Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default PICS research day 11

Hi all, new user w/ a few questions!

I just recently purchased my FIRST firearm in the form of a handgun. I was placed into research on 3/5/13 and have yet to hear from my LGS.. I went in there earlier in the week and was told that 'there's nothing we can do to check' and 'it may take more than 15 days if there's extenuating circumstances'.

I'm a new resident to PA, moved from Maryland last year and recently changed my DL (attempted purchase AFTER the change). I ran a background check on myself before purchasing and came back NO RECORD. I had a PBJ in Maryland about 3 years ago but i completed the probation and am not listed as 'convicted' in the MD registry.

Be honest, am I going to end up filling out a challenge letter come next wednesday (day 15)?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PICS research day 11

I don't think having a peanutbutter and jelly sandwitch is a prohibiting offence.

Or is a PBJ something else?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I don't think having a peanutbutter and jelly sandwitch is a prohibiting offence.

It's either probation before judgment, or else he ate a sandwich around a kid with peanut allergies. My guess would be the first option.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

PBJ is a probation before judgement.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's either probation before judgment, or else he ate a sandwich around a kid with peanut allergies. My guess would be the first option.
    Does that mean you serve a punishment without an official verdict?

(York County)

In Maryland, deferred adjudication is called "Probation Before Judgment" or "PBJ" for short. The conditions of this principle are set down in Title 񘩤20 of the state's Criminal Procedure article.[2] This law enables a judge to defer entering a judgment (that is, delay the entry of a "guilty" verdict) if the defendant pleads guilty or nolo contendere in writing, so long as certain conditions are met. Because the judgment is not entered as "guilty," a PBJ does not legally count as a conviction for a crime, and therefore the defendant is spared some hardships of having a criminal record, e.g. for purposes of job applications he or she does not have to disclose it as a conviction, though a full criminal background check will still reveal the case.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_adjudication

This was 3 years ago, it's up for expungement but I haven't started the proceedings yet.

I'm not a Maryland lawyer, but I'd assume it's like the various flavors of quasi-probation we have around here, where you can show that you're worthy and the govt doesn't convict you.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duganz View Post
    In Maryland, deferred adjudication is called "Probation Before Judgment" or "PBJ" for short. The conditions of this principle are set down in Title 񘩤20 of the state's Criminal Procedure article.[2] This law enables a judge to defer entering a judgment (that is, delay the entry of a "guilty" verdict) if the defendant pleads guilty or nolo contendere in writing, so long as certain conditions are met. Because the judgment is not entered as "guilty," a PBJ does not legally count as a conviction for a crime, and therefore the defendant is spared some hardships of having a criminal record, e.g. for purposes of job applications he or she does not have to disclose it as a conviction, though a full criminal background check will still reveal the case.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_adjudication

This was 3 years ago, it's up for expungement but I haven't started the proceedings yet.
    That is interesting. I would think it can be a big plus for some people who made a mistake in their life. What crime was you pbj for? If it was for something that might be a prohibitor that may be why the decision is being delayed.

(York County)

That is interesting. I would think it can be a big plus for some people who made a mistake in their life. What crime was you pbj for? If it was for something that might be a prohibitor that may be why the decision is being delayed.
    Well, not proud of it, but it was for cannabis possession and a non-cannabis possession (which was dropped because I produced my valid prescription at the time).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duganz View Post
    Well, not proud of it, but it was for cannabis possession and a non-cannabis possession (which was dropped because I produced my valid prescription at the time).
    Yeah that would stop you if you were convicted. I realy don't know how it plays out with the pbj. I think that is why you are in research. They may be trying to figure out the translation to Pa law. I would think if you can get it expunged that would be the best option. I think you may get a denial letter. I have no grounding in law so what I posted is just a commonmans way to see it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast