Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: North Strabane Township Police Oppression

I've been reading Mr. Deangelo's "Police Oppression" rant for some time now & thought I would chime in. First a little perspective on his private shooting range. It's a small piece of property located directly between and slightly behind two businesses in Canonsburg. Deblasio Beverage's is on the left & Aquatech on the right. It's my understanding that Mr. Deangelo wanted to build a crematorium but that was rejected because the property is landlocked behind these businesses. His only access is a "paper alley" right of way that runs from Weavertown Road through the Speer Spring Cemetery. Apparently this was not acceptable to him so he attempted to force the above mentioned businesses into granting & paying for a right of way to his property but failed. He then tried to sell them the property but that also failed. So now his latest brilliant idea is a "Private Shooting Range". His range consists of two pieces of plywood attached to a couple of post for a backstop & his shooting station is another piece of plywood lying on the ground. When using his range he is shooting approximately 20' from these businesses. I believe this is a situation where Mr. Deangelo is legally within his rights but ethically wrong & morally irresponsible. As someone posted earlier just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. Shooting literally feet from where people are working is just idiotic on his part.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by BowTieGuy View Post
    I've been reading Mr. Deangelo's "Police Oppression" rant for some time now & thought I would chime in. First a little perspective on his private shooting range. It's a small piece of property located directly between and slightly behind two businesses in Canonsburg. Deblasio Beverage's is on the left & Aquatech on the right. It's my understanding that Mr. Deangelo wanted to build a crematorium but that was rejected because the property is landlocked behind these businesses. His only access is a "paper alley" right of way that runs from Weavertown Road through the Speer Spring Cemetery. Apparently this was not acceptable to him so he attempted to force the above mentioned businesses into granting & paying for a right of way to his property but failed. He then tried to sell them the property but that also failed. So now his latest brilliant idea is a "Private Shooting Range". His range consists of two pieces of plywood attached to a couple of post for a backstop & his shooting station is another piece of plywood lying on the ground. When using his range he is shooting approximately 20' from these businesses. I believe this is a situation where Mr. Deangelo is legally within his rights but ethically wrong & morally irresponsible. As someone posted earlier just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. Shooting literally feet from where people are working is just idiotic on his part.
    How do the rest of the guys in the department feel?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

. . . . . I believe this is a situation where Mr. Deangelo is legally within his rights but ethically wrong & morally irresponsible. As someone posted earlier just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. . . .
    If something is legal, it means that the government is without power to punish it. Any attempt to use your badge to coerce a citizen in such a case is wrong, and sometimes actionable.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Washington County)

Obviously you have some first-hand knowledge of what his range is all about and even how it is constructed, so to say. Would you care to share how you have come to aquire this information? (SARCASM) Please share how someone using their own property is idiotic when they are doing nothing wrong.
    Last edited by TheGhost27; April 17th, 2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: sarcasm
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Washington County)

I don’t know how to do the cut/quote/paste thing so I’ll just respond.
    Sorry to disappoint you but I don’t belong to the police department or carry a badge. I work near Mr. Deangelos shooting range & have seen it in person.
    I grew up hunting & shooting & continue to do so. Most of what I was taught about firearm safety & responsibility is not a law but rather common sense or courtesy. Things like “walk with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction”, “shoulder your rifle when approaching another hunter”, “follow the range masters instructions” may not be laws but as responsible sportsmen & firearm owners we adhere to them anyhow. Back in my younger days I was taught not to shoot an Albino deer. Is it legal to do so? Yes, it is but I personally would not do it. The same thing applies to Mr. Deangel’s shooting range. Is it legal in North Strabane for him to target shoot on his property? Yes, it is but personally I would not shoot a firearm 20’ from an occupied building legal or not.
    Ghost, Canonsburg Sportsman Club does not allow larger than 9MM to be fired at the range across from the clubhouse due to noise concerns with nearby houses. Is this a law or just being a responsible sportsmen & firearm owner?

I don’t know how to do the cut/quote/paste thing so I’ll just respond.
    Sorry to disappoint you but I don’t belong to the police department or carry a badge. I work near Mr. Deangelos shooting range & have seen it in person.
    I grew up hunting & shooting & continue to do so. Most of what I was taught about firearm safety & responsibility is not a law but rather common sense or courtesy. Things like “walk with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction”, “shoulder your rifle when approaching another hunter”, “follow the range masters instructions” may not be laws but as responsible sportsmen & firearm owners we adhere to them anyhow. Back in my younger days I was taught not to shoot an Albino deer. Is it legal to do so? Yes, it is but I personally would not do it. The same thing applies to Mr. Deangel’s shooting range. Is it legal in North Strabane for him to target shoot on his property? Yes, it is but personally I would not shoot a firearm 20’ from an occupied building legal or not.
    Ghost, Canonsburg Sportsman Club does not allow larger than 9MM to be fired at the range across from the clubhouse due to noise concerns with nearby houses. Is this a law or just being a responsible sportsmen & firearm owner?
    I think the point of this thread is about the "police oppression", which is what you call it when the police use their power to enforce laws that don't exist.

It's the responsible thing to send "thank you" notes for gifts received, but what would you call it if the cops showed up and arrested you for failing to send the notes in a timely manner?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Washington County)

Although I strongly disagree with the rule at the pistol range and find it to be very inconvenient, especially if there happens to be people at the rifle range(who wants to shoot a pistol 25yds?), I find your argument to be irrelevant. Although it is not illegal to shoot said pistol at the pistol range, it is THE CLUB'S rule and I no matter how much i disagree with it, I do respect it.

In the case of Mr. Deangelo's range/property, he owns it and is doing NOTHING illegal.

Next time you attempt to make a point, please present relevant information. Thanks
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Allegheny County)

What the businesses and rest of the community need to do is petition the municipality to implement some some sort of law against noise, or firearm discharge and make this guys range actually illegal.

If you want to shoot guns around people's residences or businesses, in my opinion you can get f**cked.

But, until that happens, cops should just leave this douche bag alone.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by dazeeman View Post
    What the businesses and rest of the community need to do is petition the municipality to implement some some sort of law against noise, or firearm discharge and make this guys range actually illegal.

If you want to shoot guns around people's residences or businesses, in my opinion you can get f**cked.

But, until that happens, cops should just leave this douche bag alone.
    There's a little red for you.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    There's a little red for you.
    Im not touching you...im not touching you...im still not touching you.

Grow up brah.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast