Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default NY resident looking for vacation home in the poconos

I doing some preliminary research into finding a place in Pennsylvania to keep as a vacation home. Where would be some good places to look. I started with the poconos, and pike county in particular due to location and proximity to new york. Any good resources on the net.

As an aside, being an avid firearm owner, are there any laws in particular against discharging firearms on private property, or is it strictl range only shooting? are there plenty of good ranges in the county.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: NY resident looking for vacation home in the poconos

We already have too many transplants from NY here in the Poconos. It's starting to look like East Orange with mountains.

JK GL
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Lackawanna County)

Discharging firearms on your property is a local ordinance matter. You would have to check with the municipality.

On a side note... Many of your brethren who have "escaped" from NY have brought their problems with them. Talk to A LOT of your potential neighbors before deciding on a spot, especially if you're looking for property in closed community like Pocono Pines or the accurately named, Hideout. Also, these places will certainly NOT allow shooting.

Good luck.

(Pike County)

I believe that all of the private communities ban shooting within the community. There are a number of ranges within a 30 min. drive in Pike.
    I am attaching a link to the realtors search the MLS that I used a year and a half ago before moving to Pa. They do not require you to sign up to use the MLS like most do. http://www.wilkins1.com/search01.html
    Cost will be dependent on what you want. If a small, say sub 1000 sq. ft. ranch in a community on .25 to .30 acre is good for you, then you may be able to get away under 100K. If you want a 4 bed 3 bath on 5 acres, I hope you got money.
    When looking in communities, be sure to check for the dues, as they all have them, ranging from $200 to $2000 a year. If you have certain ammenities that you want, pools, tennis, gym, ski, horseback riding be sure that the community you pick has them. The $200 communities usually have road maint, and that is about it. The one I am in has a mix, dues $622, indoor and outdoor pools, gym, tennis, ball field, Private Public Safety patrols, road maint. Check for garabage pick up or on site dump, garbage pick up is $$.
    If you find something, have a GOOD home inspection done. Many developers cut a lot of corners in building. The first 2 houses houses I had under contract failed the inspections badly.
    If you have the money, it's a great time to buy, as it's a buyers market, and houses that have been on the market a while often go a good chunk below asking price.
    Well, I guess I got long winded with this.
    I do live in Pike, and am very happy with where I ended up.
    Feel free to PM me if I can help you with any specific questions. Good searching to ya!

(Philadelphia County)

buy a house next to a state game and land free range?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by blendingnoise View Post
    buy a house next to a state game and land free range?
    And listen to constant gunfire from dawn to dusk. That sounds relaxing.

(Venango County)

definitely.....almost as relaxing as the sound of freedom....aka Jet Noise

Strangely enough after I got out, it was REALLY weird not hearing it....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Pike County)

Talking Re: NY resident looking for vacation home in the poconos

Im new in the forum,but living in Pike for 3 years,Lackawaxen,and I live by the state land,is not even half an acre but I can shoot all day long in my backyard almost to 300 mt and nothing ever happened,my closest neighbor is at one side maybe a 100 mt that's cool,I can spend 300 rounds plinking with my 223 and everybody happy....shoot safe....infidel to the bone...
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Northampton County)

I heard all properties have been sold and the tolls are going up to $40.00 on the Port Jervis bridge, the 206 bridge and the Dingmans bridge. You may still be able find property in Wayne County and get across the Roebling bridge.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

(Monroe County)

Talking Re: NY resident looking for vacation home in the poconos

I hope you are still interested. I have a gorgeous house on 6 very private acres that is not in a community. You can do all the shooting that you want on the property - and if you'd like to hunt, it's full of deer! It's only about 5 minutes to the DWG bridge, on a lovely country road.
    email me if interested. silverbonbon@gmail.com