply list 2 references that are not family members.

By LAW, the PPD can't even reveal that you are applying for a gun license.
    You are under no legal obligation to submit to any questioning or interview
    thanks for clearing that up for me

(Delaware County)

thanks for clearing that up for me
    As others will mention.... The PPD has different opinions.
    Prepare for and expect resistance, oppression and ignorance

GL

My advice would be to learn the law to the letter. Know EXACTY where they are asking you to perform illegal steps and then proceed accordingly with your personal comfort level